how to crop dashcam file

dave798

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
K1s , Mobius , SG9665GC
hi can anybody tell me how i crop a dashcam file/footage. i have dashcam set to record 5 minute files however after a recent incident i would like to send a 20 second footage from a file can anybody tell me if this is possible also how do i do this.
many thanks

I use ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -ss 65 -i a119-1.mp4 -t 21 -c copy out1.mp4

this would extract footage starting at 65 seconds up to 86 seconds (21 seconds long) without re-encoding

hi can anybody tell me how i crop a dashcam file/footage. i have dashcam set to record 5 minute files however after a recent incident i would like to send a 20 second footage from a file can anybody tell me if this is possible also how do i do this.
many thanks

If you have a Mac computer and are using QuickTime Player (supplied with the OS) you can easily Split and Trim video clips to any desired length. You can also combine clips using the "Add Clip to End" menu selection.

Quicktime.jpg

Last edited:
2nd vote for avidemux. it can do it without re-encoding and works on mac/linux/windows. Registrator Viewer looks more geared towards archive/organization.

You may need to send unaltered files for legal reasons depending on what happened.

Registrator Viewer is not reencoding and is very simple to use in 4 steps
Ctrl+Home for start of the cut
Ctrl+End for end of the cut
Ctrl+S to save the desired segment of the video.

enjoy,
Mtz

Registrator Viewer is also good for Novatek platform to remove the 1 second overlap when joining files that are exported

Yep, lots of ways to do this. Yet another option: You can use Export Movie Fragment feature of Dashcam Viewer produce a clip

export_clip1.jpg

- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

@dave798 the thread title is wrong. Instead of crop you should use Cut or Trim. Will be nice if you will edit the topic title.

enjoy,
Mtz

yeah i believe crop is if you zoom in one some part of the footage.

Back