Program avi files?

randy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukas lk-7900 Ace (2), Mobius C2
hello,
Seeking input on a safe program I can download to my laptop to edit AVI files....
The registrator viewer will not edit them. Thanks!

wow this is frustrating. I have tried 4 different programs and they will not work. I am transferring these videos from my SD card to my desktop and they are AVI files....I do not understand why or what that is. I have tried the Registrator Viewer, Windows Movie Maker, VirtualDUB, and one other I cant remember the name of that was like solveigmm or something. VirtualDUB says "Couldn't locate decompressor for format H264" when I try to open a video. My experience with computers is very limited, any help would be appreciated, thanks. I am simply trying to edit these videos, but particularly cut time in them.

AVI files are tricky, RegistratorViewer will only edit/export MOV / MP4 videos.

I believe http://DashCamViewer.com has limited export abilities, give it a shot. (not sure if both Mac and Windows versions has it)

Thank you for this response. I was able to download this program and play my videos but I do not see anywhere I can edit it. I downloaded the free version so I'm not sure if that made a difference...but I am looking cut smalls portions out of the three minutes videos I have.

Maybe @traveler can elaborate. It appears to be a Mac only feature at this time.

Mx6onIi.png

Assuming you are using a Windows machine as you have WMM? What's the error you get when you try to import your avi?

I was not running the latest version of windows movie maker so that is why it was requiring the codec download. I downloaded the latest version of WMM and everything is fine now. Thanks to everyone for the help.

wow this is frustrating. I have tried 4 different programs and they will not work. I am transferring these videos from my SD card to my desktop and they are AVI files....I do not understand why or what that is. I have tried the Registrator Viewer, Windows Movie Maker, VirtualDUB, and one other I cant remember the name of that was like solveigmm or something. VirtualDUB says "Couldn't locate decompressor for format H264" when I try to open a video. My experience with computers is very limited, any help would be appreciated, thanks. I am simply trying to edit these videos, but particularly cut time in them.
I've viewed and edited avi files that have h264 (avc) video in them using Virtualdub successfully. I think Virtualdub utilizes Windows' old school VFW codecs (from Windows 95 era?) for opening/saving files directly. Get a full featured freeware open source codec pack with 64 bit support such as K-Lite Mega Codec Pack or similar. And be sure to update Microsoft DirectX and install x264 and all other VFW codecs. And reboot/signout before using everything. Videohelp.com forums are great for more info. Cheers :)

Back