SGZC12RC - 3D Printable Dashcam Mount (DIY project via customer)

Nice custom 3D print side fit
Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out how to mount these guys in my DeLorean. Lots of ideas, but it's tough to find something that's unobtrusive and still has good visibility in a car with half of the roof included in the door!

Looks nice, I might use your mount. I just rewired one of my side cameras (cables through the door) though I put them on the rear doors. How did you attach the mount? vhb tape? or tucked in under the trim seal?

The mount is tucked under the weatherstripping and the headliner. No adhesive involved.

Mr. Fusion's backordered, and I can't just buy plutonium at the corner store, so time travel isn't possible at the moment ;)

Okay, word to the wise: do NOT print this with PLA! Noticed this after two days of being installed:

20160913_171505-1024x768.jpg

Pulled them back out, then I saw my mistake:

20160913_193537-1024x768.jpg

PLA has a glassing point of only 60 C, easily reachable in a car, ABS would be a much better choice as it doesn't glass until at least 105 C.

As an aside, I am also upgrading the mounts while they are out to encompass the lens side as well. Should provide better support anyhow. Will post pics when that's done!

Forgot to post part 2, which I've been running ever since with zero issues. Printed with ABS-R on my Micro3D (also in the background of the first picture).

Pre-installation:

SideCam_DualMount_01s.jpg

Installed:

SideCam_DualMount_02s.jpg

Could've printed them in black for a more discreet install, but honestly, it blends in quite well with the doors closed anyways, so I don't see any particular reason to change it up. Not to mention it matches the interior!

I modified your stl file in meshmixer for mounting it on the rear door itself and used VHB tape to mount. Basically I cut off your second twist and extended the mounting surface area. I printed it in ABS black. I scaled down your mount on the z axis a little because it was slightly too big for the camera. I decided to leave some room anyway and I used black electrical tape around the mount area before putting the mount over which gave me infinite adjustability to create the right fit. Thanks for creating it. All I had to do was learn how to modify it for my car. For my purposes, I only required one mount and the VHB tape has enough bonding to hold the camera on nice and firm.

I will post a picture later.

Sweet, glad it helped you out! Can't wait for those pics :)

By the way, getting the diameter to be just the right size is an exercise all in itself. Made something like 10-20 rings of varying widths and diameters just to hone in that "perfect" size for the dual mounts, took notes on fitment along the way. I don't even know if I tweaked it further, I might have -- I think the part that is tightened by the ring screw was version 4 and the other part went on a couple more versions before I got it printed just right. Thank goodness 3D printing is a cheap hobby or I'd be broke doing this!

Needless to say, in printing this, your mileage will vary! Be prepared to print more than one of these for perfect fitment!!!

Here are some pictures of the modified mount installed on the rear door. The outside of the mount has black electrical tape over it as well to conceal it a bit as the ABS black is a bit shiny.

Yes I agree, getting the size right is hard and it's still not right but some electrical tape wrapped around the camera itself before you put the mount on made it nice and tight but not too tight.

Attachments

• 20161025_112546.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20161025_111855.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20161025_112153.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Digging the install. Looks good! Does the wiper reach the lens there? That's the only thing I don't like about driving a sedan -- no wipers for the rear cameras!

Here are some pictures of the modified mount installed on the rear door. The outside of the mount has black electrical tape over it as well to conceal it a bit as the ABS black is a bit shiny.
cool, you need to get a 90 degree connector for the camera to hide the cable more.

I think a Deloran would do better with a 6 inch upside down IP camera on the roof, you might be able to hide it somewhat as a V 2.0 Mr. Fusion reactor.

Yeah a angle USB plug will make it much more neater

Digging the install. Looks good! Does the wiper reach the lens there? That's the only thing I don't like about driving a sedan -- no wipers for the rear cameras!

This is a side camera, the rear passenger door so no wiper there :)

cool, you need to get a 90 degree connector for the camera to hide the cable more.

I originally did that of course but the issue is there's no space behind the plastic door cover running around the door/window frame and those cables are short (25 or 50cm) and there's no space for the connector behind the trim. There's also no two metre 90 degree cables that I could find anywhere. Also I tried chopping off two cables and joining/soldering them inline however this turned out to not be reliable. Also on my car the wiring harness/grommet/connector that runs into the B pillar only has one small round hole free that I can run cabling through into the door (the rest of the connector is a pin type interface) so I had to cut one end off to route it. I had no choice but to use the 2M OEM cable, cut off one end, run that down the door and through the wiring connector into the back of the B pillar and then solder it to a tiny USB break out board (see other thread for photos), wrap that in shielding then connect it to the 5M OEM cable running to the RC unit. I also put heat shrink on that join so it never comes apart.

I would've loved to use the 90 degree adapter like I have elsewhere in the car.

This is a side camera, the rear passenger door so no wiper there :)
Oh, okay. I thought "rear door" meant hatchback for some reason, with a side-opening door.

@Shep I just had a customer call that wants to setup the same RC side view weather strip mount setup you have. They might be contacting you via PM or posting here at some point for further advice. :)

Thank you to Street Guardian USA for spending such a long time on the phone with me, and pointing me to this thread. I will shortly be ordering a SGZC12RC unit from him for my Smart Car - the reason for my purchase is to record parked footage, where a vandal has been breaking my driver side view mirror on a biweekly basis. I am hoping that a combination of { Shep's mount + SGZC12RC + Vico-Power Plus } will allow me to finally capture the vandal in action as he is breaking the mirror, so that I could report him to my local police precinct.

Just replied to your PM zontik! I'll be happy to help you catch this bastard red-handed! :D

I'm going to take the opportunity as well to update the Thingiverse page with the newest model once the print finishes and I confirm fitment. I seem to have neglected that step last go around.

$5 USD for each two-piece camera mount, plus shipping, if you go through me. I do international, can't guarantee it'll be quick though.

Thingiverse link again for those that prefer to print their own parts: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1765617

Back