One-step RAW to DNG conversion

ml72

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd like to share a (Windows) batch file that converts the Xiaomi Yi's RAW files into DNG files in one step. If you install the batch file in the Windows "sendto" folder, you can use it to create DNG files by right-clicking on one or more RAW files in Windows Explorer and "sending to" the batch file.

The batch file uses a similar approach to the one outlined in this thread, but doesn't require multiple steps or an interactive GUI. It also embeds XMP metadata in the DNG files so that they open up in Adobe Raw Converter with settings that try to approximate the appearance of the Xiaomi Yi JPEG files.

Download link at the bottom of this page:

http://www.tawbaware.com/xiaomiyi.htm

Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't download the script atm, will try this later.

If you (try to) open a Yi Action Cam raw file in irfanview (maybe just vanilla irfanview, but certainly irfanview with the raw decoder plug-in also installed), it shows a form of decoding options that, presumably, are those used by Dave Coffin in dcraw. My guess is that someone who knows what parameters to put in there (lots of sensor tech detail) would end up with the necessary data embedded in the file to turn it from an unknown format into a RAW format that can be read as Yi Action Cam RAW directly (maybe requiring an extension change, e.g. YAW). If that can then be added to the list of dcraw's supported formats then it wouldn't be long before the scores of graphics programs, both freeware and payware, that use dcraw as their decoding library would automatically import Yi RAW without needing any intermediate DNG stage.

ML72 thanks for the updates and the info on the Yi in http://www.tawbaware.com/xiaomiyi.htm. Very useful.

I corrected the lens focus and applied your XYC hack. Very handy, thanks.

I am struggling a bit with the RAW conversion however. The camera is taking RAW images (does this just work for images taken in camera mode and not for "stills" taken during video recording ?). Anyhoo I have the Yi RAW image, downloaded your bat file, RAW2DNG and EXIFTOOL ... but I am struggling to piece it all together. I'm not even sure the EXIFTOOL has unzipped properly !.

I need to give my brain a rest and have another look when I am fresh but thanks for the work you have put into this,

Good information, thx.

Last edited by a moderator:
ML72 thanks for the updates and the info on the Yi in http://www.tawbaware.com/xiaomiyi.htm. Very useful.

I corrected the lens focus and applied your XYC hack. Very handy, thanks.

I am struggling a bit with the RAW conversion however. The camera is taking RAW images (does this just work for images taken in camera mode and not for "stills" taken during video recording ?). Anyhoo I have the Yi RAW image, downloaded your bat file, RAW2DNG and EXIFTOOL ... but I am struggling to piece it all together. I'm not even sure the EXIFTOOL has unzipped properly !.

I need to give my brain a rest and have another look when I am fresh but thanks for the work you have put into this,
I'm in the same boat, can't understand how to arrange the batch file I created.

Back