Mini 0806 - blue light on when plugged in but otherwise dead

Igor Kolomiyets

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

this morning my 0806 failed to start. Only blue light is on when it is powered up but otherwise it does not react to switch on button.

I tried as well to press the power button for 20+ seconds to no avail. Also, tried to charge the battery for couple of hours (both connected to laptop via USB and connected to the mobile phone charger) with the same result.

Does it mean that it banjaxed or may be there is still a chance to revive it?

If i understand things correctly, in my case battery died completely. So, it might not necessarily be the end of the path for the unit in question. It was showing signs of ill health for quite a while now: for example camera could complain about low battery after 5-6 hours of drive while it is connected to the power source all the time. And the car was not used for two days before it happened.

Also, i noticed that when battery is nearly flat sometimes camera fails to start recording. To me it looks as if it power up only from the battery and the power supply just recharges the battery. So, again, in my case replacing the battery could help, unless of course there was more damage to the camera due to the low power voltage.

I've already ordered a new battery. Will see in few weeks time if it makes any difference.

From the other hand it is kind of frustrating that battery did not even last two years and it was constantly used. Taking into account rather high price of the unit i would expect much better quality from the components that were used to build it.

I can confirm that my theory was correct: replacement battery helped, at least for a while.

After driving with revived mini for couple of weeks, temperature dropped sharply outside and one day it stopped working again. I checked the battery and it is ok. There was some temporary glitch.
But now it looks like with all these messing with camera's internal stuff one of the cable got damaged. Camera is charging and working ok when is charged through the mini USB socket but does not charge via housing. Also, GPS signal is intermittently dropped, so i suspect it is a short cable that goes from housing to the circuit board that got damaged.

Can you please confirm what cable i can use to replace it? Is there any particular requirements for it? I'm not 100% positive but i think the original one is screened.

This has happened to me twice and both times I reformatted the card in the unit and the problem went away. Never touched the unit. Not saying it's your problem - but around these parts the problems tend to be either the battery or the card.

Back