Vico TF2+ USB socket broken: any repair options?

Deeday-UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

the mini-USB power socket on my Vico TF2+ has just broken, while I was trying (carefully as I always do) to plug in the USB cable - which is utterly annoying, considering that I must have plugged/unplugged it just a handful of times in three years. Did they solder it with chewing gum or something? :mad:

The camera is currently a very expensive paper weight: are there any options to have the socket re-soldered, before I sell it on eBay as broken?

Thanks!

Is it still under warranty?

My guess is that the solder has cracked on the feet of the jack. It happens quite often especially to stereo audio jacks.

Its gonna need some disassembly but a couple of touches with an iron should fix it.

Hi flip9, I bought it in Feb 2014. I'll double-check, but I doubt it's still under any warranty.
If that's the problem, is it something an electronics repair shop can normally do? (I guess I'll have to google 'electronics repair shop' or something).
The socket has indeed come loose; it would probably fall off, if it fitted through the opening in the plastic case.

You can give an electronics repair shop a try. I cant find any disassembly guide online so it could be tricky taking the casing off and putting it back without damaging anything.

Theres also a chance the board has cracked off.

Either the solder has let go of the jack (repairable) or the traces have pulled loose from the circuit board (not really repairable). Until it's open you can't know. Easy for any electronics technician or most Ham radio operators (if you know one). We're mostly a helpful sort :)

Phil

Back