Speedcam Database

sandiego69

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a poster from Belgium who is saying that he has been sent a file by Thinkware which covers Europe. In particular he states that it works in his country (Belgium).

I contacted Thinkware in the UK and they said that there isn't any update that will include Europe.

Who do I believe?

If any body has a Europe file, please post it as I am touring in France very soon.

I was told at some point Thinkware were planning to do that but i never heard anymore about it. I am 99% sure even if they do it won't include France as it's illegal there.

Just noticed that the Europe speedcam database is now available for the F770.

I loaded the new Europe file but oh dear! The UK database is no more!

Unfortunately, Thinkware are not aware that the UK is part of Europe and will still be part of Europe even after we exit from the EU.

Who should we write to?

I have emailed them asking what countries are included in the Europe file...I will let you know the outcome.

UK & France not included in the Europe database. France is because it's illegal to have a camera warning device full stop. UK is because we use MPH and the camera can only do KMH or MPH not both together.

UK & France not included in the Europe database. France is because it's illegal to have a camera warning device full stop. UK is because we use MPH and the camera can only do KMH or MPH not both together.

quite logical really once you get the explanation

Any one know if it is possible to convert other radar data format (.gpx, .upoi......etc), to THINKWARE .dx2 format?

Thanks to all especially Maddog. Whats Thinkwares e-mail BTW?

I suspected as such regarding the legality of the French database. Having said that, I can use, albeit untested, the system on my Android phone and more importantly my Garmin Sat nav. With both systems there is a database which is possible to download and load on but with the usual caveats.

I intend to have the Garmin database on a SD card so if stopped by plod ( highly unlikely) I can pull the card out in seconds. There is a law in France which prevents the Police from inspecting your Sat nav in detail without a Court Warrant.

The Smart phone is another matter and needs a bit more thought.

There is a law in France which prevents the Police from inspecting your Sat nav in detail without a Court Warrant.

I doubt that French Police worry too much about complying with laws inconvenient to them ;)

Thanks to all especially Maddog. Whats Thinkwares e-mail BTW?

Sorry i only have some individuals email addresses which i can't give out as they are our main contacts. You probably know that Thinkware use TMTI (Talk Me Through It) in the UK for support and their email is support.uk@thinkware.com

Otherwise you can message me through here and i will try my best but i am a busy boy!! (We distribute many products and im support to them all!)

The unavailability of combining Canada and US speedcam database is very inconvenient considering the close proximity and easy at which we can travel between the two countries. This would also apply to UK and Europe. The explanation of why this is not available is weak considering that navigation databases have this.

The speedcam database is merely accessed with the gps coordinates and the information stored is read and communicated. I doubt if the dashcam checks its setting for speed units to determine if it should say MPH of KPH. (I will check this out by changing my setting to MPH for Canada.) In either case, being notified of pending speedcam information even though the speed limit info would be incorrect is better than nothing. I think people would be able to mentally perform the conversion.

Most likely Thinkware has an agreement with who ever supplies the speedcam database that that is the way the regions will be divided and provided.

Is there a way to combine two speedcam database dx2 files?

There is a very simple answer to this. It means separate files for each country but it isn't 'rocket science'.

We could then have different countries and their settings on seperate SD cards which would then be loaded as and when needed.

Simple!

Dear Sirs,

Is it anythere I can find to view speed cameras database on map?

I would like to know if the speed cameras warning will work in my country and how many them.

Thank You in advance.

Darius

I'm sure we could get these files from somewhere else than wait for Thinkware to release them.

Maybe some other device uses the same file type?

Back in August Maddog said he would write to Thinkware asking 'what countries are included in the Europe database'.

I am not sure if he has come back to us with an answer?

If the database is from Cyclops it is the same as the one used by Garmin on a subscription.

I can't remember if the file(s) are in "gpx" format but if they are then they can be shown in both Garmins Basecamp and in Google earth.

Hi,
I am new user F750. Already on question regarding speedcam file.
Shall I must put again speedcam file to driveinfo directory after format sd card with camera or mobile app format function?
Or is it stays already in camera?
Thanks,
Darius

Hi,
I am new user F750. Already on question regarding speedcam file.
Shall I must put again speedcam file to driveinfo directory after format sd card with camera or mobile app format function?
Or is it stays already in camera?
Thanks,
Darius

It should stay on the camera :D

Anyone know if the AU database is any good?

Back