Mini 0807 GPS Intermittent Operation

Maverick

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I received my Mini 0807 a week ago from GearBest and have had no luck with the GPS, it currently works 10% of the time and requires the camera to be detached from the mount and plugged back in for the GPS to work although sometimes is comes good all by itself for a short time.

The connectors all look good, the power is to the micro usb port on the GPS mount. When the GPS is not working it does rapid flashes in a pattern and sometimes it's more like a flicker (hard to tell when driving) whereas it appears when the GPS does work that the flash is a slower more steady flash.

Any suggestions as to anything else that can be checked before I contact GearBest? There is some mention of similar problems in this thread - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/news-firmware-0807.19918/page-3.

Firmware versions are Camera 20160713, MCU/GPS 20160615 and Card 20160413. I haven't flashed any of these again as I couldn't find 20160713 anywhere.

Last edited:
Power cycling the camera multiple times ends up with the GPS working for a short time before the speed on the display "sticks" at the current speed and no longer updates and the GPS light starts flickering. Power cycling will being it back again for a short time.

The advice that I'm about to give you could be totally wrong for your situation, I don't know. I had trouble with my unit staying on. For me, I needed to lower the parking guard threshold voltage from the default 13.8V to 13.4V. This setting is within the menu item called "Senior Setting".

The advice that I'm about to give you could be totally wrong for your situation, I don't know. I had trouble with my unit staying on. For me, I needed to lower the parking guard threshold voltage from the default 13.8V to 13.4V. This setting is within the menu item called "Senior Setting".

Thanks, I'm not using the parking mode so I power it up everytime the car starts which should rule out any issues with it being powered on. I don't use any of the lane departure settings etc and the main change was to turn on the speedo display as the GPS wasn't working very often and this way I could observe it.

Heat isn't an issue as the car is parked in a garage and rarely in the sun.

Ah right, I missed that you aren't using the OBDII port. It may be worth trying the OBDII port as an experiment. Other than that, maybe there is a bad connection somewhere or faulty hardware.

I ordered another Mini 0807 and this has the same problem except it doesn't even receive any GPS data.

Is this a software or hardware problem? The units came from GearBest.

@Maverick Would you remove the GPS base and connect it again ? or remove power and charge again?

@Maverick Would you remove the GPS base and connect it again ? or remove power and charge again?

Hi Joy,

I've tried both GPS bases in and out of the car with both units and only the original unit picks up the GPS now and again whereas the new one doesn't at all.

Any suggestions? These must be the newer hardware versions and I can't find a newer firmware to test.

@Maverick Firmware can not solve this problem , would you contact the retailer for warranty? We have new external GPS that may fix the problem.

@Maverick Firmware can not solve this problem , would you contact the retailer for warranty? We have new external GPS that may fix the problem.

GrarBest already discounted a new one to save having to send the old one back so there's no warranty. Are you saying it's just the GPS base on the windscreen that is at fault? Where can I get two of these?

@Maverick ,yes , only GPS base , only we have now ,it is new and not release yet , can you mail me joy@skyhigh-global.com or give me your mail ,thanks .

i have similar problem, my GPS doesn't work 50% of the time. will new GPS base solve the problem?

also, when powered on, the 0807 makes startup sound, and after another error beep. don't have this with my second device... can this be the reason for GPS not working properly? is there is a way to see the log why this may be happening?

I just got my unit today, and I can tell if you are using the micro USB port the GPS WILL NOT WORK!!
My understanding is the GPS base needs 12V power supply, but the micro USB port will only give 5V.
So if you are using the cigarette lighter to USB port power supply, you might have a nonfunctional GPS base.
Try use the OBDII port to the coaxial connector power supply or the optional hardwire kit, drive for about 5 mins around and see if your GPS is online

Last edited:
This isn't correct, the GPS is also powered by the micro USB port.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This isn't correct, the GPS is also powered by the micro USB port.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I understand the fact that there is a micro USB port on the GPS base, but unfortunately I can only assume that's only for power delivery to the camera itself unless you can find a way to deliver 12V power to the micro USB port
that's why I say better try the OBDII before calling the GPS base bad because OBDII is 12V standard (mostly, some is 24V so look close and see if your OBDII port is blue or not)

the 12v connection is to do with their parking mode function, the camera is still 5v powered
yes, but think it this way, don't you think require higher voltage in the parking mode is kinda odd (I would assume in parking mode GPS is in stamina mode and it should require less power anyway)?
that's why I guess camera itself works fine with 5V, but if you connect camera + GPS base you will need 12V
I can only say @Joy will know the answer of this

yes, but think it this way, don't you think require higher voltage in the parking mode is kinda odd (I would assume in parking mode GPS is in stamina mode and it should require less power anyway)?
that's why I guess camera itself works fine with 5V, but if you connect camera + GPS base you will need 12V
I can only say @Joy will know the answer of this

The GPS is powered when you use the Micro USB port, I can confirm this as I have tested it numerous times and I only use the Micro USB port. Why on earth would they change the operation from every other Mini XXXX to require 12V? It makes no sense and they haven't done this.

Parking mode is automatically enabled when you supply 12V via the OBD port, if you don't want to use parking mode you don't need to use the OBD cable.

I understand the fact that there is a micro USB port on the GPS base, but unfortunately I can only assume that's only for power delivery to the camera itself unless you can find a way to deliver 12V power to the micro USB port
that's why I say better try the OBDII before calling the GPS base bad because OBDII is 12V standard (mostly, some is 24V so look close and see if your OBDII port is blue or not)

I've already performed testing and if you read above you will see that I get intermittent operation and I've spoken to the manufacturer who is assisting with updated GPS bases.

Back