Cheap Polarizer

jimsander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blah blah blah - bought cheap polarizing film to test DIY before an official part arrives, and wanted to post some results for public information purposes.

Here's the product link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B015SDB1Q0
Results withOUT the cheap polarizing film:
no-polarizer.jpeg

Results WITH the cheap polarizing film:
yes-polarizer.jpeg

Personal commentary:

I aligned the angle of the polarizer for maximum glare reduction "by eye." It's pretty obvious even on screen.

I think the adhesive, especially after it picked up oils from my fingers and some dust from my car interior, is responsible for the blurring.

Based on my tests, for my application I don't think there's enough improvement to justify the decrease in light transmission - which will hurt night performance. I'm going to just live with some glare unless a way better option comes along. Was totally worth fancy-cup-of-coffee bucks to experiment, especially since I still have plenty of film left for the future if I want.

The second photo with polarizer I assume definitely has less glare, however the brightness is reduced (which is obvious) and so is the reduced sharpness too.

reduced sharpness too.
That's because the polarizer he used has adhesive across the entire thing, not just the edges, so the lens has to look though adhesive, which is blurry when not completely attached to another flat piece of glass or plastic.

That's because the polarizer he used has adhesive across the entire thing, not just the edges, so the lens has to look though adhesive, which is blurry when not completely attached to another flat piece of glass or plastic.
I see, thanks for the clarification. That won't be a good material for a filter then, as this A118C is already quite mediocre at night, with the adhesive further blurring the images, it's a no for me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
David Sheets A118 (B40) 3
R A118 (B40) 6
Back