Have you ever had your dashcam kill your battery in parking mode?

Have you ever had your dashcam kill your battery? -- parking mode

• yes parked less than 12hr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes parked 12-23hr

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nhwr

Reaction score
Country
United States
just wondering if anyone has had any battery issues running the DR650s-2ch in parking mode? i have a 2015 jetta and I'm just a bit hesitant leaving it on all night. i park in a parking garage with about 90 spots. i normally leave it off, but id rather leave it on.

No, that's why I have a Vico Power-Plus in my vehicle with the A119, and a F50 (which has low voltage cutoff) in the other two vehicles.

RodeoGeorge

No, that's why I have a Vico Power-Plus in my vehicle with the A119, and a F50 (which has low voltage cutoff) in the other two vehicles.

RodeoGeorge

they will still lessen the life of most types of car battery, you just have far less chance of the added problem of getting stuck with a flat battery

i have the power magic pro, but it has 2 voltage settings 12v, and 12.5v. the 12.5v is too high and it cuts off right away :/

i have the power magic pro, but it has 2 voltage settings 12v, and 12.5v. the 12.5v is too high and it cuts off right away :/

That's one of the areas where the Vico Power-Plus shines.

The cutoff voltage can be set to a value of between 11.4V and 12.6V in .2V increments.

The resting voltage for all three of my vehicles is in the 12.6V area. I set the Power-Plus to cutoff at 12.2V and have never had a problem with starting the vehicles.

As to the concern of a Dashcam lessening the life of a battery, I do not think that the Dashcam does that any more than the myriad of electronic drains (Clock, Radio Memory, etc.) that are placed on the battery. If a reasonable voltage is selected, and deep discharge is avoided, the battery can handle the situation.

RodeoGeorge

That's one of the areas where the Vico Power-Plus shines.

The cutoff voltage can be set to a value of between 11.4V and 12.6V in .2V increments.

The resting voltage for all three of my vehicles is in the 12.6V area. I set the Power-Plus to cutoff at 12.2V and have never had a problem with starting the vehicles.

As to the concern of a Dashcam lessening the life of a battery, I do not think that the Dashcam does that any more than the myriad of electronic drains (Clock, Radio Memory, etc.) that are placed on the battery. If a reasonable voltage is selected, and deep discharge is avoided, the battery can handle the situation.

RodeoGeorge

im definitely going to look into getting that soon, not a bad price either!

I have. It was with a K1S camera though. Killed two paralleled 930cca Odyssey Group 65 AGM batteries on an F250 diesel in just under two weeks.

With the DR650s-2ch, I have had it running in another F250 diesel for a week without any issues. However, that vehicle has a third auxiliary battery and solar panels on the roof.

I have one more DR650s-2ch that's going in the Mustang but it's getting a Multi Safer to be on the safe side.

2010 Ford Fusion. 36 hours is pretty much my cut off point before I can't start it.

That's one of the areas where the Vico Power-Plus shines. The cutoff voltage can be set to a value of between 11.4V and 12.6V in .2V increments.
There is an option to calibrate the voltage reading in 0.1V steps it seems. You could possibly use that as a way to fine-tune the cutoff voltage to 0.1V accuracy.

I just bought one, haven't tried it yet.

I also have the Vico Power-Plus for my DR650S-2CH. Currently have cutoff set for 12.4 VDC and 12 hours. Looking at dropping it to 12.2 VDC.

The two Power Magic Pro settings are 11.8v and 12.0v. In the case of VW 11.8 works fine as you wouldn't want to go much less than 11.8 (IIRC 11.6 is the actual value where you start getting warning lights) anyway or you're gonna end up with a ! or a CEL.

It helps to know what kind of battery you have. Regular flooded starting batteries do NOT tolerate being run down.

Vehicle batteries are of two main types these days: flooded lead-acid, or AGM (absorbed glass-mat). They are the same chemistry but slightly different construction. The AGM battery will have a slightly higher resting voltage compare to a standard flooded lead-acid battery. AGM will also be more durable, and tolerate deeper discharging without killing the battery.

Standard flooded-type starting batteries are easily damaged by running them all the way down to dead. You do that more than a couple of times with a regular battery, and you can end up having to replace it (AGMs deep-cycle much better, but you will still shorten their life by repeatedly discharging them down to nothing) Also note that some cars alternators are designed for a particular type of battery, and their charging voltages/strategies are also different... so you can't always swap in a different battery type for your vehicle (for instance, AGMs are sensitive to overcharging).

I actually installed a second battery in my truck for the express purpose of powering my Blackvue and some other accessories. The blackvue draws about 0.7 Amps, so a 100Ah (Amp-hour) battery will power it for about three days (72 hours) and only be discharged about 50%.

I have the PowerMagic Pro. Couple nights the camera powered off. On one occasion when I didn't start my car for 3 days the battery went dead. Sometimes it doesn't start up as easily. Battery is 2 years old and I have trickle charged it. Might have to play with the PMP setting.

I have the PowerMagic Pro. Couple nights the camera powered off. On one occasion when I didn't start my car for 3 days the battery went dead. Sometimes it doesn't start up as easily. Battery is 2 years old and I have trickle charged it. Might have to play with the PMP setting.

The last PowerMagic Pro I received was DOA right out of the box (seemed very cheaply-made anyway)... so I went with a different battery low-voltage disconnect by Wirthco:

71WxJ5MRr4L._SL1500_.jpg

I have set the parking motion sensor sensitivity to 0 and the shock sensitivity to about 50. If I set both to 0 would the unit stay off while parked? I took my MDX to Acura because of battery drain and they disconnected my HFL (hands free). It still drains the battery.

If you're using a PMP or similar and are using Parking Mode, irrespective of the settings, your camera is still running (though possibly not recording) for the duration of time that you've set.

Yes, it will drain your battery. My Qashqai battery was replaced after 2 years (still under warranty).

Regards

John

Back