M2 footage dash and action

I think gopro have a agreement with google/youtube, to make their footage just a little bit better looking.

Several times have a tried to UL to youtube the same footage from 2 different cameras but otherwise same bitrate and file container, and there is often clear differences the 2 on youtube where the raw footage from the 2 cameras look pretty much the same.

And i find that hard to understand.

any differences in encoding? not just bitrate and container, but version, level, and advanced settings of the encode. not sure how this works with hardware encoding, but software encoding each option can make a world of difference. I imagine each chip is doing everything differently.

I think gopro have a agreement with google/youtube, to make their footage just a little bit better looking.

Several times have a tried to UL to youtube the same footage from 2 different cameras but otherwise same bitrate and file container, and there is often clear differences the 2 on youtube where the raw footage from the 2 cameras look pretty much the same.

And i find that hard to understand.

Just to be clear, that GoPro shot isn't from Youtube. It's taken off my own video on my own pc from a screen shot of Windows Media Player.

I truly don't think they would release a camera with inferior hardware, I think with firmware updates it will eventually surpass Mobius 1 in quality.

But first adopters will have to wait many months in the dark, and the complete lack of transparency is disappointing at best.

I've been temporarily using my M2 as my primary camera while my GC is away for repair. I left the camera running one evening and captured these kids messing about in a public car park. It's very noisy with lots of hot pixels, but it's still better than no camera at all.

Here's a frame grab from the original file
MOBIUS0009892.mp4_20170908_141050.868.jpg

I've been temporarily using my M2 as my primary camera while my GC is away for repair. It's very noisy with lots of hot pixels, (...)

Here's a frame grab from the original file
View attachment 33098
The "mighty" M2, which was supposed to kick the M1 to the corner in every aspect, yet has the same grainy night quality that made me return the two M1's I bought. :censored:

Some of the early C2 Mobius had minor focus issues (mine being one of those) and that also affected night-time vids, but not to this degree :eek: Just more M2 failure here. IMHO the proper thing to do would be to stop making the M2 if they're not going to fix it's myriad problems, at least until they can get is sorted out. Better than nothing but still short of what most cams in it's price range can do :( I hope you get your GC back soon TonyM ;)

The M2 is the Edsel of dashcams :mad:

Phil

My G1W clone with it's GP chipset, crappy lens, and pulsating video is the "Yugo" of cams; the M2 is actually better :p

The Edsel is almost the perfect corollary with the M2. Both are/were mid-level products, both with advanced features, both styled unlike most others, both had/have some severe inherent issues related to design which were not tested and worked out before hitting the market, of which a few of those flaws were/are essentially insurmountable without a huge amount of work and cash which they weren't given in time to save them :(

The biggest difference is that they actually got almost all the bugs worked out of the Edsel though it took a lot of effort and money, but by then the car was doomed :rolleyes: They didn't get far working the bugs out of the M2 but instead seem to have just abandoned the effort which has doomed it equally :mad: Maybe the Edsel would have sold better if they had put an M2 in every one.... Nah, I doubt it :ROFLMAO:

Phil

I always liked the Edsel, but that's just me in a nutshell.

On the other hand from the same period i would rather snag up a 500 Galaxie or Fairlane, and then have it spruced up a little by a good builder moistly just handling / braking updates.

@jokiin have you heard any more about a potential M2 successor since you saw an early prototype a while ago?

@jokiin have you heard any more about a potential M2 successor since you saw an early prototype a while ago?
No, was only aware of it as I know the hardware developer that was doing it and just happened to mention the original Mobius while discussing something else, that's when I was shown what they were working on, no idea what progress they've made since then

Hey, just finished reading this thread. Wanted to get two Mobius 1 with waterproof cases for motorcycle use. But really wanted that 60FPS. Though with the (Mobius2&) night video being as terrible as I've seen here, I am not sure what to do now. Though there's no case for the '2' I thought it'd be much easier to waterproof it with it's design and all! Doh! I guess It's back to being happy with 30 FPS and ordering the Mobius 1?

Back