Replace Battery with Super capacitor

lburgguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I own the g1w and it's hard wired (battery is totally removed from inside the gw1) to an "add a fuse" adapter so it's always powered. That is except for when I start my car it loses power for a split second and I lose all of my settings. There is a 1.5f 5.5v super capacitor that I can buy and it looks like a direct replacement for where my battery used to be. This will easily give me that. 5 seconds of power I need but do I need to do anything more than just solder the capacitor in? Will I over charge the capacitor if I just use it as a battery??

Yep- try that and you'll either get a nasty "bang" going off right in your face or the cam will "lose it's magic smoke" and die :eek: The charging circuity on the board is different for the cap-equipped models with the G1Wx so you can't just swap things around. Best to just replace the cam battery, they are available and fairly cheap ;) Or upgrade to a cap-equipped cam. Another approach would be to have a small AGM or SLA 12V battery 'floated' where you're picking up that power at. Needs to be a non-critical circuit such as the cigarette lighter as the added battery will back-feed the circuit with the car turned off- not good for a car's electronics :( You can sometimes get those batteries for free when they do maintenance on exit signs or computer UPS devices. Those will have wear but should be good enough for a year or two in this role.

Phil

Thanks Phil. Or I could run a circuit up to the battery itself. I think I'll just do that.

Back