Pseudo 2-channel by using a mirror on the dash

wryliewhiley

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Take into account that I'm an eccentric and a newbie to dash cams. I guess this has been done before but could not find by searching.

I am trying a scrap bit of mirror down on the dash where it meets the glass. With careful positioning my recordings are showing the mirror view out the back. I could have recorded those rednecks bearing down on the Griswalds during their Christmas Vacation well enough. What it sees is only between the seat backs though.

Any refinement suggestions or links to similar welcome.

I have thought of similar things. Maybe having 2 bits of mirror forming a V, placed in front of a camera so it records left and right views at the same time.
Or doing that just at the top of the view where you normally record useless sky. That way you'd have forward, left and right views with a single camera and no need for editing software.
It's on my to-do list, honestly.
One problem would be that normal mirrors would give slight double vision as you get reflections off the front of the glass as well as the silvered back. There are alternatives (e.g. front-silvered mirrors), I don't know if they'd be worth exploring.

Sounds good. Please follow up and post. I certainly will be but expect to be busy for the next 10 days. Surely someone else has already done similar..... I am NEVER the first.

When testing positions I am hoping that the AV-out on the side can be connected to a decent size screen that will show what the cam is seeing, but I don't have one. It is a pain peering recording then plugging to PC.

I am thinking maybe a mirror in the lower part of the footage will add more brightness to that part of the frame, and so might screw up metering ?
It might also blind the driver depending on sun angle.

And i am thinking how to secure a pice or two of mirror on the dash in a safe manner.

I am thinking maybe a mirror in the lower part of the footage will add more brightness to that part of the frame, and so might screw up metering ?
It might also blind the driver depending on sun angle.

And i am thinking how to secure a pice or two of mirror on the dash in a safe manner.
Thanks. I'm still thinking & will consider your concerns.

Back