G1WH stops recording while driving?

winter4w

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1WH
So today I almost had some dumb ass in a truck go in my lane when I was next to him and cut me off. So I got home, and plug my G1WH in to only find it stopped recording 5 minuets before the truck cut me off. I know the cigarette lighter did not lose power because my XM radio would shut off also if it did. Can someone explain what might of gone wrong?

Thanks

Try to playback that file on G1WX ?

Try to playback that file on G1WX ?
I tried to play it on the camera and was not there. The last clip on that day was around 10 seconds long. I also found a new issue, if I keep going forward I run into an issue where the screen goes static and I need to push the reset button. I have attached an image down below:

IMG_6883 - Copy.JPG

I had a G1Wc fail similarly- mine was a bad cam (hardware problem). The G1Wh is a bit different inside.

Have you tried the usual fixes? (reformat SD card, try another SD card, reset the cam, try another power supply or USB cable)

Phil

I had a G1Wc fail similarly- mine was a bad cam (hardware problem). The G1Wh is a bit different inside.

Have you tried the usual fixes? (reformat SD card, try another SD card, reset the cam, try another power supply or USB cable)

Phil
No I haven't. I may reformat the SD card and see if the issue reoccurs. I had this camera for a few years now.

I had something similar - My camera would record as normal, but only the first hour or so of files would play. Other files would be there but not play. At first I thought it was the camera consistently failing after a period of time. It turned out to be a fake SD card. Ebay is full of sellers selling fake cards. They take an 8GB card, rebrand it as 32GB and fix the internal file table to one of 32GB. The disc formats as a 32GB, and will record 32GB worth of files. However, only the first 8GB of files will play correctly, the remaining files show up in file manager, but cannot be played. I use a free utility called h2testw to check all new cards now. The utility will write a card full of data, then proceed to read it all back. If it errors on the readback, then it is s fake.
Many people buying off Ebay will stick a 32GB car in their smartphone and take pictures. For the first few months the card appears fine because you are still within the 8GB window. It is these people that leave positive feedback to these scumbag sellers. Their profit margin made on the ignorant buyers is such that they will refund you immediately upon receiving a claim that cites h2testw and not wanting the SD card returned.

I had something similar - My camera would record as normal, but only the first hour or so of files would play. Other files would be there but not play. At first I thought it was the camera consistently failing after a period of time. It turned out to be a fake SD card. Ebay is full of sellers selling fake cards. They take an 8GB card, rebrand it as 32GB and fix the internal file table to one of 32GB. The disc formats as a 32GB, and will record 32GB worth of files. However, only the first 8GB of files will play correctly, the remaining files show up in file manager, but cannot be played. I use a free utility called h2testw to check all new cards now. The utility will write a card full of data, then proceed to read it all back. If it errors on the readback, then it is s fake.
Many people buying off Ebay will stick a 32GB car in their smartphone and take pictures. For the first few months the card appears fine because you are still within the 8GB window. It is these people that leave positive feedback to these scumbag sellers. Their profit margin made on the ignorant buyers is such that they will refund you immediately upon receiving a claim that cites h2testw and not wanting the SD card returned.
I know my SD card is legit since I bought it locally and it does record the full 32GB. I am guessing what made stops is a fuse going out in my car or starting to go out. However, I would assume my XM radio would also stop since it is plugged in the same cigarette port.

The card could have bad sectors on it or have corrupt data behind the partition. Even the best cards wear out and can go bad for other reasons. Check it with h2testw even if you think it's good just to be positive about that. Otherwise you may wind up chasing your tail needlessly :( After this try a different power supply- most mini-USB phone chargers will deliver enough current for this. Also, how long does it run without power before shutting down? If it's only a few seconds when the settings say you should see more then the internal battery could be going bad.

I notice you say you've had the cam a few years. It's entirely possible it's simply on the way out- some component has gone out of spec now, a cold solder joint is finally letting go etc. Cams at this price point often give only a few years service before dying and even the best cams won't last forever. Just how it goes sometimes with anything electronic :rolleyes: I paid~$35 for my G1W-HC's and if they go 3 years I'll be happy; if they go 5 years I'll be amazed ;)

Phil

The card could have bad sectors on it or have corrupt data behind the partition. Even the best cards wear out and can go bad for other reasons. Check it with h2testw even if you think it's good just to be positive about that. Otherwise you may wind up chasing your tail needlessly :( After this try a different power supply- most mini-USB phone chargers will deliver enough current for this. Also, how long does it run without power before shutting down? If it's only a few seconds when the settings say you should see more then the internal battery could be going bad.

I notice you say you've had the cam a few years. It's entirely possible it's simply on the way out- some component has gone out of spec now, a cold solder joint is finally letting go etc. Cams at this price point often give only a few years service before dying and even the best cams won't last forever. Just how it goes sometimes with anything electronic :rolleyes: I paid~$35 for my G1W-HC's and if they go 3 years I'll be happy; if they go 5 years I'll be amazed ;)

Phil
Yea I have had it for almost two years now. The battery already went last summer, and I got it replaced. I have not encountered this issue again yet, just that one time. However, for next summer I am thinking of getting a new cam. I am looking at the black view two channel camera due to the parking mode features. I am wondering how good is that camera and what is the life expectancy? I don't want to put over $150 on a camera that will last a year or two.

I have no experience with or much knowledge of BlackVue products. As best I recall they're generally rated better than the G1Wx cams. Dig around on the BlackVue forum here and see what others have experienced. Some general advice regards 2ch cams:

For parking modes you need a cam that pre-buffers so that you capture the whole event, and you may need some extra goodies like a battery discharge protector (BDP) or a powerbank to run the cams while parked. Also take a really good look at vids taken with any 2ch cam you're considering as most have a low-res rear cam (720P or less) and they tend to have low bit-rates on both cams which can reduce video quality below expectations especially in low-light. Some also require special apps for viewing and editing vids. Also look for large card support; even with the low individual bitrates you're filling more space faster than most single cams do.

Personally I'm watching the about-to-be-released StreetGuardian 2ch cam as so far I haven't been impressed with the others which are either over my budget, lacking in ability, or lacking build quality. SG has a well-deserved great reputation so I expect their new cam will be a winner.

Phil

I have no experience with or much knowledge of BlackVue products. As best I recall they're generally rated better than the G1Wx cams. Dig around on the BlackVue forum here and see what others have experienced. Some general advice regards 2ch cams:

For parking modes you need a cam that pre-buffers so that you capture the whole event, and you may need some extra goodies like a battery discharge protector (BDP) or a powerbank to run the cams while parked. Also take a really good look at vids taken with any 2ch cam you're considering as most have a low-res rear cam (720P or less) and they tend to have low bit-rates on both cams which can reduce video quality below expectations especially in low-light. Some also require special apps for viewing and editing vids. Also look for large card support; even with the low individual bitrates you're filling more space faster than most single cams do.

Personally I'm watching the about-to-be-released StreetGuardian 2ch cam as so far I haven't been impressed with the others which are either over my budget, lacking in ability, or lacking build quality. SG has a well-deserved great reputation so I expect their new cam will be a winner.

Phil
Looking into 2 ch cams I see the Thinkware F770 is probably the best 2 ch quality out there. I'll wait until my cam starts to act up again before I get another one. I also have heard a lot of good thigs about StreetGuardian. Do you know when that camera is coming out?

Back