Cam for Discovery Sport.

ccomley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the front page of the dashcamtalk site, I'm reasonably attracted to the VIOFO A119. I really wanted a camera with separate screen but no-one seems to make those any more. Any other suggestions? Also, pictures all show it installed left of the mirror but I have my french motorway tag already using that spot - any strong reason (e.g. legal!) not to have it to the right of the mirror? (UK so right hand driving seat!)

Also not so common are rear-facing cams. Is the best way to get front-and-back protection these days to just install two units?

Anyone know of anyone offering an installation service in the UK?

Cheers

You can mount a dashcam off center pretty easy, will only have little effect on the total picture it capture.
But if you plan on saving trip videos then it would be annoying to watch a lot of video captured off angle, but for general use in case of a crash and so on it should matter little with the wide angle lenses on dashcams.

It is off course best to have the camera within range of the wipers.

The current dual channel cameras suffer from some limitations on hardware, and thats most often the limit on bitrate that come up here.
But new hardware is on the way that will make it possible to use higher bitrates on both cameras, these will come out some time during the first 6 months of 2017.
To combat limitations of dual channel cameras the use of 2 single channel cameras is now used by some of us in here, that in turn add its own issues where the one that bother me the most is you have to go to each individual camera to retrieve the memory cards.

Welcome to forum !

I really wanted a camera with separate screen but no-one seems to make those any more. Any other suggestions?

Below is the combination of SGZC12RC + SGRCWPC.
Check this out and see if it fits your needs and budget ?

SGZC12RC + SGRCWPC (2).jpg

SGZC12RC + SGRCWPC (3).jpg

SGZC12RC + SGRCWPC (4).jpg

SGZC12RC + SGRCWPC (5).jpg

SGZC12RC + SGRCWPC (1).jpg

SG are usually great cams but this particular model needs a close look before purchase. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sgzc12rc-wiping-card.18798/ I expect they'll get it worked out well in the end. The Viofo A119 series of cams are a good choice and offer a lot of value for the price; they're probably the best low-to-mid range price dashcams right now.

Some cams have video out which can feed a separate LCD display but I haven't noted which ones in particular. Any decent car stereo shop should be able to do a good install for you. Be sure the lens is in the wiper coverage area and check the MOT rules on location- you're rather restricted on that in the UK.

Phil

Thanks for the input guys.

Street Guardian was what I was looking at before but when I was hot to trot it was unavailable, and then I didn't get around to doing anything. Is the SGRCWPC a second camera or an alternative camera? Looks promising if a tad spendy, but, I guess, if you do it right you only do it once !

Last edited:
I quite like the look of the SGZC12RC. At the moment the Discovery Sport has a K1S in it, but this has proven to be a little unreliable.

I've not got around to installing it fully (probably concealed in the glove box), but interestingly the size of it is perfect to fit in the shelf on the passenger side which is where it's jammed in place for now.

As you can see from the attached it's a little off-centre, and the heated windscreen does add a bit of a moiré effect to the image, however it's perfectly adequate for most dashcam purposes, if not the best way to record a journey for some other reason.

Attachments

• dashcam.jpg
    dashcam.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 7
Back