Need Advice On What's Happening To My SGZC12RC

W S Ang

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Just last week, I discovered some issues with my SCZC12RC after using it for about 3 months. The cam was bought through Amazon, supplied by Pier28, Inc. My setup as follows:

1. Purely Parking Mode recording
2. Average time of recording about 12 hours daily, from 9pm to 9am.
3. Powered by Zendure A8 QC 26,800mAh Power Bank.
4. Setup: loop recording 1 minute with medium resolution, G sensor off, LCD screen saver 1 minute, 32 GB SD card with FAT32 format.

Issues encountered:

1. Power bank draw down was only 2-3% at times. Normal draw down was 40% average due consistent traffic and human flow past the front of the car.
2. Once, there was a white screen stuck on the LCD.
3. At times, after the 1 minute, the screen saver goes into saver mode as programmed, but after a few minutes, the screen came back on without any reason.
4. At times, the power bank's percentage indication of left over power level will disappear, meaning there is a auto shutdown of the cam.
5. I have 2 of the Zendure power bank for cyclic use. Both checked to be of good condition by powering other devices as I thought they might be the ones causing the issues of the cam operation.
6. Swap with 3 different 32GB SD cards and will encounter at least one of the issues above.

I did many times total reset and formatting, but till now, the issues still surfacing and each time I discovered, is either one of the above. Its not a consistent issue with all possible combinations of the power bank and the SD cards. Only thing I have not done is re flashing the firmware, which I am hesitant to do.

Appreciate any input.

Are you using the 5V or 12v output from that power bank? I read it has both.

RC should be powered via 12V. If you use 5V microUSB (factory service port) super caps won't charge as well.
EDIT: as in they won't charge at all

Thanks guys for the quick reply. So in other words, I need to power up with 12V? I have been using for the past 3 months with 5V USB. I am surprised it lasted that long.

It's the supercap not being charged, thus causing the issues I encountered. Will occasional charging by 12V while driving the car and during parking mode, power via the power bank 5V be good enough? The reason I am reluctant to tap from the car battery is the fear of draining out the car battery. I have heard issues even using the Celink power pack.

We have some users that run the camera off 12v and just switch to USB when they park, it was never designed for use this way but there are some that do it

Thanks Jokiin. I will plug in on 12V while driving and revert to 5V USB while on parking mode. Just another question: is it safe for the cam to have both 12V and USB via power bank both plug in at the same time? The worst case scenario I can only think of is at the point when the car is started, and without pulling out the 5V USB connection, there will be 2 power input source. Will there be a electrical short on the cam? Or it's safe to leave both connection (12V & 5V USB) permanently connected?

Last edited:
As I said it's not an officially supported function, one user here has been doing it for quite a long time without issue, I'm not sure but @niko may have a video showing this function in action, you do need to plug the USB in to power before it shuts down, I don't think you want to have both powered all the time though

Thanks for the advice. Will power up via power bank's 12V port and observe if the issues I described re-surface.

5V powerbanks for motion detection is used by many people, but its non-official work around which works in case to case basis. Best of course is to hardwire to 12V car battery and use battery discharge protection device, or to external power bank with 12V output, however they are quite expencive.
To supply power to unit at the same time from car battery 12v and via microusb 5v is not good idea. It may work and may not depending on powerbank protection chipset.

Below are my tests with Anker E4 1st gen power bank.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...rnal-battery-pack-and-12v-power-supply.19350/

... is it safe for the cam to have both 12V and USB via power bank both plug in at the same time? The worst case scenario I can only think of is at the point when the car is started, and without pulling out the 5V USB connection, there will be 2 power input source. Will there be a electrical short on the cam? Or it's safe to leave both conservation (12V & 5V USB) permanently connected?

I've used my SGZC12RC, while simultaneously plugged into the car's 12V accessory socket & a 5V power bank, since June 2015. No problems. When the car is started the power bank automatically turns itself off, so no need to unplug it. I use Anker power banks, not sure that your Zendure device will operate in the same way

5V powerbanks for motion detection is used by many people, but its non-official work around which works in case to case basis. Best of course is to hardwire to 12V car battery and use battery discharge protection device, or to external power bank with 12V output, however they are quite expencive.
To supply power to unit at the same time from car battery 12v and via microusb 5v is not good idea. It may work and may not depending on powerbank protection chipset.

Below are my tests with Anker E4 1st gen power bank.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...rnal-battery-pack-and-12v-power-supply.19350/

Yes, @niko, it's after seeing your review, i decided to buy this unit to be use with power bank. Let's hope the unit operate properly tonight. I have just given the unit a good 12V charge while driving.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y SGZC12RC 8
A SGZC12RC 14
Back