The Ideal Dashcam Battery Solution?

David Watt

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So now that I own an expensive car, I've fitted an SGs9665GC V2. And will be adding a Mobius or something similar into the rear.

I now want to setup the cameras to work when parked. I've been reading about the various options. I don't want to tap off my car battery at all, so those battery discharge prevention devices are out.

An external battery pack would be ideal. but I know that you can't use them to power devices and be charged at the same time. But SURELY there are devices that can simply detect when ignition is on, and then switch to the cars 12V for dashcam power. Then detect when the ignition goes off, and switch to battery power.

It sounds like such a simple concept. A monitor line is nothing new at all.

From what I can find, the BlackVue B-112 does exactly this: https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-battery-pack/#1459846779052-0ad7b49f-b495

Am I reading it correctly? It'll charge while driving, and pass the car's 12V through to power the dashcam. Then when the ignition is turned off, it'll switch to powering the dashcam with the batteries?

The only thing is the cost. It's not cheap. But it's the ideal solution. Are there any other similar products that will function this way? Requiring now switching or unplugging by the user?`

And with this product, and any in general, what sort of temperatures can they be exposed to? Where I live in Australia, in summer it can get to over 40C / 100F on the hottest days. of course I wouldn't have them in direct sunlight, but it'll still be hot inside the car.

Cellink B is a more popular choice, they're expensive though

Hmmm...it does look like another really good option. It's a little more temperature tolerant too. But yea, it's even more expensive. And only has 1 output. Though I guess this can be easily overcome with some kind of double adapter.

I reckon I might have to splash the cash on one of these sort of devices.

P.S. I'm "Scotsman" from the Whirlpool forums :p)...you really do get around eh! Great support for your products!

P.S. I'm "Scotsman" from the Whirlpool forums :p)...you really do get around eh! Great support for your products!

actually I came here from there, a few years ago people on Whirlpool were quoting info about cameras that was incorrect and this is where they were finding the info

Using either the cellink B or the b112, do they have a switch so you can turn them on for daytime parking and off for night time parking? I only need to record when parked during the day.

Hmmm...it does look like another really good option. It's a little more temperature tolerant too. But yea, it's even more expensive. And only has 1 output. Though I guess this can be easily overcome with some kind of double adapter.

I reckon I might have to splash the cash on one of these sort of devices.

Using either the cellink B or the b112, do they have a switch so you can turn them on for daytime parking and off for night time parking? I only need to record when parked during the day.

The Cellink B is roughly 10% more expensive, but supplies 6,000 mAH capacity @ 12.8 V as opposed to the Blackvue B-112 which supplies only 3,000 mAH @ 12.8 V.

The Cellink B is also expandable to 12,000 mAH by adding a second battery pack!

Furthermore, the Cellink B V2 has an On/Off switch for times when you don't want to record while parking.

Last edited:
Is a 50,000 mAH @ 5V Power Bank actually the same as using a Cellink B with 6,000 mAH @ 12.8V???

Thus, rather than using a Cellink B battery pack, we could use two 5V battery banks, and swap them out, to recharge at home?
When I think about it, a 5V battery bank can also be recharged via the 12V socket inside the motor vehicle?

The main difference is that the Cellink B uses LiFePO4 Lion chemistry which is more heat resistant inside a motor car?
The Cellink B also has a 12V socket, whereas the 5V Power Bank has an USB 5V output.

Joltz-J4000-Power-Bank-Bottom-1000x1000.jpg

Back