Dashcam hardwired

know610

Reaction score
Country
United States
2hx14oy.jpg

I have 2017 MDX base model.
I would like to hardwired by using "Dual USB Car DC 12V-5V Inverter Female Hard Wired Charger for GPS Tablet Phone" and "Add-A-Fuse". I would like to connect iPhone charger and A119 dashcam to female USB.
1) Will it be okay to connect to two devices same time or it will overload?
2) Can I tap to fuse ACC 7.5A by using a "Add-a-fuse"? I hope the ACC fuse does not power on when car engine is off.

12V to 5V Dual USB Power Adapter Converter Cable Connector Car Charger For Phone
Item specifics:
Input Voltage: 12V
Output Voltage:5V3A Max
Dual USB output.
Rated power: 15W

100% Brand new and high quality.
Light compact, convenient to use and transport
Low power consumption, high conversion rate
Short circuit / overheat protection.
Multifunctional product, perfect for travel use.
Glue craft: Adapt to harsh environments,Waterproof, Moistureproof, Earthquake Proof.
It can be used for LED car display, GPS, MP3, MP4 car DVD, hard disk player and the stereo.
This module is posted by epoxy so it's waterproof, shockproof, moistureproof, anti-dust and flame retardant
The module boasts of automatic protection function when over voltage, over current, over temperature and short
circuit braking and restore normal work after the conditions

Note: The red wire connects to the positive, the black wire connects to the negative

Fuse box
2gue5hl.jpg

Thanks

Usually acc is not live with key off. But whether or not an existing 7.5a fussed circuit can handle an extra 1-2 amps depends on what else is actually on that circuit.

Personally I tap into the power window or sunroof circuits to run my dashcams. They're very robust circuits that can easily supply enough power for multiple cams, and are almost always turned off when the key is off. The advantage of using the sunroof circuits is that it's already in the overhead console so you don't have to run wires down the A pillar and possibly interfere with side curtain airbags. No, it's not as easy as an add a fuse, but it's much simpler IMHO.

Thanks @Gibson99

What do you mean by ACC is not live when key is off? sorry i'm new to all these wiring. Does "not live" mean if the engine off, charger and dashcam off too (nothing will be charged or turn-on)?

I don't want to split or tap into wire. I do not want to do it wrong lolz. I just want to tap to the fuse itself which required no modification to factory wires. I saw a few empty slot in fuse box, can I use that? Let say that empty slot show 12v when engine on and zero when engine off. Can I use it and use a 10A or 7.5A?

This will only be on iphone charging and one A119 dashcam using a Dual USB Car DC 12V-5V Inverter Female Hard Wired. Nothing else

Also, what does "AS Door Lock" mean. In the fuse box label as fuse #1 "AS Door Lock" 10A
I think RR Door Lock must mean "rear right"

Last edited:
a "live" circuit is one that has power flowing through it. common electrical terminology.

so you want to connect to a circuit that's only live while the key is ON. if you use one that's live all the time, you'll kill the car battery by having the camera running 24/7.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with tapping into a circuit with splices - it's how we install accessories (DVD players, stereos, alarms, etc) at the dealership or at any aftermarket shop like CarToys/Mobile One/etc. I say "we" because that was how i made my living for almost 10 years, and it's how i continue to install stuff in all our current vehicles as well as those of friends and family. If you're anywhere near Cypress (NW Houston) TX, I'd be willing to help you install your cam if you need help.

By viewing this youtube,
I think it's ok to use either 7.5A or 10A "switch-in" from fusebox and put 5A on add-a-fuse along w/7.5A factory fuse. Based on his testing, it less than 4A usage.

I know I will not use the front cigarettes lighter socket because i hate lid opened. That fuse is locate passenger side. The fuse is 20A. Can I use that fuse since with Dual USB is already a step down inverter and "Add-a-fuse"? The "CTR ACC Socket" is a switch. It will not charge if engine is off. Only work when car is on.

example:
1z4bvix.jpg

Unfortunately. i cannot use lighter socket fuse because it has power all the time. I decide to use DRL 7.5A since it only give power when engine on and when engine off, dashcam and iphone do not charge.

If I tap to "lighter socket fuse", will my car battery drain because of dashcam has power all the time (A119) (abt 12hrs: park car at 7am and get back to car 6pm weekday only) or should i power off (unplug) the dashcam when i'm home to save car battery?

I have question on lighter socket fuse. If I plug cable to the actual light socket and engine off, the phone will not charge. And why when I tap to the fuse itself, the phone has power when engine if off?

Also, I can't even use other fuse like door lock or unlock, Side Door Unlock etc. it has no power at all even if engine on. The only it has power is if I press unlock or lock then it has power for that second.

Unfortunately. i cannot use lighter socket fuse because it has power all the time.

You know this for a fact? My car's lighter socket is powered from when the car is unlocked until 5 minutes after it's locked again. Gives the impression that it has power all the time, but doesn't.

When I use multimeter to test the fuse while factory fuse is inside the fuse box, engine off and driver door open. Multimeter show a 12v.
Or maybe you misunderstand me. Let me re-quote: The socket lighter in the car work when engine on and not work when engine off. However, if I tap to the fuse box of that socket lighter, their is power either engine off or on.

Or maybe I need to wait 5 minutes inside the car to see if it actually off when engine off?? Will try tonight. Please see post #1 for item I used.

Back