Action cam guides for newbies?

Here's an article by Sony that seems to explain CCD and CMOS sensors very well. Even though it's eight years old, I think it's still germane.

Here is a chart from Wikipedia that shows the entire alphabet soup of resolutions, their sizes and aspect ratios.

1280px-Vector_Video_Standards8.svg.png

However, I haven't been able to find a formal industry definition of 2.7K resolution. By "formal industry definition" I mean a consortium of manufacturers, an engineering or technical society, a standards body, etc. I'm just curious because some cameras claim 2.7 K resolution, and the horizontal pixel count is about right, but it's not consistent from camera to camera. For that matter neither is 2.5K.

My monitor is QXGA it seem, with drivers that work it could do 85Hz at that resolution, but i had no drivers since i left windows XP a long time ago.

I was gaming in SXGA back then at 200 FPS in game and same Hz on my monitor.

I'm helping Pavle write an action camera basics guide. It's not intended to be a technical document, otherwise I wouldn't be helping!

I'm now writing about internal components. There's lots of information on DCT and many other websites about image sensors and image processors but I can't find much layman's information about multi-layer fixed-focus lenses. Can anyone provide links to such information?

Another component is the WiFi transceiver. I presume the quality of a transceiver (acronym?) can vary just like any other electronic component. In one action cam teardown I saw a Qualcomm transceiver. However, time and again I've seen how a firmware update can improve WiFi performance. Presumably WiFi operation follows international technical standards and protocols so why would software (firmware) make a difference and why would it work okay for an Android device but not an iOS device?

Should I be making a distinction between the WiFi connection and the operation of the app? In other words, I've found that with some cameras it's very difficult, at times impossible, to establish or maintain the WiFi connection. After the connection is established, the app can be very slick or rather clunky to use. Sometimes it stays connected and sometimes not, even within close proximity. Is the difficulty establishing and maintaining the connection a hardware problem, a firmware problem or both?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

It seem wifi is often ruined by poor implementation and apps thats not always working.

Must be quite frustrating to work with.
As you might know i have been on board with the Joovuu x from day one, and we have seen a lot of going back and forth with that camera and its app.
So with one FW and APP version most things work good, then there is a now FW and suddenly som things that worked before dont work now, or work but not as good.
And this both go for functions in the camera/app, but even connecting wifi i found to be very flaky at times, and we had to go thru several firmwares and Apps before i was able to connect to the camera at will and not just by chance after trying xx times.

But for the most with the x cam apps i have found them to remain connected pretty good for hours on end, but i have also at times experienced the preview footage pixilate like something is running out of RAM or something.
The current x cam APP and FW seem to play ball well here, only major problem i have with it is that the preview in landscape make the app crash with the current app.

But no doubt i totally get the people / brands that want to stay away from WIFI in cameras, it do appear to add another layer of things to go wrong.

I view the wifi sort of the same as with the sensors them self, there is standards to how both work, so you would assume that if a SOC can understand 1 standard for sensors then all sensors that understand that standard should work, but thats just not the case it seem.
And i think it is sort of the same for wifi, you would assume there is regular protocols in play, and via those you ask the camera to do so and so on whatever language they speak.

But again it turn into a circus to me, its like one English speaking person want to tell another non english speaking person something, so the English guy yell out what he want to convey, and thats picked up by a multilingual Spanish guy that hear and understand the english so he translate that on the fly to german and yell it on to the next guy in Germany, and the German guy then call his friend in Denmark and tell him in Danish what the English guy yelled for the Dane to know.

And god only know how many translation errors have occurred under way.

Regarding lenses you would assume a company like Carl Zeiss would have information on such things, even stuff they would share for free with people.

It seem wifi is often ruined by poor implementation and apps thats not always working.

Must be quite frustrating to work with.
As you might know i have been on board with the Joovuu x from day one, and we have seen a lot of going back and forth with that camera and its app.
So with one FW and APP version most things work good, then there is a now FW and suddenly som things that worked before dont work now, or work but not as good.
And this both go for functions in the camera/app, but even connecting wifi i found to be very flaky at times, and we had to go thru several firmwares and Apps before i was able to connect to the camera at will and not just by chance after trying xx times.

But for the most with the x cam apps i have found them to remain connected pretty good for hours on end, but i have also at times experienced the preview footage pixilate like something is running out of RAM or something.
The current x cam APP and FW seem to play ball well here, only major problem i have with it is that the preview in landscape make the app crash with the current app.

But no doubt i totally get the people / brands that want to stay away from WIFI in cameras, it do appear to add another layer of things to go wrong.

I view the wifi sort of the same as with the sensors them self, there is standards to how both work, so you would assume that if a SOC can understand 1 standard for sensors then all sensors that understand that standard should work, but thats just not the case it seem.
And i think it is sort of the same for wifi, you would assume there is regular protocols in play, and via those you ask the camera to do so and so on whatever language they speak.

But again it turn into a circus to me, its like one English speaking person want to tell another non english speaking person something, so the English guy yell out what he want to convey, and thats picked up by a multilingual Spanish guy that hear and understand the english so he translate that on the fly to german and yell it on to the next guy in Germany, and the German guy then call his friend in Denmark and tell him in Danish what the English guy yelled for the Dane to know.

And god only know how many translation errors have occurred under way.

Regarding lenses you would assume a company like Carl Zeiss would have information on such things, even stuff they would share for free with people.

Thanks kamkar1. I really don't understand the vagaries of WiFi. It truly does seem like your language example - LOL!

I never thought about checking Zeiss, etc. I've done a search for action camera lenses but came up empty, and photography websites deal with fancy lenses, but I haven't checked optics manufacturers for general info.

Thanks again kamkar1. :)

Back