All Lenovo dashcams are "fake" ?

carl0s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I'm pretty sure Lenovo do not manufacture dashcams at all. I checked through their Chinese site before posting by the way :)

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with those that are sold with the Lenovo logo on them. It just means don't expect 'big name' quality / lack of bugs or whatever.

I saw a picture of a Lenovo v31 and I thought it looked interesting, which started my search. I have a Dexors X5 and other than it complaining about SD card not being inserted, and the battery/capacitor doing weird flashy things with the screen when the car's power is off, i.e. if the screen is on during shutdown, it seems to work very well. I have it on a permanent live now in the car, recording 24x7.

It might just be Lenovo putting their name on something, like other brands do too.

But it might also just be some one using Lenovos name, you never know.

Hi. It will be the latter, I'm pretty sure. If Lenovo put their name on it, you'd find some information about it from Lenovo themselves, somewhere.

Generally what happens is companies can license their brand to 3rd party manufacturers. The 3rd party manufacturer gets the benefit of using an established brand, while the company gets the benefit of essentially free income without having to R&D or market a product. Some brands are more selective of who they will license to, others let just anyone who will pay use their brand.

This is why almost all recent Kodak digital cameras are terrible. The company is bankrupt but sellers buy into their name and brand recognition. RCA TVs can be made by just about anyone which is why some are OK but most are terrible. Etc.

I'm pretty sure this is why we have Lenovo cameras.

Hi. I know how that works, but I am a bit surprised at your naivety if you think this is the case here with the Lenovo dash cams.

A perfect example of what you are talking about would be the Polaroid company. Once famous for instant-photo analog cameras, but now almost dead and without a market, sells it's name or licenses its name to be put on very cheap (OEM/ODM) televisions, as well as digital cameras no doubt.

The difference is that you will find the Polaroid TV has some documentation and reference from the manufacturer, and is sold through proper distribution channels, while the Lenovo dashcam is sold through Aliexpress, Amazon marketplace, and eBay, and you will find no mention of the product's existence from Lenovo themselves. Also, Lenovo do not need to do this - they are not a dead brand.

Sure they are not a dead brand, but i think it might be fair to reason they are a dying brand, at least if they keep letting people abuse their name on "poo".

While lenovo might not actually be behind this, there we see other brands that more or less do the same, and fully acknowledging this on their official web pages.

And that do make some people thing WTF are they doing, soiling ther good brand name by putting it on "poo" like this.

Last edited:
You are miles out.

Lenovo are huge. They're not a dying brand and from your comments it's clear that you don't work in the IT industry itself.

They own Motorola's mobile division. They bought IBM's Think PC division (Thinkpad, Thinkcentre), and then later they bought IBM's full x86 server line.

They are a huge presence in the IT industry and there's a constant push in the channel (via the distributors e.g. Ingram) on their stuff and partnering promotions etc.

Lenovo, HP, Dell. The big three in the PC industry, that order. Yes they have a greater market share than HP.

When I supply computers to my clients, I am routinely buying either Lenovo, HP, and the occasional Dell, depending on who has the best deal that day.

I write this from my 'X1 Carbon Touch 3rd edition' btw.. this isn't the product of a dying company/brand!

I've got an old HP Dashcam I can sell you that works OK, but was not made by HP, if you are that hung up on big brand names.

:)

Yes perhaps that was strong words by me, i come from a world where no one buy a brand computer, they all or i build a computer for them using brand name hardware.

I build a gaming computer for my nephew, he then shortly after sold it as he figured he ws better off with a gaming laptop ( MSI i think )
But as it turned out that was not it for him anyway and i again had to build him a gaming computer, and that lasted for some years but my nephew is now a console gamer.
But in favor of my nephew he is not a fruit company whore, like his 2 younger sisters sadly are.

To me it seem that when lenovo picked up IBM they had been fading for a while, and to be honest i dont see any indications they ( IBM/Lenovo ) have bounced back.

Lenovo also do sort of alright with the Motorolas they also picked up, but again Motorola is far from what they have been, and i have not seen any indicators that have changed after lenovo picked them up.

I am also sure lenovo will be here in 10 years time, but i dont think they will have transformed to anything special by then, and the 10% growth that is expected in most sectors,,,, welll i am not so sure.
Also facoring in Lenovo is based in a weird environment within the Chinese economy / nation.

If the Chinese nation / culture fold up like we saw the eastern EU do in the 90ties, then i am sure lenovo will drop like a stone.

PS. Maybe lenovo will pick up Black Berry soon, they seem just about ripe for a takeover. ( after also having been a major brand for some years )

Re-branding isn't always bad. It's been said that Garmin (who do not build cams themselves) are re-branded (apparently from "MiVue") and some of those are pretty darn good cams :)

The thing here is to never buy on brand alone, but ensure that the product itself is what you want no matter whose name is on it ;) Many old and well respected 'names' are now just a shell of what they once were but a few still have meaning and value. It is just the way the world is these days and the unsuspecting will get slammed sooner or later or having an outdated approach :oops:

Phil

That thing looks like some kind of Transformer. Maybe it transforms in to something better looking! :D

Most likely a licensing agreement.

usually restricted to sales for a specific region only like China so that it doesn't effect their other business, but then you get online sellers that see a brand name that will be recognised in other markets and they buy locally and resell and they end up in those other markets

Back