VIOFO A119 (production) feature requests and bug reports

I can hardly see the red light of the REC button on a bright day. I think a dob of white paint on the upper surface of it would fix by reflecting more of its light down on the button. I am not brave enough to get at the led to do it myself but would be easy at assembly time. Is it feasible Viofo?

Similarly the interior light of my car had BLACK surface above the bulb DOH so I painted it with white correction fluid to turn it into a reflector & it improved the brightness well.

(finally found this useful thread, don't want to double post so linked)

confirmed GPS bug: just purchased the A119 Jan.28 2017 from latest shipment in Canada it has Firmware: A119_161216_V2.01
- probably a Beta FW no download site found so won't flash over just yet, but would like to see if V1.1 doesn't have these issues.
- still has the 1440P no-GPS bug, must change resolution to 1080P/30 then toggle GPS on/off to lock GPS, must repeat if unpowered for more than ~6 hours, same issue when powered from GPS module or cam.
- mono audio seems to be extremely low even from 6inches, but the internal beep sound is recorded nice and loud. Guessing from details below its low due to channel position being saved as Front: Center (only have 2 speaker stereo to preview)
originally posted here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...560p-30fps-and-1080p-60fps.25969/#post-314695

A119 firmware v2.xx temporary GPS bug fix here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...560p-30fps-and-1080p-60fps.25969/#post-314713

@viofo is it possible to increase mic sensitivity (recorded audio volume?)

not sure anyone replied to you on this issue back in 2016 but it seems either my A119 has mic issues and very low audio or the newest factory installed firmware A119_161216_V2.01 lowered the recording level. Will wait for VIOFO to look into this issue. I didn't know audio recording levels vary greatly after some firmware updates.

Since FW2.0 i noticed even if you disable the beep Sound completely when the g-sensor or emergency Button is pressed there are three beeps.
Also before FW2 you could select 1080p and 30fps and there were the last 15 seconds before and after saved when you pressed the button.

A 21:9 option would be nice. Either native resolution or even letterbox format?

Like my A119!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is.

Ive been experiencing a pulsing noise in audio, which only appears when the gps unit is connected. This is testing via hardwired or via my battery power pack. Unfortunately I cant seem to turn off the gps unit, as its still operational even when turned off in the menu.. As I found out when I pulled the files into dashcam viewer - the gps co-ords were plotted even though i had gps off :(

I'm running the latest beta..

I have the same problem on a brand new a119. Is there a fix or do i have a defective gps/ camera unit that needs to be replaced?

Last edited:
Yep, I have the same audio issues with a brand new A119 w/GPS. I turned the audio off for now. Does anyone know if there is something that can be done to make the audio better? (mine sounds like a hum on the audio recording). Any ideas?

Yep, I have the same audio issues with a brand new A119 w/GPS. I turned the audio off for now. Does anyone know if there is something that can be done to make the audio better? (mine sounds like a hum on the audio recording). Any ideas?
Try plugging directly into camera. Are you using the supplied adapter and USB cable?

Yes, I am using the supplied power cable, directly to my usb port (switched) in the center console of a 2014 Ford Escape SE. So, you think if i plug the power cable into the camera INSTEAD of the GPS, it will make the audio issue go away?

Actually, I would not plug into your cars USB port. Use the supplied cigarette adapter. Car USB port might not supply enough power.

Also, I am having memory error using a Lexar 633x 128Gb card ... only resolution I have tried so far is the 1080p/60fps. I just upgraded the unit to the newest firmware - v 2.0.2 today and will try 1440p/30fps to see if memory issues go away.
Any ideas if I am heading in the right direction, or do I need a different memory card ? (maybe a 64Gb instead?)

Well there IS a cigarette lighter/power port there to use for the USB adapter, but it seemed wonky - and it's hot all the time too, so I'd have to remember to turn on/off all the time. Didn't realize that the USB ports might not have enough juice to run the dashcam. How could I test that ?

Well there IS a cigarette lighter/power port there to use for the USB adapter, but it seemed wonky - and it's hot all the time too, so I'd have to remember to turn on/off all the time. Didn't realize that the USB ports might not have enough juice to run the dashcam. How could I test that ?

if you're using a USB port in the vehicle most often these are not suitable to run the camera, use the included adapter instead

OK ... will try that (or get it hardwired) - thanks! :)

Ideally you'd want to avoid using the in-built USB port. If you want to check the draw, use a charger doctor.

As the power socket is always hot, you could hardwire an additional female power socket from the internal fusebox and use that instead.

Edit:

Also power sockets that remain hot after the car is turned off usually go off after a certain time that's set by the manufacturer. Not too bad if it's just a few minutes.

I have the same problem on a brand new a119. Is there a fix or do i have a defective gps/ camera unit that needs to be replaced?

I have the same issue, accidentally I found out, that this pulsing sound dissapears, if you press any button while recording. But the next time camera powers down and then back up, puslisng sound is again there - until you again press any button.

Does the Manufacturer (Viofo) know about this 'undocumented feature'? Seems like it might need a firmware fix?

Can we please have Improved Parking Mode function in next Firmware Release? If there is 5 minute inactivity with G-sensor then motion detection recording will be enabled ?

@viofo - New feature request: ability to DISABLE the MIC button.

I pressed the triangle/lock button earlier this week to save a clip, and while reviewing footage today, i found that apparently i also clicked the MIC button so every single file since that event has no audio. I didn't know it had happened because my camera is mounted behind my mirror, and i can't see the screen unless i either move the mirror or lean way over with my face close to the dashboard.

I would like an option to record sound ALWAYS, no matter how many times someone presses the MIC button. or make it so that you have to HOLD the MIC button to toggle it... and then have some sort of audio confirmation that it's muted/unmuted - something different than the beeps it makes when you press triangle. that way people like me who can't see the screen will still know something other than locking a file just happened.

maybe the next camera will have fewer buttons. i see no need for MIC or REC buttons on a dashcam, and several others i've used don't have them. if you want to stop recording, unplug it. otherwise it should be recording all the time since that's its sole purpose! if you want to record audio (or not) set it once in the menu and forget about it. do people really toggle the mic while driving/recording? then you can put the emergency/lock button by itself, so it's not possible (or at least highly unlikely) to accidentally press another button while driving. if you need to get into the menu, that's fine - make the user hold down the menu button for 2 seconds and then show the menu. that way you can't do it by accident.

Thanks!

@viofo - New feature request: ability to DISABLE the MIC button.

I pressed the triangle/lock button earlier this week to save a clip, and while reviewing footage today, i found that apparently i also clicked the MIC button so every single file since that event has no audio. I didn't know it had happened because my camera is mounted behind my mirror, and i can't see the screen unless i either move the mirror or lean way over with my face close to the dashboard.

I would like an option to record sound ALWAYS, no matter how many times someone presses the MIC button. or make it so that you have to HOLD the MIC button to toggle it... and then have some sort of audio confirmation that it's muted/unmuted - something different than the beeps it makes when you press triangle. that way people like me who can't see the screen will still know something other than locking a file just happened.

maybe the next camera will have fewer buttons. i see no need for MIC or REC buttons on a dashcam, and several others i've used don't have them. if you want to stop recording, unplug it. otherwise it should be recording all the time since that's its sole purpose! if you want to record audio (or not) set it once in the menu and forget about it. do people really toggle the mic while driving/recording? then you can put the emergency/lock button by itself, so it's not possible (or at least highly unlikely) to accidentally press another button while driving. if you need to get into the menu, that's fine - make the user hold down the menu button for 2 seconds and then show the menu. that way you can't do it by accident.

Thanks!
Well for me the mic button is great off/on. When I am alone I like the mic button to be set on, but if I have someone in the car with me and we are both talking I do not want my conversation to be recorded on that file that I want to use as evidence. That's my opinion

Back