What I Want in a Dashcam

mrted

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been looking at dashcams for a few months now and unfortunately I have not found anything that comes close to what I am looking for. It seems some units have some functionality I want but not others. I'm aware there are manufacturers on this forum, so this is my wish list of what I want in a unit.

- Open Linux Operating System (easily modable)

This allows for community members to write their own updates and to add software features that don't have mainstream support. It would also turn the device into a real computer that could theoretically do anything any other computer could do. For example, when I get home the DVR could connect to my home WiFi and download a weather report which I could see on the LCD screen. As an alternative, a rooted Android would be a great choice.

I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00ECBY5VS
This *could* be my dashcam system if I had the time and will to put it together along with software.

- Input for up to 4 cameras

- 5 Year Warranty
One thing that concerns me about spending > $300 on any dashcam is not knowing whether it will last past a year. In addition to the unit costs, it can be a PITA to set this up properly and an added cost for those who do not DIY.

- USB storage that allows for drives of any capacity (i.e. flash, hard drives, etc)

I don't see any reason why 32GB or 64GB has to be a limitation. I should be able to connect a 4TB hard drive or 1TB SSD if I want to. Another big limitation is that the SD cards can not be hidden outside the unit. This means for security reasons many people will end up removing the unit and cannot capture coverage of their car being broken into. I want the computer/black box to be hidden deep inside the car along with the storage so a thief can steal the camera, but would have a hard time accessing the storage.

- Black box, controls, and cameras to be separated by standard connection wires (i.e. USB)

Using some type of standard (non-proprietary) connection will allow the storage, cameras, power, etc. to be extended to any necessary length.

- The controls should have an LCD panel that can be easily viewed while in operation and mountable anywhere on the car

I've seen some dash cams that have a black box and a separate camera, but the problem with that is that if you hide the black box in the car somewhere you can't see it in operation. Perhaps the unit isn't working for an entire month while I assume it is because I can't see the green light that says it's on.

- UPS sold as add-on utility with different battery capacity options

I would like to see a unit the size of a laptop battery, one about 1/3 the size of a car battery and one about 1/2 the size of a car battery that could power the unit with varying runtimes based on how much the customer is willing to spend and the amout of storage space in the vehicle.

- Ability to connect to cameras not sold by manufacturer

This means the unit does not die when new technology is made available. Manufactures may like functional obsolescence, but I always think of it especially when I buy a "high end" unit.

- WiFi with Android and iPod apps

- rsync capability

When my car gets home, I want it to be able to connect to my home WiFi and automatically sync the video coverage with my home NAS.

- ability to connect dvi connection and bluetooth devices

These could be used to connect an external monitor on an as needed device and potentially control it with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse/pointed. Perhaps a small 12V LCD monitor could be sold as an add-on device.

mrted

This type of dash-cam solution with 4 x 1080p / 30 Fps ( I guess you don't want to go any lower than that ) + all extras you asking, - probably we see in 1-2 years ( unfort ) and believe me, it's not going to cost 300, nor 600, it's will be near 1K ( by today standards comparisons ).
Easier is to buy 2 x 2ch 1080p / 30fps. but they are not open OS.
Maybe @jokiin will have in near future something you asking.

This type of dash-cam solution with 4 x 1080p / 30 Fps ( I guess you don't want to go any lower than that ) + all extras you asking, - probably we see in 1-2 years ( unfort ) and believe me, it's not going to cost 300, nor 600, it's will be near 1K ( by today standards comparisons ).
Easier is to buy 2 x 2ch 1080p / 30fps. but they are not open OS.
Maybe @jokiin will have in near future something you asking.

Why would it be 1K? I can buy the unit I mentioned for < $100. The cameras would cost ~$200. The UPS for $50-75. An LCD screen for another $50 and a bit extra for cables. I could build the system myself today hardwarewise, I'm just not too sure about the software...

mrted

I think one of the limitations is the processing power of that Android unit. I doubt it has enough horse power to process 4 x 1080p video streams.

I noticed in one of the Amazon reviews, one owner had trouble playing 1 HD file...
My plan was to copy the video files to a 1TB USB based external hard disk and attach it to this dongle. Unfortunately, when I play a home video, it skips frames, plays only audio, or has a 3 to 5 second lag between the sound and the video portion. After 3 days of working on this, I was fed up. The processing ability of the dongle is weak to play video files properly. It is grossly under powered for this.

Also 4-channel 1080p home surveillance systems cost about $1,000.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00DEQM1Q8
To be able to get that in a much smaller package, costs would be higher.

Last edited:
I think one of the limitations is the processing power of that Android unit. I doubt it has enough horse power to process 4 x 1080p video streams.

I noticed in one of the Amazon reviews, one owner had trouble playing 1 HD file...

I'm not sure I buy that about viewing 1 HD file. I watch video on this thing all the time. There are details though about the compression, encoder, program used, etc. It should be enough for HD video. I agree it won't have enough for 4x1080p simultaneous streams. Another point is the cost of these Android sticks is absolutely minimal. If you could only record two channels with one unit, it wouldn't be too much additional expense to just add another stick for another two channels.

I would be interested to see the CPU/memory specs on that 4-channel system you referenced although I wasn't able to find any.

There are currently dual cam dashcams. What CPU/memory specs do they have?

mrted

Last edited:
Another thought is that Android is just starting to make it's way into the aftermarket stereo market. Why not make all of this into an aftermarket stereo to offset the cost -- i.e. one expensive unit, but you get both a stereo unit and a dash cam?

mrted

Also 4-channel 1080p home surveillance systems cost about $1,000.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00DEQM1Q8
To be able to get that in a much smaller package, costs would be higher.

Thats exactly what I meant. At the moment 4x 1080p for home is 1K. For cars there are no such a systems yet, but as I mentioned: in 1-2 years those systems will be available in smaller size and price will be at least 1K, compare to todays home 4 x 1080p, which will go down in price in 1-2 years lets say to 1/2 price, about 500 usd, and respectively car 4x 1080p will be 1K. Those are only predictions.
If these days 2ch channel 1080p / 30fps cost around 400 usd, then simple calculation show that 2 set of those would cost ca. 800 usd. If in 1-2 years all this will be packed into 1 device ( 4 ch ), then cost at least 1K ( or more ).

Why would it be 1K? I can buy the unit I mentioned for < $100. The cameras would cost ~$200. The UPS for $50-75. An LCD screen for another $50 and a bit extra for cables. I could build the system myself today hardwarewise, I'm just not too sure about the software...

mrted

You were referring to 4 channel in your first post.

When first time Swann HDR4-8200
home security 4ch x 1080p / 30fps came out, I also had crazy ideas about integrating it into my car but price is way too high ( 2'000 usd along with cameras which I dont need and local Maplin dont sell them separately).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-hig...el-cctv-kit-with-4-1080p-bullet-cameras-n57qk

and of course I would change to smaller cameras, but there are many other complications using home security DVR in the car, so I put my dreams aside.

You were referring to 4 channel in your first post.

Right, but I was really referring to capacity -- meaning you buy a system that is 4 channel capable, but the cameras would be accessories, so you could start with 1 and add 1, 2 or 3 more later.

mrted

mrted,

It's OK for requesting the features and price but what is available on a consumer market now at a reasonable price will not be anywhere near what you want. Like Niko has said, may be this type of 4-camera system will be available on the market in a few years time, that's may be. And the price will not be around just $200. So the end story is, these are the dashcams available on the market now, take it or leave it.

mrted,

It's OK for requesting the features and price but what is available on a consumer market now at a reasonable price will not be anywhere near what you want. Like Niko has said, may be this type of 4-camera system will be available on the market in a few years time, that's may be. And the price will not be around just $200. So the end story is, these are the dashcams available on the market now, take it or leave it.

Yeah, I realize that. And, I probably will end up starting off with a high-end single camera system and buy a Squaretrade warranty so that when it does die shortly after the mfr. warranty period ends, I can just go out and buy another system.

That said, I don't see any reason why many of the items are not available today. Is there a single system out there that lets you store data on a platform outside of the DVR? Why don't any of them allow for USB drives? Why aren't there more non-DIY UPS options? Why aren't there systems that separate the controls, black box and camera into separate modules for security and to allow for upgrading the camera later? This kind of stuff makes it seem that the manufacturers don't seem to understand the realities of what buyers want.

I wasn't expecting someone to send me a link for one of these I could buy right now.

mrted

the only way you'd get close to what you want right now (or anytime soon for that matter) would be to build it yourself, you're talking about a car computer at the moment

do I see the market going this way, not really

What you have suggested seems valid ideas. One member here you can talk to is Jokiin, I believe he is involving in dashcam design or production. However what you want now is not available anywhere near your price range.

Edit: LOL, Jokiin just ninjaed me. Well I guess we know his response now.

Last edited:
All I want is a 4 cam system with the main cam giving best quality. Heck, I'd even go for a pair of decent 2 cam systems as long as the price is right.
I don't want gps or g-sensor or other bells and whistles, all I want is decent video & audio in something that can be mounted discretely.

And I get the impression that more and more drivers want the same thing & not some huge shiny lump stuck to their screen.

Why don't you just buy yourself a Raspberry pi and use that. There are quite a lot of DIY type project to make a web cam with the Pi. you would get a whole programmable fully customizable and would do everything you want except for resolution. I don't think that the video camera off the unit can do more that 1080p. it won't fit inside a really small box if you are hooking up external 6tb hard drives to the unit. But it could be a fun project for you to play around with.

From a manufacturers perspective, putting out an open source dash camera is not financially viable and could be catastrophic for the brand.

Last edited:
Back