"DashCam Viewer" is NOT reading or displaying GPS info

You can use registrator viewer and the gps info extractor script.
Since dashcam viewer is not working on my win 7 laptop (and no i won't upgrade to win 10) and i don't like the many windows layout, i came back to registrator viewer and used a script to extract gps ingo. If you use the for loop to create gpx files with the same name of .MP4, registrator viewer is displaying gps info.

Since dashcam viewer is not working on my win 7 laptop (and no i won't upgrade to win 10) and i don't like the many windows layout, i came back to registrator viewer and used a script to extract gps ingo. If you use the for loop to create gpx files with the same name of .MP4, registrator viewer is displaying gps info.
off topic: You know that if you download windows 10 you can operate it as windows 7, if you download http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7 Windows 7 will soon be non supported by Microsoft (no more updates) I have used windows 10 for 2 years now and I use it as windows 7 because there is nothing visiable that says I have windows 10 operating system. Unless you chose windows 10 layout on your desktop

Last edited:
off topic : I have my reason to not upgrade. ****ty drivers on win 10 for my "old" core i7 laptop. I upgraded and rolled back immediatly since the fan was spinning all the time and i lost some feature i liked. I have win 10 on my others computers.
on topic : i was just saying that there is a free alternative to dashcam viewer if you have trouble with it (i have black screen on win 7). But it's not as user friendly as dashcam viewer since you have to extract gps data with a python script. But since i'm used to registrator viewer which i used with my mini 801, it's a personal taste.

off topic : I have my reason to not upgrade. ****ty drivers on win 10 for my "old" core i7 laptop. I upgraded and rolled back immediatly since the fan was spinning all the time and i lost some feature i liked. I have win 10 on my others computers.
on topic : i was just saying that there is a free alternative to dashcam viewer if you have trouble with it (i have black screen on win 7). But it's not as user friendly as dashcam viewer since you have to extract gps data with a python script. But since i'm used to registrator viewer which i used with my mini 801, it's a personal taste.
ok I understand

Thanks for this suggestion. I assume you are referring to the python script at https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/script-to-extract-gps-data-from-novatek-mp4.20808/. I will try it out. Quick question though, what do you mean by using a for loop? Did you add some for loop in the python script or you are somehow calling the python script multiple times on each file?

Is there any news about how to visualize GPS Data?
I am a new owner of a Viofo A119. Firmware 2.0. Dashcam Viewer 2.5.6.
DC works great but no GPS/Speed data whatsoever is being processed.
GPS works fine as GPS data is shown in Video file...

@traveler: does your dashcam viewer support windows xp? I am getting an error message "Dashcam Viewer.exe is not a valid Win32 application" when I try to run it.
the error is the same for v.2.2.2, 2.5.0 & 2.5.6.

Sorry, XP is not supported. Windows10 and macOS 10.8 or higher are the recommended OSs.

Is there any news about how to visualize GPS Data? I am a new owner of a Viofo A119. Firmware 2.0. Dashcam Viewer 2.5.6. DC works great but no GPS/Speed data whatsoever is being processed. GPS works fine as GPS data is shown in Video file...

Just to follow up, NeilinAsia sent me one of his movie A119 dashcam files that didn't show any GPS info in Dashcam Viewer. Upon examination in a hex editor, the areas in the file where GPS data is usually stored was empty (all zeroes)! See below. I don't have an A119 but I'm thinking that there may be a setting in the dashcam itself to turn on/off storage of the GPS data, and perhaps it was off in NeilinAsia's dashcam.
a119_nogps.jpg

- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

@traveler thank you so much...
It's weird as I did not notice any item in the menu to record GPS data or not...
I did send a request to Viofo to check on the matter.

I noticed in the meantime that firmware on cam is 2.01! While I see last official fw is 2.00...
Is there anyone can help me how to downgrade the firmware to try if it is a matter of firmware?

Last edited:
i have just tested Dashcam Viewer on Windows 10 pro 64bit.
It works only when it runned as administrator.
It works fine with 1440p and with 1080p60, but only with files with 1 min lenght. With 3 mins - DV doesnt show anything, only video. Also it works only from Sd cards folder.

Last edited:
Just to follow up, NeilinAsia sent me one of his movie A119 dashcam files that didn't show any GPS info in Dashcam Viewer. Upon examination in a hex editor, the areas in the file where GPS data is usually stored was empty (all zeroes)! See below. I don't have an A119 but I'm thinking that there may be a setting in the dashcam itself to turn on/off storage of the GPS data, and perhaps it was off in NeilinAsia's dashcam.
a119_nogps.jpg

- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

I have a Viofo A119 with firmware v2.0 and I can confirm that GPS data is logged to the video file even if the GPS Info Stamp is turned off in the Menu (pg. 4/8) and the GPS is set to On in the Menu (pg. 2/8). So with those two settings, I was able to see GPS data recorded and viewable with the DashCam Viewer v2.5.6.

I have a Viofo A119 with firmware v2.0 and I can confirm that GPS data is logged to the video file even if the GPS Info Stamp is turned off in the Menu (pg. 4/8) and the GPS is set to On in the Menu (pg. 2/8). So with those two settings, I was able to see GPS data recorded and viewable with the DashCam Viewer v2.5.6.

Which date format are you using? And which timezone? (I mean in the A119 options)
I guess the problem with me is a different date format that makes the software to not work carefully...

I prefer all the GPS map options of Registrator Viewer v6001 than any other. Thanks for posting and confirming this method (works on FW 1.1 & 2.0 ?) to extract the A119 actual GPS data then convert into GPX or KML,PLT,DAT,CSV,SRT. I use SRT then upload to YouTube to show the speed as a CC - closed caption in my dashcam videos, works well and can be disabled by user. Plan to buy A119 for front cam.

example here:

Which date format are you using? And which timezone? (I mean in the A119 options)
I guess the problem with me is a different date format that makes the software to not work carefully...

I am using East Coast/USA setup. That means MM/DD/YYYY with GMT -5.

I am using East Coast/USA setup. That means MM/DD/YYYY with GMT -5.
Thank you very much, I will make some test :)

Test done: Changed settings to MM/DD/YYYY and GMT -5: Now Dashcam Viewer works for me too... Hope in next version this problem can be corrected.

Last edited:
my unit is v2.0 firmware

1440p video wouldn't play in DV, but the route is shown on the map, speed graph is available too. I've tried with videos ranging from less than 10 secs to 4 minutes, all wouldn't play

switched to 1080p, everything works in DV

Just got a A119 today, updated to 2.02 firmware, and tried with Dashcam Viewer 2.5.8
At first with a 1440p video, wasn't getting any GPS data, then tried with some 1080p videos and it started appearing. Haven't had any problems with 1440p videos since, so not sure what happened there.

However, I just can't get used to the interface of DV, with its windows all over the place.

I tried Registrator Viewer, which I much prefer but of course it doesn't extract the GPS data from the A119.
I then came across NovaTrakt which works easily and flawlessly to extract the GPS data for use in RV so I'm happy now.

BTW @nasiayam you should update to firmware v2.0.2. On the NovaTrakt thread Viofo said there is a bug in 2.0 and 2.01 causing GPS data to not be read properly.

Back