Elephone Explorer Pro

I got the update and tried it out. I simply moved the .bin file to the root of the microsd card when the card was not in the camera (used external SD card reader). Then, I plugged the microsd card into the camera (while the camera was turned off), and plugged the camera into my computer via USB. The camera powered up, the screen on the back stayed black, but the light at the top turned yellow. It flashed slowly, then quickly, then stopped flashing, then the camera LCD screen menu turned on by itself. I accessed the microsd through my computer, using the USB connection, deleted the .bin upgrade file, and powered off the camera.

Now, the date timestamp is removed as it should be!

Thanks, they just emailed me the link. I'll risk the update.

The original ELE app worked great for the first ELE camera. However, on this one, I can get it to connect, but then it crashes.

My computer recognized the camera right away, no problems.

How has your experience with the gyro been? I was expecting more stabilization...
For me the gyro does an excellent job but only for a limited period of time. I used the camera as a dash cam and for the first ten minutes or so the gyro worked very well. After that it seemed to stop working and by the end of a six-hour road trip it started to exhibit a "jumping" behavior. Whenever the gyro would normally react, such as going over bumps or around a corner, it would jump up and down instead.

Thanks, they just emailed me the link. I'll risk the update.

The original ELE app worked great for the first ELE camera. However, on this one, I can get it to connect, but then it crashes.

My computer recognized the camera right away, no problems.

How has your experience with the gyro been? I was expecting more stabilization...
The first video shows the gyro working well on a short trip to the post office.

The second video shows the "jumping" problem at the end of a road trip.

Thanks Teri! Very helpful!

I put together a few more videos showing off the ELE Explorer Pro:

ELE Pro versus GitUp 2

Field of view demonstration:

Drone flights: (check out the end for time lapse mode)

Thanks Teri! Very helpful!

I put together a few more videos showing off the ELE Explorer Pro:

ELE Pro versus GitUp 2

Field of view demonstration:

Drone flights: (check out the end for time lapse mode)
Great videos! So do you prefer the Elephone or the GitUp? It's a toss-up for me but maybe a slight edge to the Elephone . . . not really sure. :)

Great videos! So do you prefer the Elephone or the GitUp? It's a toss-up for me but maybe a slight edge to the Elephone . . . not really sure. :)
Wich one has the widest FOV between the Git2 and the Explorer pro with gyro off?

In my review I recommend the Explorer Pro even though it's a "fake" 4K. I just checked GearBest and found the silver colored version is on sale for $61.99. That's an outstanding price for this camera.

In my review I recommend the Explorer Pro even though it's a "fake" 4K. I just checked GearBest and found the silver colored version is on sale for $61.99. That's an outstanding price for this camera.
When is it US$61.99? Its now US$69.99 and its on flash sale.

When is it US$61.99? Its now US$69.99 and its on flash sale.
Yes, unfortunately it has already gone up, though at US $69.99 I still consider it an excellent bargain. It was $61.99 on Friday, December 16th. :)

Yes, unfortunately it has already gone up, though at US $69.99 I still consider it an excellent bargain. It was $61.99 on Friday, December 16th. :)
Strange as Gearbest show $98.37 on search but on the page $69.99 Flash Sale! Still a bargain!
I paid $69.99 a few weeks ago (less a few Gearbest "dollars" as well) and only thing I miss is no Slow Motion like Explorer Elite but stabilization is way better on the Pro plus Wrist Remote.

RSC is Gyro, in my version the menu choices for this function is in the same spot.... Funny, but my version 1.0 has a dat 20160408, thats AFTER the date for V.1.1 :)
RSC or Rolling Shutter Capture is quite different to Image Stabilization or "Gyro" and designed to capture extreme conditions of motion.
Why RSC was deleted from cams after the early Version V1.1 cams that had both back to Gyro only V1.0 and RV2.0 cams is odd to say the least.

I'm sharing this since I'm sure it will help. @TeriTerryTarry wrote a great review on this camera, you can read it here http://pevly.com/elephone-explorer-pro-review/
It's quite informative and in-depth
Good review on PEVLY site for this cam.
No way the Explorer Pro has an IMX117 sesnsor though, it is an IMX078 and basically a SooCoo C30 which correctly states IMX078 among other things Novatek have only just optimized the NT96660 chip for the faster IMX117 sensor.

Anyway one thing I noticed the reviewer said the cam was sloppy in the waterproof case. Maybe as I bought the newer version [RV2.0 which has a wrist remote included] they have re-designed the case. In fact I couldn't get the cam out it was fitted so tight! ;)
The inside of the case is now molded to fit around the cut-away front panel. A replacement case (SJCAM style) will still fit the Pro of course, just not as tight.

New firmware for Explorer Pro: V.10, but 20160518. Found it at Gearbest. The bug with the date/time stamp is fixed, and just found out there is a "shutter" sound when shooting a photo :)

Sounds like a "real" camera. I guess there may be other things which are improved in this version! Seems I'm not able to upload.... but just pop over to Gearbest, the link us just at the end of the description...
I checked with Elephone about a later firmware version. Here's their e-mailed response: "We have no new firmware, different batch have different firmware. they are not compatible." So your camera is from a later production batch and I can't update my firmware to the latest version. Apparently you're stuck with the firmware version on your camera forever too! :rolleyes: I guess the firmware update that I did in fact install was only for very early production batches.

I checked with Elephone about a later firmware version. Here's their e-mailed response: "We have no new firmware, different batch have different firmware. they are not compatible." So your camera is from a later production batch and I can't update my firmware to the latest version. Apparently you're stuck with the firmware version on your camera forever too! :rolleyes: I guess the firmware update that I did in fact install was only for very early production batches.
Yes, V1.0 ends at 20160530 V1.0 (sometimes listed as 06/06/2016) Gearbest are now selling Version 2 of Pro that has a Wrist Remote for example.
These versions have different BIN filenames V1.0 is FW96660A.bin while Rv2.0 is FWHT108M .bin and are NOT compatible. using wrong versions will brick the cams.

Here is a list and links I have for Ele Explorer Pro V1.0 and RV2.0

Pro Version V1.0 - No Wrist Remote

Ele Pro 20160408 V1.0 FW96660A.bin - https://mega.nz/#!o1onzLRC!t5X3MYBDTY4t3m76rUhf7PV6rx3AHNzB14T0zPgH8rA

Ele Pro 20160518 V1.0 FW96660A.bin - https://mega.nz/#!csZDiDZR!S7JanHLxbSx0L-gtbrzLsPkJZxlHe5-Souzc4luZdCM

Ele Pro 20160530 V1.0 FW96660A.bin - https://mega.nz/#!t4QgRKDS!LPTmfbU0ioolrKh__awSk8Zg_idVo6RinMMTfHFacAU

Pro Version RV2.0 - Wrist Remote Version

Ele Pro 20160803 RV2.0 FWHT108M.bin - https://mega.nz/#!MhxXlRpa!2O7tzMQ6JsUSOVH6LNzZj1y-6GGgzwmJVaYttKe9Isk

Ele Pro 20160914 RV2.0 FWHT108M.bin - https://mega.nz/#!45ghFZBT!G2O5021sJ9QR_jQjPbsjWwpdku5BMTvo9k22M43hgxc

Ele Pro 20161130 RV2.0 FWHT108M.bin - https://mega.nz/#!8tozDQhD!4jGR2h1VLevidrF3wNsh7v7RMjXKJHJkOzhvjGykxeA

NOTE:
This is the last support versions. EleCam and MGCool have introduced a new range.

ELE Explorer S/MGCool Explorer - Explorer 4k Allwinner V3 with upgrade to 8MP Sony IMX179 from OV4689 sensor. ELE LINK and MGCool LINK

MGCool Explorer 1S will take the place of ELECAM Explorer Pro V1.0 but with IMX078 (doubt strongly Pro ever had IMX117) GB LINK and MGCool LINK

MGCool Explorer 2 - LINK SooCoo S100 for full details.

MGCool Explorer ES 3K - Allwinner V3 with Geko Micro GC2023 sensor. GB LINK and MGCool LINK

MGCool Explorer Pro - takes place ELE Explorer Pro GB LINK with remote but MGCool no Wrirst Remote MGCool LINK

Last edited:
MGCOOL cams are on flash sale at geekbuying if anybody is interested!

Back