New xiaoimi yi camera on the horizon

Some more about the camera.

Bo Lorentzen ( must be Danish ) talking a little about the cool drone.

Some info on the SOC in the thing.

The new H22 SoC is capable of encoding 4K Ultra HD video at 60 frames per second using the H.265 (HEVC) or H.264 (AVC) video formats, and supports advanced Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) up to 4K resolution. The on-board 1.2 GHz Quad-Core ARM® Cortex®-A53 CPU provides significant processing power for customer applications including flying camera flight control, advanced analytics, video stitching and wireless networking. Fabricated in 14nm process technology, the H22 offers very low power consumption, enabling 4K cameras with small form factors and extended battery life.

“The H22 brings 4Kp60 Ultra HD video at extremely low power into the mainstream,” said Chris Day, VP of marketing and business development at Ambarella. “With 4K HDR, 4K EIS, and a quad-core CPU, the H22 enables a new generation of drones and sports cameras with outstanding video quality and extended battery life.”

The H22 includes a highly optimized image processing pipeline with excellent imaging and advanced noise reduction, and a hardware de-warp engine to support wide-angle panoramic designs with minimal distortion. The device’s 4K EIS can augment or potentially eliminate the need for a mechanical gimbal in a drone. The ability to encode at high frame rates, including 4Kp60 and 1080p120, delivers smooth slow motion, high definition video even during fast action shots.

A typical use case for the H22 in a drone might be to simultaneously encode 4K Ultra HD video, stabilize it in real time using EIS, and execute flight control algorithms using input from an array of sensors including an optical flow sensor. Additionally, a second, low-delay, Full-HD live video stream may be processed, encoded and wirelessly transmitted to the pilot for monitoring and camera control.

Ambarella will demonstrate the new H22 device at a private, invitation only event held during the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, January 5 – 8, 2017.

I do like to read 4K and EIS supporting that :cool:

Also like "H.265 (HEVC) or H.264 (AVC) video formats" at least there is the option to choose what you like to record with.

Lets hope some of the other actors in the camera market pick up on this SOC too soon :)

So it seem like the Yi4K+ use the same sensor as the regular 4K model, thats probably allso why the camera can not do more then the 120 FPS for 1080p recordings.
As you might know the sensor is the 12 MP IMX 377.

Say what you want, i am sitting here making myself exited over this new camera.

If it could do 1080/240 it would have been just jaw-dropping, but i also understand their decision to go with the older known sensor.
Maybe the 4K++ will be able to do that if SOC and another sensor support that :cool:

Wondering what new firmware will do to enhance the "old" 4K. My 4K is not even broken in yet.

The OLD 4k is on different hardware, the only thing the 2 cameras share to my knowledge is the sensor and the battery, and maybe the lens too.
But the most important new thing in the new camera is the new chipset allowing for 4K/60 fps, the old ( A12 i assume ) chipset cant do that.

I'm going to be critical here, big drop off in quality in slow motion footage. Wondering if it's the footage or processing method ie blended?

I'm going to be critical here, big drop off in quality in slow motion footage. Wondering if it's the footage or processing method ie blended?

It's just youtube compression. I have 2 of the old Yi 4K and slowmo is crystal clear. Best part is it automatically slows down for you, no need to change playback rate in video editor.

The OLD 4k is on different hardware, the only thing the 2 cameras share to my knowledge is the sensor and the battery, and maybe the lens too.
But the most important new thing in the new camera is the new chipset allowing for 4K/60 fps, the old ( A12 i assume ) chipset cant do that.

Don't forget new h22 is on smaller lithography. Yi's already class-leading battery life just got even better :)

I hope they don't waste too much time/money/effort on the drone. Love the carbon construction, but that thing is huge. Most importantly, wide angle lens on a drone is silly. Karma is the worst drone to be produced in years... this might be second worst.

BTW on the subject of SD Cards, mentioned in another thread I can't find now, I'd imagine you're going to need a 128GB card if it's supported to run this cam for any decent length of time. I currently use a 32GB card in my GoPro Hero 2, which has quite a low bit rate, I believe it's around 15mbs, so 1/10th approx of the 4K+, and despite only making 2x20 min journeys a day, and the odd other 1 mile journey here and there, it only lasts a few days before the card is full. So with 120mbs, even a 128GB card will only hold a few hours at the most before needing to be cleared, or being overwritten if looped.

Question now is which is better as a car cam, the 4K+ or the Vico Mf3? On paper the Yi takes it, but as we all know, when it comes down to carcam usage, the focal point and DOF are critical factors as well as overall quality.

Indeed.

I think the new Sonys do upward of 100 Mbit if you let those rip. :)

Maybe action cameras will be the first ones to use a SSD, though i would prefer if dashcams got there first.

you dont need to go that high, i an sure regular class 10 / U3 cards with speeds areound 80 MB/s is fine, even good class 10 / U1 cards should be fine.

Our dashcams around 20 mbit only use like 2 MB/s , the mobius 2 of mine generate 800 MB files ( 3 minute long ) 1080/60 - 35 mbit ) thats just something like 4.4 MB/s write speed

800 MB divided with 180 seconds ( 3 minutes ) = 4.4 MB every second.

A cheap U3 card like the 128 Gb Toshiba i have ( EXCERIA M302-EA - 35 MB/s write - 90 MB/s read ) will therefor be just fine in the yi 4k+ and even a fancy Sony action camera i would think.

http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/products/microsd-cards/exceria/exceria-pro-m302-ea.html

The Toshiba was the cheapest 128 Gb / U3 card i was able to find when i got it, and since then it have been going strong for months in my SG9665GC with just 1 format due to firmware upgrade.

Assuming here.

Say a yi 4k+ generate 2000 MB files for 3 minutes of recording in 4K/60 - 60 mbits, so thats just a write speed of 11 MB/s.

So if thats totally wrong and it do 4000 MB for a 3 minute file thats then a write speed of 22 MB/s and thats still within reach of a good Class 10 / U1 or U3 card.

So yeah with 4 Gb every 3 minutes there is not room for much footage on a 64Gb card for sure, you will run out of storage space way before the battery run dry.

With numbers like that for sure not a camera you will use for dashcam, of for that matter on your bicycle or what ever recording your workout session, ad so the camera is indeed a action camera as you will only have storage space to record those peak action moments, at least if you do so in 4K/60.

Make sure to keep megabits and megabytes apart, those 2 do confuse some people.

Last edited:
I agree that for a 100Mbit bitrate you do not necessarily need a monster card, with a real writing speed of 60 or more Mbyte/sec (a 100Mbit bitrate at the end corresponds to 100/8= 12.5 Mbyte/sec). Hence, also a fast UHS-1 card (which is able to write at a speed above 20-25 Mbyte/sec) could do the job....for example the Samsung Evo+ UHS-1.

In regard to the Toshiba you cited: I have that card, and it a very good card for the price, also certifies UHS-3 (which makes it compatible, eventually used with a MicroSD to SD adapter, with those devices, such as my Sony 4K FDR-AX100, which require a UHS-3 card to enable the 100Mbit bitrate). Unfortunately, the Toshiba card is not recognized by the Xiaomi Yi II 4K, which makes me uncomfortable in believing that such card could be accepted by the coming Xiaomi 4k+ action cam (hopefully I am wrong, and Xiaomi will fix the problem of the incompatibility issue with many current microSDXC cards).

you dont need to go that high, i an sure regular class 10 / U3 cards with speeds areound 80 MB/s is fine, even good class 10 / U1 cards should be fine.

Our dashcams around 20 mbit only use like 2 MB/s , the mobius 2 of mine generate 800 MB files ( 3 minute long ) 1080/60 - 35 mbit ) thats just something like 4.4 MB/s write speed

800 MB divided with 180 seconds ( 3 minutes ) = 4.4 MB every second.

A cheap U3 card like the 128 Gb Toshiba i have ( EXCERIA M302-EA - 35 MB/s write - 90 MB/s read ) will therefor be just fine in the yi 4k+ and even a fancy Sony action camera i would think.

http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/products/microsd-cards/exceria/exceria-pro-m302-ea.html

The Toshiba was the cheapest 128 Gb / U3 card i was able to find when i got it, and since then it have been going strong for months in my SG9665GC with just 1 format due to firmware upgrade.

Assuming here.

Say a yi 4k+ generate 2000 MB files for 3 minutes of recording in 4K/60 - 60 mbits, so thats just a write speed of 11 MB/s.

So if thats totally wrong and it do 4000 MB for a 3 minute file thats then a write speed of 22 MB/s and thats still within reach of a good Class 10 / U1 or U3 card.

So yeah with 4 Gb every 3 minutes there is not room for much footage on a 64Gb card for sure, you will run out of storage space way before the battery run dry.

With numbers like that for sure not a camera you will use for dashcam, of for that matter on your bicycle or what ever recording your workout session, ad so the camera is indeed a action camera as you will only have storage space to record those peak action moments, at least if you do so in 4K/60.

Make sure to keep megabits and megabytes apart, those 2 do confuse some people.

Yeah some of them are overkill. Then again it's worth remembering that sometimes the camera / card doesn't write at full speed near the beginning and end addresses. I have that issue with my Hero 2 and I'm using SanDisc Pro (genuine and exchanged once direct with SanDisc). However, at the beginning and end of a recording, I often get the message "Low Speed Card". A few minutes in or 20 minutes out from the end, no issues. As for it being low speed, it's anything but and the Hero 2 in normal mode I believe is around 15mbs.

Yeah some of them are overkill. Then again it's worth remembering that sometimes the camera / card doesn't write at full speed near the beginning and end addresses. I have that issue with my Hero 2 and I'm using SanDisc Pro (genuine and exchanged once direct with SanDisc). However, at the beginning and end of a recording, I often get the message "Low Speed Card". A few minutes in or 20 minutes out from the end, no issues. As for it being low speed, it's anything but and the Hero 2 in normal mode I believe is around 15mbs.

good point. I run a Flashbench test and speed was very good. I also run my own test (i.e. copy of files until the max size) and speedrate was equally very regular until the end. However, I agree with you: worth I try my card in real situation with the card!

I just dont get the selfie people, i like snapping pictures but not of myself, why the hell would i want to do that.

I think my totals of selfies in the close to 40 years i have been snapping pictures is 2, and then i might have made some video footage in my car that i assume qualify as selfie too.
But those recordings have been to demo what you can expect from a camera in a car, it is not like i have made those recordings so people can see how good looking and trendy i am.

O and i might record myself in the car soon, but i will do my best to have the parts with myself to a minimum.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B YI 4K+ Action Camera 0
Matt_V939 YI 4K+ Action Camera 26
Back