Mounting For Extreme Heat Climates

Cobber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Outside temperatures here in summer can reach 44C in the shade. Attaching the camera directly on the windscreen would expose it to direct sunlight temperatures well in excess of 60C.

I thought about different options, and since the lens can be rotated both vertically and horizontally, tried it stuck directly on the glass of the rear-view mirror. It worked out fine.

As you can see from the photos, even on a sunny day, the camera body is protected from direct sunlight by the mirror itself. It also means I can use the silver windscreen shade when parked. I would not be able to protect the camera with that shield if it were stuck directly on the windscreen.

I also hardwired the camera to the accessories circuit in the fuse panel, using a 12V to 5V converter and add-a-fuse.

Even on 40 degree days, when the car has been parked in the sun, I have not had any problems with the camera.

6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

By doing that, you incurred a disadvantage of having less rear viewing and that presents a safety issue. I'd suggest you look into a suction cup mount, such as these:
1)
2)

I know suction cup mount might not provide the same advantages as mounting on your rear view mirror, but at least it won't present a safety issue.

@hoang51

I don't use my rear-view mirror much (you can see the heat screen on the rear window reflected in the mirror), I use my side mirrors which have small blind-spot mirrors stuck on them.

But, yes, I could see that might be a problem with some cars. I would then suggest adding a wider clip-on rear view mirror to give more room for the camera to be mounted out of the line of sight.

Living in Canada, I can attest to the camera (I had A118C before, now A119) functions without a single glitch in -40 and +40 using the standard window mount. Interesting DIY project though.

no heat issues with mine here in Texas' summer heat either - attached directly to the windshield and most times not using a silver sun-shade either. no garage/carport at home. just sitting in the driveway (with one tree way off to the side that only provides shade after 5pm) or at work, in a wide open parking lot with the only "shade" coming from lamp posts and birds. :D

I think most people are far too reliant on the inside rear view mirror anyway. It gives a false sense of security so they don't use the side mirrors when they need to.

I'm so reliant on side mirrors that I actually returned a rental car less than 24 hours after I got it (Nissan versa note s) because its side mirrors were completely worthless. Even with them adjusted all the way out, the body of the car still took up half the mirror. I might have been able to deal with it, but that little hatch had horrible blind spots.

And it wasn't a pleasure rental - I would have had it several weeks while my car was in the body shop.

Any time I get a new vehicle, the first thing I ever do is install wedge shaped convex blind spot mirrors. I'm so used to having them, it feels weird to drive a car without them.

Thankfully the focus hatch that replaced the Nissan rental had blind spot mirrors built in from the factory, and the main side mirrors were still useful as well.

Back