SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

Then there is the reflective issue to deal with when it's a plate in your headlight beam.
I know, that's why I used these examples of cars that are not in the beams.

I recently found a way to get those plates legible on the rearcam (G90C): ;)

Another observation. White looks a bit white here. AE center, contrast -1.

3twLHU6.jpg

Cool, I've not seen this for years! (way back when I was doing microPIV) It's called ghosting and it's a CMOS effect of the previous image embedded in the current one.
I moved the cam quickly over the paper to get motion blur, too slow obviously. Or better stated: There's too much light in this test.
You can see the ghostletters to the right of the proper ones. Exposure time is much shorter than 1/30 s. Image is crisp, and you can see how far I moved in one frame.
Especially the 8 is obvious.

DSkF897.jpg

If I change the EV to -2 and postprocess with gamma 2.0 I get a similar image but you can also see the second ghost image.
IM43Pju.png

If anything I would have thought increasing the ISO sensitivity would be better because the it could use a faster 'shutter speed' but the rather generic and basic tests I did showed that you woukd need quite a jump in 'shutter speed' to make plates legible at night and the impact on the overall exposure wiuld be significant.

Then there is the reflective issue to deal with when it's a plate in your headlight beam.

Here's where I did those basic tests:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...exposure-hid-xenon-standard-bulbs.1444/page-2

'Shutter Speed' definitely seems to be the determining factor for capturing plates outwith the headlight beam but then you would have to increase the ISO and I don't think the tiny sensors in these cameras could cope with much more at the moment and this wouldn't solve the reflective glare anyway. To be fair they already do a very good job considering the size of them. The only other solution I can think of at the moment for the glare is a wider dynamic range, but taking into accoun the brightness of the plate and how dark the environment can be, it would have to be a pretty huge dynamic range.

A larger sensor would help (but perhaps not with the glare) but then everything else inceases in size, although some dashcams I've seen aren't much smaller than my A6000 which has a decent sized 1.5 cropped sensor in it, but once you add on a fast lens then the size gets pretty big. If a decent enclosure could be developed so it looks OEM then it wouldn't bother me because the rear view mirror units are getting pretty big these days what with rain sensors etc being in them.

The brake light test makes me wonder if infrared or ultraviolet could be used in some way but I'm not sure how or if it would even work, perhaps filters? I notice that a lot of CCTV cameras switch to B&W at night, I wonder if this help somehow?

SG9665GC (V3) - changes the exposure when you change the shooting angle

462c09e01b91.png

Last edited:
I just noticed the current V2/V3 firmware on the SG support page is now listed as Update 4.

Is this the same as Beta 30?... or are there additional tweaks between Beta 30 and Update 4?

I just noticed the current V2/V3 firmware on the SG support page is now listed as Update 4.

Is this the same as Beta 30?... or are there additional tweaks between Beta 30 and Update 4?

firmware is the same, just the release notes have been cleaned up and the updated user manual is included

If only you could mess with camera settings by pressing headunit touch screen too, that would be awesome.

I have been eying new HDMI wireless transmitters meant for use with VR headsets for use in another way.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sixa-rivvr-wireless-vr-system,33427.html

I could use lagfree or at least very low lag wireless HDMI signal transmission, for my dark projects :cool:

Is there a new Mac app for watching recordings? I tried downloading the one on the SG website but it keeps crashing.

Is there a new Mac app for watching recordings? I tried downloading the one on the SG website but it keeps crashing.

you can download from Datakam directly, they have it hosted there, we only put it on our site as some people are hesitant to download from Russian websites

you can download from Datakam directly, they have it hosted there, we only put it on our site as some people are hesitant to download from Russian websites

I know!....The last time I tried to download RegistratorViewer all I got was a giant folder full of Hillary Clinton emails! :D

I just noticed a "weird" thing about this Registrator Viewer. This version 6.0.0.22 is 10 megabytes in size yet the older version 6.0.0.8 that I have using if only 1 megabyte in size, why such big discrepancy?
The release versions were always around 1mb or so, the intermediate releases had some development stuff in the code and were not trimmed of all the fat as they weren't meant for public release but we're a work in progress

I completely forgot I bout Dashcam Viewer after I bought my 9665!

Well, I guess we have proof of the overcompensation of yellow....

Recovery 6 minutes later when I got off the highway:

Jokin has the original in his inbox.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R SG9665GC 1
Brent. SG9665GC 17
A SG9665GC 100
jokiin SG9665GC 24
jokiin SG9665GC 154
Back