The Car/Charger May Make A Difference

Joel Irwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I recently upgraded / replaced my iPhone 5 with an iPhone 7 Plus, I noticed it was taking a significantly longer time to charge the phone in the car and sometimes the battery percentage went down. I did some investigation and while the phone and the 0806 did not draw that much current, I did notice that with some of my adapters (including the one which I was using in the car), the voltage would be between 4.88 and 4.91 volts instead of over 5 volts.

Now there are literally over 10,000 entries for car chargers on eBay and I have found that they pretty much all advertised the same specs. So I last week I tried to find one different - one that I would be sure that output 5 volts or greater on both USB ports, would support both my iPhone 7+ and 0806 and would provide me with a quicker charge for my phone in the car.

I believe I finally found one that is different and charges my phone as quick as plugging it into an outlet with an Apple 'brick' adapter.

So why do I mention it here? I am wondering now whether an output voltage below 5 volts, even slightly as the 4.88 above, could be responsible for the occasional "blue only light" problem which results in SD card 'fragment' errors.

Hard to tell at this point. I could have sworn that a few days ago I saw a blue light only on the 0806 and was going to reformat the uSd card. But now it seems to be working fine.

So I am going to watch to see if I get any more blue light problems.

Here is the info to the charger I decided to purchase - a bit higher than the $3 to $8 range of most of the adapters, but worth the extra money:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182258537742

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182258537742
It should work. If you look at the first picture it shows 2.4A. It is enough strong to charge your iPhone and MINI.
"Blue light" issue it is Memory I/O error. Unfortunately it's not power related error.

I am just wondering out loud if the below 5 volt power could possibly cause the data corruption on the usd card (a blue light symptom/problem is a result of a 'fragment error' which I assume is a read/write error from/to the card). I have seen it twice in the last six months and merely reformatted the card in the 0806 to fix it. So I am just saying here, I will wait and see if it happens again. That's how troubleshooting works. If it happens again, the substitute charger had no impact. If I can go say 6 months to a year without a blue light problem, I may start thinking the older adapter may have played a role.

Back