Need something better than G1W-C, to many problems.

walkjp1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I have purchased all of my cameras through Spy-Tec, so they should not be fake. My newest camera, purchased Nov, is only recording sometimes, lot of empty folders. Purchased 1 same month, arrived almost D.O.A. (worked couple of hours, returned to spy-tec). Had another 1 recently quit after about 6 months.

Have decided these are no longer worth the trouble. Am looking for more reliable capacitor type camera.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Street Guardian products are a solid choice, and they have the best service and support you will find anywhere.

Of the lower-priced cams, in the last year or so it seems quality has become a bigger problem than before with more than the usual number of complaints regarding DOA cams and cams dying within a year. There is a market ready for a cheap reliable no-frills dashcam with caps that nobody is filling anymore ;)

Viofo seems to have found a way to produce good cams at budget prices and their A118C or A119 series would be a good choice if a 'wedge cam' form factor will work for you. Viofo is also starting production of the G1W-S with a Sony sensor soon and if they can maintain the high build quality standards it should prove to be good too. The MateGo MG380C might be another good choice though it's larger than the G1Wx cams. And as always there's the original Mobuis though it lacks a screen and you have to buy the Caps separately and install them yourself (almost plug-and-play simple). And Street Guardian cams are more costly but worth it. The Xiomi Yi action cam might also work for you.

What I really want to see is the A119C cam made in a compact 'brick-on-a-stick' form factor for those of us who cannot use a 'wedge cam'. It has a waiting market as the OP shows. I'd be one of the first to buy if Viofo would make it :)

Phil

I agree with you Phil, seems like a good camera. -" What I really want to see is the A119C cam made in a compact 'brick-on-a-stick' form factor for those of us who cannot use a 'wedge cam'"

I need a camera with capacitor, screen would be nice, and not a stick on mount as I move my cameras to rental cars. Seems like the A119C only has a stick on type mount?

I'll second the mobius, unless you really do a lot of driving at night. There's nothing more portable, and reliable.

There us a way to use a suction-cup mounting with the A119 series (or almost any wedge cam) Click the Amazon link at the end of the OP text in this thread:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...8-b40-updated-june-14-2015.11588/#post-149111
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...8-b40-updated-june-14-2015.11588/#post-149111
It's a mount for a radar detector but works good here too. Won't help with my issues but will probably work OK for you ;) Mobius has a 1/4-20 screw mount and there are several suction-cup mounts which will work with it. The Chupad D501 is an economy wedge cam that also seems to be good for the price but I think it's battery-only so far. IIRC there's also a cap version of the Xiomi Yi action cam now which is getting good reports in dash-cam use. There are several other good cams so check out the forums here to see what their owners experiences are. Cheapest prices are buying direct from China but that will be a nightmare if you have problems so do consider using the recommended sellers listed in the main site reviews for each cam; you pay more but help will be there if you need it.

Phil

Thanks for all the help. Is there a guide anywhere showing what all the symbols on the screen mean?

Back