Best compatible 128GB memory card

flash memory prices are up at the moment...
That's an understatement. The 128GB PNY cards I bought for $34 last February are $68 now. :eek:

That's an understatement. The 128GB PNY cards I bought for $34 last February are $68 now. :eek:

going by the current factory direct cost we're paying for memory right now $68 is actually a good price, it's out of control at the moment

I got my Lexar 633x 128GB card but I couldn't format it using my DR650S. It kept trying to initialize over and over. I used SD Formatter and then copied the contents of my 64GB 300x Lexar that was giving me problems to it and inserted it back into the dash cam, bypassing the "initializing SD card" message. It has worked fine for 5 days straight. With parking mode off and connected to my PMP (for testing) it has gotten overwritten twice. No issues. I'm happy with it.

I'm glad the Sony one worked fine for you.

Hello, new 650S owner. I just purchased a 128GB Lexar 633x card as I have read that this is a good card for the device. Could you explain better the formatting process for me. Any special instructions or what to use to format it? I'm fairly new to this. I'm using a 2016 iMac computer if that matters for anything. Thanks.

This is what I used and what worked for me. The first step may not even be necessary but I did it anyway.

Step 1: Use SD Formatter as described on this page https://www.blackvue.com/sd-card-formatter/
Step 2: Use the Blackvue viewer to format the SD card
Step 3 (may be unique to me): Copy the contents of the SD card that worked. This may be the original/smaller Blackvue card that you are migrating from.

Your mileage may vary.

This is what I used and what worked for me. The first step may not even be necessary but I did it anyway.

Step 1: Use SD Formatter as described on this page https://www.blackvue.com/sd-card-formatter/
Step 3 (may be unique to me): Copy the contents of the SD card that worked. This may be the original/smaller Blackvue card that you are migrating from.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the reply.

So when the card comes in the mail my first step is to format it using the website download before putting it into the camera correct? Then I will use the camera to format it again and this will load the necessary files onto the card

Yeah that should work, based on my experience. But it's good to have another microsd card around (any size) in case you need to troubleshoot like I did.

Has anyone purchased the 128gb 633x from the only offering on Amazon ($36.95 + $5.03 shipping)? Kind of curious if anyone has good/bad experience with card from this seller.

Has anyone purchased the 128gb 633x from the only offering on Amazon ($36.95 + $5.03 shipping)? Kind of curious if anyone has good/bad experience with card from this seller.
That's about the same price I paid. Mine was $41 with prime shipping. I don't recall who the seller was. It has worked fine for me besides the initialization issue I described earlier.

Not sure where you're located but Best Buy Canada has them on sale for $59.99 or the 64GB version for $31.99

Well crap. I ordered from Amazon third party (will be here tomorrow), and B&H got them back in stock today for same price. Sigh

Can those of you with the Lexar 633x card please check something for me? Can you plug the card into your computer and check what the device id is? I have one I purchased from Staples awhile back and when I plug it into my Mac, Disk Utility shows the card as this:

a7ed40090225fe1db01d90e77b2df194.jpg

I purchased one from Amazon (third party) and it is showing as this:

c688b59012a20f2bd1ec75a9fd79a717.jpg

I am thinking the one I purchased from Amazon is counterfeit.

I will check mine tomorrow and let you know. How do I check the device ID in Windows 10?

Windows will most likely not give you the details as it will pull the information from the card reader instead, to get it correctly it's better to use a device which has direct access to the card such as an Android phone or tablet which has a built in micro SD card slot

I forgot I do have access to an Apple laptop which has a card reader built-in. Will let you know how it shows up.

Still interested if those of you with a Lexar card got a chance to see what the device id is! I initiated an Amazon return and ordered one from B & H.

Sorry, I typed this reply last night but forgot to submit it...

On an Macbook Retina 13" it still shows the "Apple SD Card Reader Media" and inside that it shows "--" as the name of the SD card. It's formatted already so maybe it has trouble reading the device ID. I really don't want to format it. Let me know if there is anything else you want me to look for. I tested the card using the PC-based utilities I mentioned on a previous post in a different thread and the card checked out OK.

Your mileage may vary.

I followed your instructions but wanted to note that the SD Card formatter doesn't allow you to set the format as MS-DOS. The weird thing about how all this is that the naming convention for FAT32 is all caps. The BV support site tells you to format cards 64gb+ with FAT32, then use the 650's built in camera formatter to set the card up correctly. In doing so the card name is changed to "Blackvue," which doesn't follow the all caps naming. If people are having an issue with their cards I'd do this:

1 - Insert card into computer

2 - Open Blackvue viewer app

3 - Choose the format card option and go with MS-DOSB(FAT32) option.

4 - DO NOT RENAME CARD (accept whatever the computer defaults to, i.e. UNTITLED

5 - Download firmware for your camera on BlackVue's site

6 - Extract zip and copy the "Blackvue" directory to freshly formatted card

7 - Install card into camera and power on

After several trips back and forth to my car (sigh) I figured out that I was changing the name once formatted. Once I left it to "UNTITLED" the camera accepted the card just fine. I will note that when you do this it is necessary to use either the BV computer app or the mobile app to set up recording settings/preferences.

I ordered the BlackVue DR650S-2CH and it arrives Monday. I ordered with the 128GB card, but would like at least 1 additional for backup purposes. At $95 for the card, it's a bit pricey. But it's also the safest option. I just received (2) 128GB cards from amazon, but after reading this thread, I'm thinking it's likely they may not work or won't work as well.

Do many people just buy the BlackVue cards because they work?

Last edited:
Somehow it looks like my DR650S-1CH and similar cams from Blackvue, are pretty sensitive to what cards You insert.
Not too fast, not too slow, not this and not that.

After reading about good & bad experiences with various 128GB cards, I was focused on the Lexar 633x.
Tried to order a Lexar 633x 128GB, but it was out of stock and finally the order was cancelled.

New plan...

Target:
UHS-1
Class 10
90-100MB/S

I put my eyes on this Sony 128GB XAVC-S (SR G1UY3A) card, as it seemed to have about the same specs as the Lexar 633x.

The Sony card matches the specs going with the Lexar 633x, except for the small diff. on the announced speed 90 vs. 95 MB/S.

After 2 weeks driving about 7.000km, I've had absolutely no problems at all.

View attachment 28682

Now a total of 7 weeks and some 28.000 km with parking monitoring on, still no problems.
The Sony 128GB XAVC-S seems to work perfect.

Cheers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DR650S 11
D DR650S 8
Back