Will a NEXTBASE kit do the job?

the road toad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius 1 Lens D in Freelander 2
Can anyone tell me if a NEXTBASE wiring kit with 5A fuse and an output of 5V/2a safely power a Mobius 2?

Yes, however, it's £20 at Amazon, so you may as well spend £25 instead on the superior-specced MS MultiSafer.

multisafer is a 12v product, he would still need a 5V power supply for the camera
If the OP doesn't already have a USB car charger, get one, pop it in the MultiSafer's 12v socket, & he's set. Also future-proofed if he decides to buy a 12v dashcam in a year or so.

Thank you for your replies.
After reading up on various Mobius compatible USB phone chargers and their amp output - some had 2.5A, I went with the NEXTBASE kit and it is working well.
I am told that the Mobius will only draw the power it requires - I think real problems start when 12V gets thrown through them!!!!

12V will toast a 5V USB cam but a few cams are made which accept 12V input through a non-USB port. 1.5A USB is the general recommendation as that gives some room for losses inherent in cables and connections while still giving the cam all the power it needs to remain stable. All cams will draw only what they need so excess power availability is nice but not absolutely necessary. It gives you more peace of mind and is somewhat less likely to leave you with power problems which is why I like having 2A available for each of my cams :cool:

Phil

Back