Cams with HD live streaming through WiFi?

muf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
As far as I know the only camera which does this is the Polaroid Cube (through a "hidden" streaming interface that you can access with a video player like VLC), but I'm curious if any other cameras have this option. I have a first-gen Xiaomi Yi where the live output is limited to 360p.

Must-have:
- at least 720p60 live streaming through WiFi

Bonus points for:
- 1080p60 WiFi
- rectilinear (non-fisheye) view (either through image processing like the Yi or a different lens like the Git2P 90 degree version)
- ability to connect to existing WiFi AP instead of self-hosting.

where the live output is limited to 360p.

anything Ambarella based will have a lower resolution for wifi access, this is normal, don't know that you'll find anything that does as high as 720p60 as it's too much data for the cameras wifi to reliably handle

I have not seen any camera with live steaming, but i have seen cameras with a preview on a tablet or phone app, but the delay is so high i would not call it live, you will see about a second delay on the "live" view.

And as jokiin say most often the preview is also a low resolution feed totally unlike what the camera may record.

So far the best i have seen is the new SJ7 Star camera based on the A12 chipset, it seem to have a lag on the preview below 0.5 second.

It always takes time for an image to go from sensor through processor to screen so in truth, there is no "live view" ;) The question is really how much delay is acceptable to you then what is available which can give you that.

I like the form-factor of the Polaroid Cube a lot :D It is only the low-performance internals which keeps me from buying one. If they do am upgraded "Cube2" then I might give one a try.

Phil

Back