Gitup battery buldge

gngan

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Dash Cam
Git1 & Git2
So I was charging 2 of the original batteries that came with the cam in office for my trip tomorrow and one of them bulge. Luckily I was there during charging! I am now stuck with 1 battery for my trip :(

The dual charger was from Gearbest for SJCam. Just a heads up guys, be careful!

Glad that GearBest has these for relatively low price and free shipping. I wish GitUp's website would have price match so I can directly order from them!

Attachments

• IMG_2286.JPG
    IMG_2286.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
Fingers crossed_3.jpg

I have 2 Git1 and 1 Git2 and none of the issues you mentioned above is happening to me (fingers crossed).

gngan 2017

Is the fault with the battery or with the charger?

Given how cheap those chargers are, it might be sensible to replace that along with the battery just in case it is over charging the batteries. Maybe check the charging voltage if you are able, voltmeter across battery when it is fully charged to see if it has been charged too much.

Holy crap! I've got 4 batteries for my git2: 2 are from gitup and 2 are xcsource for sj4k/5k. All for of them have a slightly noticeable bulge, but nothing as extreme as what you've got. I hope you can dispose of them properly!

FWIW, I've got a similar dual charger, but I bought it from amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B013QPPOYC
So I was charging 2 of the original batteries that came with the cam in office for my trip tomorrow and one of them bulge. Luckily I was there during charging! I am not stuck with 1 battery for my trip :(

The dual charger was from Gearbest for SJCam. Just a heads up guys, be careful!

Glad that GearBest has these for relatively low price and free shipping. I wish GitUp's website would have price match so I can directly order from them!

Yeah I have 4 original GitUp batteries and all have at least a tiny amount of bulge but nothing like that. Just enough to make them snug in the camera. I have a similar looking dual charger also for sjcam, and haven't had any issues like this. Probably just a defective battery. It happens. :(

Is the fault with the battery or with the charger?

Given how cheap those chargers are, it might be sensible to replace that along with the battery just in case it is over charging the batteries. Maybe check the charging voltage if you are able, voltmeter across battery when it is fully charged to see if it has been charged too much.

I don't know whose fault is it. I don't have a voltmeter and wouldn't invest in one (i don't use/need it). I will just get another battery if needed. Luckily the SJ cam battery which I use it in Git2 isn't bulging because I charge it within the camera. If it does then that would be an issue.

Lithium batteries need the correct charging parameters to do well (starts with constant current then switches to constant voltage as the cell or battery reaches a higher state of charge then cuts off completely at the prescribed voltage). Most cheap chargers do not perform this way- they supply only a constant current and do not have a voltage cutoff point- and those should be avoided for safety reasons as the cell can overheat during charging, perhaps even venting deadly gasses and igniting into a lithium fire which is hard to extinguish since it produces its own oxygen at those extreme temperatures :eek: At best their use will shorten the cell or batteries working life.

One easy way to sometimes tell which kind you have is to read the charger's directions- if it mentions that you should not leave the cell or battery charging for extended periods then it's a cheap one which will at best vastly shorten the cell or batteries useful lifespan. Unfortunately chargers and power supplies are where many manufacturers go cheap to maximize their profits on the sale, knowing that it will likely work well enough till the warranty period expires :( Battery quality also plays a role here but most LiPo's are OK or better, and being a 'pack' design makes upgrading here almost impossible anyway so you're stuck with using what you can get that fits.

I wish I could recommend a charger but I can't. The only good alternative I'm aware of is an adjustable "hobby charger" which is not exactly the 'plug-and-play' kind which most here would want. Those require a higher than usual level of knowledge and expertise than the average cam user has and if not used correctly can be as bad or worse than the cheap supplied chargers. If used correctly they will extract every bit of life from the battery or cell that you can get ;)

Phil

Back