How do I make files longer than the 1 minute default?

DarkSky

Reaction score
Country
Canada
'Arrived home from work at 4:15pm
'Had a package from Amazon on doorstep.
'Pulled out my battery booster from my truck which has 12V DC and brought it in house.
'Unboxed and plugged in my F770, downloaded app, connected to it via wifi.
'Took it out to the truck and stuck the damn 3M tape on the wrong way (upside down)
'Got out hairdryer to heat up the glue and pulled off the mount, flipped it around, stuck it back on windshield.

... all in about 20mins :p

SOooo... It's dark out now so I'll continue tinkering tomorrow but I noticed that it only records in 1 minute segments. ie: each video file is only 1 min long.

I'd prefer maybe 30mins or an hour, and have larger files and a LOT less of them.

I've gone through all the settings in the app and there doesn't seem to be a setting for video duration.

How do I change this?

Thanks in advance!

unlikely you can change it, 1 hour recordings would never happen as it would be over the file size limitations, even 30 minutes probably would be too large with 2 channels, larger files bring a host of problems when it comes to file handling, recycling, protected files etc

unlikely you can change it, 1 hour recordings would never happen as it would be over the file size limitations, even 30 minutes probably would be too large with 2 channels, larger files bring a host of problems when it comes to file handling, recycling, protected files etc

Hm... not sure. All my other recording devices (GoPro, camera (which records to microSD), camcorder, etc..) all record to large files fine.

It looks like the F770 defaults to formatting media with Fat32 file system, which is good for up to 4GB files.

It would be a nice option to have it record to max file size. That way when I want to review through a file for something, I can just scan through it with my fave video player (in my case, VLC Player) instead of having to go through 100 or 200 individual files.

If I'm on a trip that takes 2.5hrs of driving, and later reminded myself of something and wanted to go back to look, I'd have to go through 150 individual files the way it is now.

your other products aren't dashcams, the file handling is a lot different, that aside when you want to find something I find it far easier to look at a screen full of thumbnails to narrow down what I'm looking for, or better yet for GPS enabled models to just open the player and click on the map to where you were at the time and be taken straight there rather than try and sift through footage looking for something, there is no need to drill through individual files, what is appropriate to a GoPro isn't necessarily the same

I coudl always dump all the 50 or 200 or whatever files into a video editor, make one large file, then save it. Lots of time processing/re-encoding it all though. :(

Question: Does manual recording also save to 1 min videos? (I haven't had a chance to play with the unit much yet) I'll try and find out but a quick reply here would be easier :)

I coudl always dump all the 50 or 200 or whatever files into a video editor, make one large file, then save it. Lots of time processing/re-encoding it all though. :(
think you're over thinking things

not sure what it saves on the manual recordings

Ok - say I'm on a long highway drive. We see, I don't know, a nice Ferrari or Bugati, or a moose. After we stop I'd like to pop the microSD into my PC and look for it. What's the fastest way to scan through all those files without having to do it one by one?

I just got my F770 today so I can return it to Amazon. Does anyone know of another GOOD dashcam that has a good parking mode? (and of course, that records to larger/longer files) ??

Ok - say I'm on a long highway drive. We see, I don't know, a nice Ferrari or Bugati, or a moose. After we stop I'd like to pop the microSD into my PC and look for it. What's the fastest way to scan through all those files without having to do it one by one?

like I said either open up file explorer and look at the thumbnails, you'll recognise stuff if it was very recent, start a spot where you recognise things

file browser.jpg

for GPS enabled models it's much easier, open the player software, click on the map to where you were at the time and it will take you to that point in the video

map view.jpg

AAh ok. Right now I just have it here in the house plugged into a 12V DC battery as I check things out, so I haven't used it with GPS. That helps.

Thumbnails won't help much though. The cityscape changes every 5 seconds, and if I'm somewhere unfamiliar, I wouldn't know by a single screenshot/thumbnail anyway. And on long highway drives, mile after mile can all look the same :)

Question: If there's a JOLT that triggers the collision sensor, does it save that current file to the collision (I forget what it's called) folder? If so, a method after I see something neat while driving, would be to give the unit a light tap with my hand just to jolt it enough so that it saves that current file to the other folder. Yes/no?

PS - where did you get that Datakam Player from? I did a search and a bunch of Russian links came up (which I'm not about to trust...)

Thumbnails won't help much though. The cityscape changes every 5 seconds, and if I'm somewhere unfamiliar, I wouldn't know by a single screenshot/thumbnail anyway. And on long highway drives, mile after mile can all look the same :)

yeah as I said if it's something fresh on your mind it's easy enough to find by flicking through thumbnails, map is still far easier

Question: If there's a JOLT that triggers the collision sensor, does it save that current file to the collision (I forget what it's called) folder? If so, a method after I see something neat while driving, would be to give the unit a light tap with my hand just to jolt it enough so that it saves that current file to the other folder. Yes/no?

it will automatically save triggered events, there may be an option to manually save something also, most cameras have this, not all do though so something to check

PS - where did you get that Datakam Player from? I did a search and a bunch of Russian links came up (which I'm not about to trust...)

you can download it from the support page of our website https://streetguardian.info/support

not sure if your model is supported but it does have a lot of good features if it is a supported model, one feature you might like is the ability to stitch videos together and export without re-encoding, literally takes seconds to complete

Last edited:
it will automatically save triggered events, there may be an option to manually save something also, most cameras have this, not all do though so something to check

There's is a manual RECORD button, but I believe that's just for when you're parked and it's in parking mode. If an event happens you hit that and it starts continuously recording without having to start up the vehicle. So if you're on a smooth drive and see something you want for later, I think a hard tap with the finger of the device should jolt it enough to move that file into the incident folder.

you can download it from the support page of our website https://streetguardian.info/support
https://streetguardian.info/support

Great - thanks! I'll be plugging mine in on the drive to/from work today. If all goes well I'll get it hardwired in hopefully on the weekend.

It seems most dash cams record to 1 ~3 minute segments. They are named with the time so.. if you note the time an interesting event occurred you can then hone in to that section. Some third party viewers will automatically assemble all the segments into one and you can use a slider bar to go to any portion.
One popular viewer that does this can be downloaded here. http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html The person that developed had an unfortunate accident so there are no longer any updates.. but it works well and is free. Another viewer that is in constant development is at http://dashcamviewer.com/ It has a free limited version with a small fee for all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, with the viewer linked ^^ above (Registrator Viewer) I just get tons of errors, starting right when I load it up. (I'm on Win 7 Pro, Intel Core i7 6700k with 16 gigs memory).

Oh well, looks like I'm stuck with the viewer it came with (Thinkware Dashcam Viewer)

Attachments

• temp1.jpg
    temp1.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 12
  • temp2.jpg
    temp2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 7
mustn't be a supported model, the Thinkware comes with a player though which has the same sort of basic functionality

I do 2 things. I carry extra cards so if something critical happens I'm able to replace the card with another one that has the same settings file. I am able to protect the evidence this way. Secondly I use the manual record button for things that I can safely reach up and hit the button. That makes it easier to locate the file later.

Registry Viewer doesn't seem to support Thinkware products according to their web site.

Just remember the approximate time you saw it. The files are saved by date and time.

You could always tap the unit and make it think it's detecting an impact and that way it would save a protected file

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P F770 2
J F770 17
Back