Novatek (NT9665X) firmware studies

Tachograph NT96658 is now among the most high-end Novatek recorder program called top-level operating parameters of the industry; image sensor uses CMOS SONY image sensor (car recorder uses more series AR Micron, OmniVision OV series, and is currently the best in the industry is a CMOS Sony, SONY low illumination globally recognized as well); 7 glass lens uses a Sony HD camera, 12 million pixels, 1080P (1920 * 1080P) HD picture quality, Tachograph has 170 ° super wide-angle, 60 frames per second speed (720p) processing, fully automatic loop recording, do not leak seconds.
https://club.1688.com/article/60085068.html

Tachograph NT96658 is now among the most high-end Novatek recorder program called top-level operating parameters of the industry; image sensor uses CMOS SONY image sensor (car recorder uses more series AR Micron, OmniVision OV series, and is currently the best in the industry is a CMOS Sony, SONY low illumination globally recognized as well); 7 glass lens uses a Sony HD camera, 12 million pixels, 1080P (1920 * 1080P) HD picture quality, Tachograph has 170 ° super wide-angle, 60 frames per second speed (720p) processing, fully automatic loop recording, do not leak seconds.
https://club.1688.com/article/60085068.html

not sure what point you want to make???

So NT96658 supports 60 frames?

I also saw 'dumpuitron', 'dumpecos' and 'dumpdsp' commands mentioned in a fw file.
Sounds plausible, unfortunately I dont have a camera with uitron nor eCos kernel (so I dont have these commands).
I assume thats used in WiFi enabled cameras

How to try - Teams?
Create new txt document and the document name - ??
and expansion?

access to shell via uart is required.

What would all work correctly if you use only WiFi, you need video output - tulip, hang a load - 75 ohm resistor.
And everything works off ACC after 10 seconds. off. registration, incl. ACC - registration in WiFi mode, all settings are preserved.

Hello. I have a Jooy A1 screenless hidden dashcam with Novatek 96658, Wi-Fi and S-Video out.
https://yadi.sk/d/Ph61RSZW3EXaq4 - original firmware file

I am trying to modify video bitrate. But seems like I'm doing something wrong. As my dascam does not have screen, I need to go to my car every time I want to flash it.
What I did:

1. Decompressed FW with bfc-v01.exe d compressed.bin decompressed.bin;
2. Opened decompressed FW in HEX editor;
3. Changed A8 16 (5800) values to 10 27 (10000) to have a 20 Mb/s bitrate after this byte sequence: 80 07 00 00 38 04 00 00 1E 00 00 00 00 and saved it;
4. Packed FW with bfc-v01.exe c lz decompressed.bin compressed_20mbit.bin;
5. Renamed compressed_20mbit.bin to FW96658A.bin as this is the factory default name for firmware files;
6. Put both config.txt and firmware to SD card and put it in my Jooy;
7. And... nothing.

DVR instantly stops blinking and disconnects from Wi-Fi no matter how long I wait for it to go back online. I suspect it shows some kind of error message over S-Video but I have nothing to connect to this S-Video out to see it. If I disconnect the dashcam from power then remove SD card and then turn dashcam back on without it in SD slot it boots up normally but with old non-modified firmware.

Please help. Guess I did not update new FW checksum, but I do not know how to do it correctly.

Last edited:
Never mind, I found help on another forum by a guy named nutsey.
First I have found a way to update FW checksums using ntkcalc tool by Tobi@s. The point is that I was missing one step - "Generate and update checksum for unpacked FW first". So we need to update checksums twice. For unpacked and then for packed firmware. 20 Mb/s bitrate is awesome :)
Thank you all!

vvs49, I was not extracting firmware. It's a file I have found on the web. Guess it is a file from dashcam seller or something like that.

It's a file I have found on the web. Guess it is a file from dashcam seller or something like that.
So to get the bitrate of 20?
And my will approach this firmware?

vvs49, there you go: https://yadi.sk/d/jmHxTgMa3EadcP
Just rename the extracted file to FW96658A.bin and put it to SD card root alongside with included config.txt file.

Turn off your dashcam, insert SD card with FW files and turn it on. The LEDs will start to blink fast, then slow. Do not press anything. Wait for your dashcam to appear as "GST_somenumbers" over Wi-Fi and connect to it with an app. Format SD card. If you don't format it and leave these files on a card, your dashcam will itself each time you turn it on.

But if not mine, get a brick ??
Oh, seems like it's a different DVR. You better ask your seller to send you a firmware file first. Tell him you have some problems with your current firmware. And then we will modify it together :)

You better ask your seller to send you a firmware file first.
I asked, not firmware.
I'll take the firmware on the programmer, after the holidays.
How can I contact you by e-mail?

Back