WOw , I didn't know they could do this !

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
lOGcUWQ.jpg

4k and 2k are MJPEG and the rest is H.264
??????????

I didn't know they could do that

Just something else to watch out for I guess ..
Just ordered the cheapest 4k action cam I could find .. ( I know ) But I like cheap ( Shallow end of the pool )
Sellers claims 4k @ 30FPS ( I would like to see 4k @ 30FPS ) .. I have no idea how large the Pork Pie is ... ( Lie )

It amazes me though how Ebay allows FRAUD !
Guess $$ talks louder than scruples ...

Similar specs to a NAXA NDC-406 which I have. I purchased it at Fry's Electronics locally and told them I would return it if it didn't do 4K. The 406 does 4K at 25 fps though. From what I've been able to tell by pulling individual frames out of the MJPEG it's really 4K just not very good 4K. What artifacts I've noticed are indicative of a lower quality MJPEG setting. Seems like the engineers balanced quality to get 4K against the CPU available. One minute of video is ~500 MB. Bitrate is up around 65 Mbps.

Certainly not a bad little camera for the price if you want to play around with 4K footage. Here a YouTube video I shot using the 406:

My Ele Explorer ..

Thanks for posting your video. There are a number of other Ele Explorer 4K videos on YouTube.

I have 18 Mbps broadband speed and I don't understand why YouTube processes the videos in VP9 at such a high bitrate usually around 21 Mbps. I have 4K Roku TV but the YouTube player on it doesn't allow setting the "quality". I also have an Nvidia Shield TV and that YouTube player does have a "quality" setting so that 4K can be forced. Most of these demo videos unless the subject is static will start rebuffering because 4K needs more read ahead. However commercial videos like trailers or clips don't need rebuffering probably because they've been processed as VBR and there is often 20-30 seconds of read ahead.

Netflix and Amazon have no problem streaming 4K shows their Roku TV apps. Again those are probably VBR too. BTW, the implementation of broadband I have will often test at 23 Mbps but with actuall 23 Mbps provisioning they use two lines to the node.

The Naxa 406 is probably the same chipset with some different settings. Demo's I've watched compared favorably. At 15 fps they might be able to use a little better MJPEG setting. I recently acquired a Glide Gear stabilizer for the camera and have it balanced properly and might shoot some more 4K tomorrow at a park. What I really want though is a non-fisheye camera and I expect some more low end cameras coming on the market probably next month and maybe some with just a flat lens and 4K. Or a Powershot like camera from Canon with 4K would be fine. I have one that does 1080p at 24fps.

I'm also wondering if these are using an Ambarella chipset. The HD hybrids I bought years ago used their chipset and they even has an 8K solution these days.

I find its important to show samples in one file ( process ) for comparison ..
So no matter what happens , each video resolution can be compared to the other in at least the video presented for viewing ..
It's by no means a perfect solution .. I think You tube hosts 4k now .. though I post @ 2560 x 1440

YouTube has had 4K uploads since 2010 and viewing in 4K since December 2014. I uploaded a 3D animation in 4K in December of 2015. The Scenic Drive took 4 hours to upload since they want h264 and it was around a 2.4 GB file. I use the free ShotCut software to edit and it also does efficient encodes in HEVC and VP9 with different options. It does help to have a fast PC and mine is a Windows 10 PC machine with a Geforce 960 card.

One tip about the Naxa is that it comes with plastic protective film on the screen and some of the extras. Those all had a tab which was obvious. There is also one on the camera lens that has no tab so the spots on the video aren't from the windshield but from scratches on that protective film. Once removed the images were even clearer.

Last edited:
Just something else to watch out for I guess ..
Just ordered the cheapest 4k action cam I could find .. ( I know ) But I like cheap ( Shallow end of the pool )
Sellers claims 4k @ 30FPS ( I would like to see 4k @ 30FPS ) .. I have no idea how large the Pork Pie is ... ( Lie )

It amazes me though how Ebay allows FRAUD !
Guess $$ talks louder than scruples ...
Ha! I decided to try one too! It was USD $35.99 when I bought it. I'm still testing it but I've already discovered some of the reasons why it's so cheap.

All videos including interpolated 4K are MP4 but frame rates seem weird. I started a
separate thread on DCT about them.

Cheers mate! ;)

Aaaah , the V3 action cam ....
http://www.old4570.com/dashcam/V3actioncam.html I have one myself ...
Wow, that's great! Did you disassemble it far enough to verify the sensor or processor?

I haven't evaluated video or photo quality yet except to say that the color is warm - too yellow for me though some might like it. I can't say if IQ is good or bad at any particular frame rate. Did your frame rates stay the same at night or drop to 30fps? 60fps stayed the same, haven't checked 120fps.

Audio is terrible, perhaps the worst of any action camera I've ever used. On the other hand the WiFi and app are solid as a rock, among the best. The menu is very easy to navigate, in part because there aren't tons of settings.

"Toy territory"! So far this is my thinking as well. If the IQ on my camera is better than what you experienced then, given the price, this might be a good kid's first camera - something he or she can play with to learn about photography, videography and messing about with editing software. We'll see.

Thanks and cheers! :)

No , last cam I disassembled I killed ..
There is no way I have the skill to pull one apart and put it back together again ...
I killed one of these Action Cams to see how they were put together , that's enough for me ..

I have 2 more Action Cams on the way ..
A replacement for the SJ4000 Clone I killed ... ( Another SJ4000 clone )
And a H9 4K ( claimed 30FPS ) cam for $44 Ozzi bananas .. ( Looking forward to checking this out )
( Will the real H9 please stand up ? - If there is a real H9 ) A H9 for $44 Ozzi Bananas ( ?? ) Hmmmmm .
Anyhow I never got to play with the focus on the SJ4000 Clone , so was the video just from Rubbish internals or was there some room for improvement ? ( Killing it in hind sight was not the greatest idea )
I should have played with it and then killed it , like a cat plays with a mouse .. Oh well I got an expensive spare battery out of it .

If you want a decent cam , then just go ELE Explorer , its 4k @ 15fps , but very good video for the $50 USD these cams can be had for .
If like me , you just want to play - Action Cam ! Then you buy just what ever takes your fancy ..
I mean , I dont expect Gold for the price of fertilizer ..
It would be nice though if the cam didn't reek ! :p

I don't recall dropping frame rates at night ...
Though I don't think I tested it at anything but 1080 @ 30FPS in the evening / night ..
Low light performance is terrible ..

Back