MicroSD options, including MLC cards

I've been popping cards out of my cameras and into a Mac and back every other day without any issues. Deleting files shouldn't be an issue as long as one empties the 'Trash' before ejecting the card/drive. Having hidden files turned on, I can see the litter created by Mac OSX in the main folder and the subfolders too. The solution I've found is CleanMyDrive 2, it erases all the litter when the drive is ejected.

For example - the following screen grab shows OSX litter amounting to a whopping 3.2 GB on a 128GB card used with my GC. All the junk is cleared on ejecting the drive.

cmd2.png

Edit:

Ok most of that 3.2 GB is what I deleted and is lying in the 'Trash', on ejection those files are removed along with the '.trashes' folder containing the said files by utilising the mentioned utility. The '.trashes' folder is located on the SD card and remains if the 'Trash' isn't manually cleared before ejection under normal circumstances.

Point being that the utility takes care of it either way.

Normally the junk is in KB's.

cmd21.png

Last edited:
...Anyway, now I'm intrigued so I'll see if I can find a way to reproduce the issue...
If I were a MAC person I would have tried that myself.

A number of the comments were made by respected folks here so I gave/give them more weight than I normally would.

this would have a lot to do with it, I'm sure not everyone bothers

Hah, I did mention user error didn't I. It never occurred to me that some people might not think to empty the trash after deleting files but, of course!

If I were a MAC person I would have tried that myself.

A number of the comments were made by respected folks here so I gave/give them more weight than I normally would.

Actually, the brand is really best referred to as Mac rather than MAC. MAC is the common reference to MAC address, so at least on this platform there is a distinction.

Actually, the brand is really best referred to as Mac rather than MAC. MAC is the common reference to MAC address, so at least on this platform there is a distinction.
Yep, aware of that. Currently on my laptop with the small keyboard, hit the 'caps lock' key instead of 'shift' and too lazy to go back and correct. :(

Yep, aware of that. Currently on my laptop with the small keyboard, hit the 'caps lock' key instead of 'shift' and too lazy to go back and correct. :(

Curious how you could repeatedly "hit the 'caps lock' key instead of 'shift' and too lazy to go back" resulted only with the word MAC being in all caps and not the rest of the sentence. But, OK, you are forgiven. :)

Last edited:
yeah I'm sure it's bad habits that is the underlying cause

It makes me think of a few friends who always call me in a panic when they have problems with their computers and after I talk them through their issue they ignore the advice I give them until the next time they're in trouble.

I almost murdered one of my "friends" one time. After a long tedious phone call where I talked him through a problem with his modem configuration and internet connection on his laptop he said everything was now completely dead. I ended up driving 10 miles on icy roads only to discover that he hadn't plugged the Ethernet cable in all the way. :mad:

Talking about Ios devises, i actually made a phone call on a fruit phone a few weeks ago :eek: i hope 2 exposures to those damn things within a few months are not a sign of things to come.

I sure as hell dont have the 1000 dollars the next fruit phone will cost, okay maybe 800 for the cheap one :rolleyes:

Updated some bits about Samsung V-NAND. This 10,000 character limitation for posts is maddening.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's the same series I linked to, right? It doesn't appear to be a new product line. And basic error correction (which most cards have) is not necessarily the same thing as specifically ECC. If they had it, it would be a major failure of their marketing department to not disclose that specifically. Though they have a losing track record already, because they don't include that it's MLC in the specs! :D

I'm pretty sure that's the same series I linked to, right? It doesn't appear to be a new product line. And basic error correction (which most cards have) is not necessarily the same thing as specifically ECC. If they had it, it would be a major failure of their marketing department to not disclose that specifically. Though they have a losing track record already, because they don't include that it's MLC in the specs! :D

Actually it is a new product line. It seems to be one level up from the Premier Pro line quoted in your initial post. It is the XPG line.

I will definitely agree with you....there are no hard specifications listed indicating MLC or ECC directly in the specification link http://www.adata.com/en/sd/specification/369. <-Not to be confused with 368 the Premier Pro line specs.

The only real difference I can see between the Premier Pro and the XPG line is the extra text line in the marketing description about error correction that it does not include in the description of the Premier Pro line.

"Durable and reliable for long term enjoyment
XPG microSDXC/SDHC UHS-I U3 memory cards maintain the uncompromising ADATA commitment to quality and longevity. They feature error correction to enhance data integrity, while offering stringent water, shock, X-ray, static, and extreme temperature proofing. Combined with the use of high-grade MLC Flash, these ensure consistently reliable performance and extended durability for a long product lifespan, so you can continue enjoying special moments with peace of mind."

I should not have suggested ECC specifically....but it does mention error connection. So I guess I took a leap from there.

I found it interesting anyway. I see some other members in posts previous had purchased Adata. I am curious if anyone can comment on to their personal experience so far with them in Dashcams.

For the record, I have not purchased anything yet for a MicroSD card....definitely not trying to be cheap. Still waiting for my VIOFO A119S to arrive from Amazon. Purchased something else until I read this thread for a MicroSD card but promptly returned before opening when I stumbled across this thread.

Thank you very much for starting it Deacon. I will go and like your first post now.

I would rather pay for a quality memory that will last than one that won't.

ADATA's lifetime warranty would likely be more of hassle than its worth like most warranties when you actually need to use them. But it does have a warranty when used with Dashcams as opposed to the Transcend which does not for dashcam use.

But in the real world experience matters, but your mileage may always vary.

Back