DR-650S 2CH Restarting

This reboot issue happened to me twice. I just got my dashcam last week. I ordered it with the 16GB card and bought one of these from Amazon: Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 300x 64GB UHS-I/U1 LSDMI64GB1NL300A. I am still getting familiar with the dashcam so I was thinking maybe I pinched a wire or something during the install or maybe I have a bad device in the front or the back.

I have not looked at the logs yet but I guess if I see the same "caught SIGSEGV -> Reboot" error then it means it's the SD card? I really don't want to have to spend money on a BlackVue branded card because they are so pricey compared to others.

@mannyfresh2500, for sure check the logs but if you are using recommended SD cards, I would recommend to perform FULL (not a quick) format on PC [FAT32], it has decreased the frequency of reboot for me while I wasn't using recommended SD card anyway. Also check if you are using latest FW. Also as LAST option try to disconnect rear camera if the reboots will stop (it will decrease the amount of data being saved, it might not automatically indicate that rear camera is faulty).

I had already done a full format of the card to FAT32 using "SDFormatter" in my Windows 10 machine, as it came preformatted in some other format (exFAT or something?). Then I held the wifi button on the dashcam to let it do its own formatting. My firmware is at 1.003. I don't know if I need to disconnect the rear camera anymore because it is becoming more apparent that my issue is the card.

I now experienced two instances of "check SD card" errors but I haven't noticed any more restarts yet. I have only driven my vehicle short distances and the problems are not consistent so I would not be surprised to hear more restart messages.

Today I contacted Blackvue about the SD card options and they suggested to read this forum post https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/recommended-sd-cards-avoid-sandisk-ultra-cards. I thought I had a recommended card but mine is the 300X model of the Lexar. I thought I had the 633X until I took a second look at it. I really want to rule out being an issue with the SD card so that I don't have to spend money on another card, but the error clearly says problem with the SD card. That in combination with the random restarts during normal recording I think give me no choice but to get a new card. I guess I can always put that card to use in another device.

I wanted to get a Blackvue branded card but their site only allows expedited shipping which is $26 to my location in Maryland. That plus the $49 for the 64GB card itself is a bit insane considering their card only has 1 year warranty. I found a third-party vendor that sells the Blackvue OEM cards for the same price as Blackvue but they offer free shipping. However, on their site they say the manufacturer (Blackvue) only warrants the card for 90 days, which does not even agree with what Blackvue lists on their own site (probably refurbs?). I may end up buying the 633X Lexar that is listed as the top pic on the forum post that the Blackvue rep linked. It is half the price on Amazon at this time, free shipping, and has lifetime warranty. I even saw the 128GB version with a price lower than the 64GB Blackvue!

Here is exactly what Blackvue said when I contacted them about using third-party micro SD cards:

*The main requirement (aside from the card being Class 10 or U1 ) is that the SD card must be formatted as FAT 32 [windows] or MS-DOS (FAT) [mac]. We highly recommend using BlackVue SD cards for optimal performance. The reason is that dashcams put SD cards under higher stress than most electronic products such as action cameras or DSLRs due to their constant recording. We test our cards extensively before selecting them for inclusion in our products, to make sure that their performance is good and degrades as little as possible over time. We cannot guarantee the perfect performance of cards from other manufacturers, as even cards with same specifications may vary from batch to batch. Especially the SanDisk SD cards, which show more restarting and stability issues in BlackVue dashcams.

In case, you can’t get a BlackVue SD cards then please check out following article about SD card recommendations for dashcams posted by a dashcam reviewer:

https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/recommended-sd-cards-avoid-sandisk-ultra-cards

*Please note that we can’t guarantee best performance of any other third party SD cards than original BlackVue SD cards in the dashcams.

Sincerely
BlackVue Support Team

I will report back once I have replaced the card and tested for this restarting problem.

UPDATE: I just noticed there is a newer firmware available, but it only says it added Dutch language.
http://www.blackvue.com/downloads/#1460710341510-e242903f-5343

Last edited:
I just ordered a 128GB Lexar 633x which I should have by tomorrow. Amazon had it for $42.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I would be very wary of buying cards off Ebay or Amazon 2nd tier sellers Far too many fakes going around and a 128g for that price looks a bit sus

I would be very wary of buying cards off Ebay or Amazon 2nd tier sellers Far too many fakes going around and a 128g for that price looks a bit sus
What's the best way to test for a fake? I'll be testing it on my PC once I get it before I use it in the dash cam.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

$42 is below the current factory cost, 6 months ago it would have been possible, maybe someone had old stock

I installed the new SD card (128GB Lexar 633x from Amazon) and the system appears to be working fine. I have only driven around for a few minutes but I have not gotten any errors, so far.

I did have one problem that I was able to work around. After formatting the card using SD Formatter and then the Blackvue program in Windows I inserted the card into the dash cam and as expected it started to initialize the card. However, it did this for several minutes, then started initializing the card over and over again. I gave it about 10 more minutes because maybe it being a larger capacity card it takes longer but no. On the 64GB card this had only taken less than a minute. I ended up powering off the dash cam and removing the card. I formatted it again using SD Formatter and then the Blackvue program. Since I already had a properly initialized 64GB card from before I simply copied its contents to the 128GB card.

After putting the bigger card back into the dash cam it started up fine, bypassing the initialization process. My guess is that process consists of copying the folder structure to the card including config file and such. If those files are already there it just starts using that card.

I have not had any issues since but I have not done enough testing yet. In about a week if there are no issues then I'm good.

I put a 64gig Sandisk (Ultra microSDXC UHS-I, 80mb/sec) into mine (DR650S-2CH), and it was fine initially but now restarts VERY regularly at about 30 mins.

I actually think it has something todo with when the camera needs to clear up space on the card...

Hi Tephra

The camera doesn't "clear up space" on the card, it overwrites the oldest files. These dashcams don't like Sandisk Ultra cards - read the post about avoiding them (6 Jan (on this page)). Try one of the High Endurance cards, or better still a BV card.

Good luck

John

You can use different capacity memory card of BV. Any other brand cards will not work. Yes it is quit annoying but I guess it is on security purpose.

This would be totally incorrect as I have 4 Blackvue cameras and none of them are running BV cards All are running perfectly

Also despite the post about Sandisks not working I have 2 running on Sandisk cards quite happily The others are running on Samsung cards

I installed the new SD card (128GB Lexar 633x from Amazon) and the system appears to be working fine. I have only driven around for a few minutes but I have not gotten any errors, so far.

I did have one problem that I was able to work around. After formatting the card using SD Formatter and then the Blackvue program in Windows I inserted the card into the dash cam and as expected it started to initialize the card. However, it did this for several minutes, then started initializing the card over and over again. I gave it about 10 more minutes because maybe it being a larger capacity card it takes longer but no. On the 64GB card this had only taken less than a minute. I ended up powering off the dash cam and removing the card. I formatted it again using SD Formatter and then the Blackvue program. Since I already had a properly initialized 64GB card from before I simply copied its contents to the 128GB card.

After putting the bigger card back into the dash cam it started up fine, bypassing the initialization process. My guess is that process consists of copying the folder structure to the card including config file and such. If those files are already there it just starts using that card.

I have not had any issues since but I have not done enough testing yet. In about a week if there are no issues then I'm good.

My last post in this thread might be worth a shot.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=21730&share_fid=65060&share_type=t

I've just recently purchased and installed a Lexar 633x 64GB microSD card and now getting the intermittent reboots. This dash camera is seriously getting very frustrating and I wished I did not decide on purchasing the Blackvue, telling people that they should just use the exorbitantly priced Blackvue microSD cards is disrespecting the customers ability to make a choice. The dash camera firmware or chip set have obviously need to be fixed to support a wider range of memory cards.

Can someone please tell me what does SIGSEGV actually even mean in the logs?

caught SIGSEGV -> Reboot

SIGSEGV means Segmentation fault - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault ...btw, do yo have the latest firmware 1.005 for 650S ?

Yes I do have the latest firmware installed.
I'm getting a ridiculous explanation from the Australian importer that due to high-temperatures the Lexar 633x slows down therefore is not able to keep up with the 1080P video written to the card.

Yes I do have the latest firmware installed.
I'm getting a ridiculous explanation from the Australian importer that due to high-temperatures the Lexar 633x slows down therefore is not able to keep up with the 1080P video written to the card.

the Blackvue data rate is not that high, I suspect the issue has more to do with a recent decline in the quality of Lexar memory cards, previously they were quite good, not a card I'd recommend any more though

Back