Accident with blinding sunlight condition that my wife recorded

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Accident my wife witnessed while driving on Steeles past Markham road in Scarborough approaching Ninth line just before the bridge on the Rouge River. Late afternoon sunlight on melting snow making visibility difficult. My wife (I was not with her) was driving Eastbound when the accident occurred. When she drove Westbound before that, she claims she had problems seeing.

The back dash cam got dismounted fell off the rear ceiling half an hour before the accident.

Notice: my wife did not stop and provide details to the parties in. She had no place to stop and due to the light conditions, I would not want her walking in that traffic. An effort will be made to contact the collision centre.

Last edited:
There's 2 spots on the road I take most mornings where the sun catches people out like that. I've seen many near-crashes but so far everyone has been lucky (or ready for it like me) . You'd think that after 18 years or more of seeing how bright the sun gets every day, the folks driving would learn how to handle it but they don't :( And kudos to your wife for maintaining a better following distance than anyone else in that clip ;)

Phil

Black car, 2 ahead - why are they riding the centre line like that?
Why did the car that was hit suddenly decelerate? Was that an attempt at crash for cash? knowing that the bright sun is in their eyes, will the driver behind be so blinded by the sun that they won't spot the stopped car until it's too late?
Of course, there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation but it just seems strange that it all happens right at this spot - uphill so directly into the sun...

CR-V at it again o_O

I am "active" looking for one of those, the driver promised me a beating but i was not able to accept that challenge on the day it happened as i was "packing"
And i am not going to jail for defending myself though i was not planning on using my hardware to do that, but some might see it when things go down.

I have his license plate number in my car, and when driving in town i al looking for a silver grey CR-V :mad:

Another Honda CR-V at it again o_O

Yah, that was mentioned in another accident ... not that far from there. Where an CRV crashed into a stopped police cruiser last year

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ed-cruiser-york-region-ont.19095/#post-251531

There's 2 spots on the road I take most mornings where the sun catches people out like that. I've seen many near-crashes but so far everyone has been lucky (or ready for it like me) . You'd think that after 18 years or more of seeing how bright the sun gets every day, the folks driving would learn how to handle it but they don't :( And kudos to your wife for maintaining a better following distance than anyone else in that clip ;)

I wear these sun glasses that cover my regular glasses. I started using that style of sun glasses for boating as the frames to the side is wide and prevents side glare. I need sunglasses even its a little overcast. My wife, whose prescription glasses darken in bright conditions, found hers was NOT enough for her yesterday. Even with the tough conditions, she was passed not far from there on a bit of road that normally has solid yellow lines. Normally she drives close to drivers in front and is critical of my driving when I leave lots of room in front. I think she may have been watching the unfolding events in the mirrors.

You will notice the driver in the second vehicle when he gets out, is not wearing sun glasses.

Black car, 2 ahead - why are they riding the centre line like that?
Why did the car that was hit suddenly decelerate? Was that an attempt at crash for cash? knowing that the bright sun is in their eyes, will the driver behind be so blinded by the sun that they won't spot the stopped car until it's too late?
Of course, there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation but it just seems strange that it all happens right at this spot - uphill so directly into the sun...

I think car two ahead of my wife ahead was considering passing, after the accident he is tailgating. Not a good place to drive aggressively as there is a national park and farmland close to there and lots of wooded areas. Numerous deer, coyote, foxes, raccoons AND SKUNKS!!.

It can NOT be seen in youtube due to the quality loss with the upload, but the driver in the first car was lowering his visor. That is apparent in the video before its uploaded. Its possible he was blinded, slowed down a fair bit and lowered his visor. You will notice the car behind him at the same time was accelerating. I don't think it was crash for cash as the car drove some distance before he realized he got hit. Apparently driving with a dragging bumper. How one was does not noticed he did not get hit or has a dragging bumper is beyond me.

At one time, the first car was keeping up to the car in front of him, but slows down to lower the visor. That the 11 second mark. The collision happens at 16 seconds. There was enough to for the car to react, but either he too was blinded or was distracted. The SUV which was in front in the collision had his lower fog lights on, if that is what you call them but not his full head light system so its possible the car behind may not have seen the lights. But if the first car was braking, he the second suv should have seen something if he was looking ahead. Not of the vehicles behind in the second SUV in the collision got involved in the accident

Nice use of foglights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yehudi_lights

I have to say there have been times I couldn't see due to the sun, and was in two minds about whether to continue/slow/stop. But never in such simple circumstances.

Back