Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Great idea and thank you for the pictures. How did you attach the mount securely to the roof? Thanks.
There is some space between lining (at the edge) and windshield. I used super-duper 3M double sided tape to stick my custom mound to the windshield.

But since then I modified my setup. I added plastic holder that came with Mobius and used the same 3M double sided tape to stick that plastic holder to the metal plate. I reversed that plastic holder and cut half circle in the holder so Mobius can fit into the holder completely. So now, if I need to update firmware I just slide Mobius out from plastic holder. It is more sturdy this way than Velcro from original setup.

I attached three new pictures.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 141
It is nice to be able to take the whole camera with you, and not having to fiddle with the small memory cards in the car.

It is nice to be able to take the whole camera with you, and not having to fiddle with the small memory cards in the car.
That's how I lost 64GB card in my wife's minivan one time. It just jumped out of the Mobius when I was trying to get it out. I never found it.

2016 Ford Escape. Camera is just below the mirror, GPS is on the upper left of the windshield shaded area.

View from driver side:
IMG_3855_2048w.jpg

View from the passenger side:
IMG_3854_2048w.jpg

Bonus Cellink Battery B in the passenger footwell:
IMG_3853_2048w.jpg

Here is the A119 in my 2017 Ford Escape. I ended up cutting part of the plastic housing that covers the various sensors not present in my model. I'm going to move the camera up about 1/4" closer to the opening just leaving enough room to remove the A119 from the GPS module if needed. Overall I'm pleased with this location. It's centered and with the large dot pattern there wasn't a lot of good options off to the side.

IMG_6115.jpg IMG_6117.jpg IMG_6112.jpg

@klemsaba
I have Ford Focus III. I think same position for cam. It seems very nice and clear. But you lucky for locating camera wires.

A119S mounted in the rear.

FPV tilt mount modified and attached to the included A119S mount using 3M VHB. The Mobius 1 can be seen utilising the exact same mount without the modification.

a119srear-003-png.29154

Attaching a couple of stacked neodymium magnets to the included angled mount worked too but even with the A119S's lens clicked into the lowest slot, I was not getting the desired angle (too much sky).

a119srear-001-png.29152

A119S mounted next to my Mobius 1.

a119srear-004-png.29155

a119srear-005-png.29156

a119srear-006-png.29157

Inside.

a119srear-008-png.29159

a119srear-010-png.29161

With the hatch down.

a119srear-011-png.29162

a119srear-012-png.29163

a119srear-013-png.29164

Last edited:
G1W-C Adhesive Mount.jpg
G1W-C.jpg
G1W-C Windshield Mount.jpg
G1W-C Mount.jpg
Spy Tec G1W-C for my 2005 Suzuki Forenza sedan.

I wasn't a fan of the suction cup mount, so I bought an adhesive mount from a Los Angeles based seller at Ebay. For some reason, the suction cup mount kept unsticking when the windshield got cold.

The headliner was a little loose, so I used it to hide the power cable on the top portion of the windshield. On the side vinyl panel, I used 3M adhesive cable clips (which I also bought at Ebay) (Home Depot & Oreilly Auto Parts don't carry them).

The dash mat helps cover part of the power cable. So it wont get caught when the glove box is opened, I aligned it with the climate control panel using cable tape.

Would be great if I could hardwire it, but I rather not. I'm scared of messing up the fuse system.

Reactions: Kip
Here is the A119 in my 2017 Ford Escape. I ended up cutting part of the plastic housing that covers the various sensors not present in my model. I'm going to move the camera up about 1/4" closer to the opening just leaving enough room to remove the A119 from the GPS module if needed. Overall I'm pleased with this location. It's centered and with the large dot pattern there wasn't a lot of good options off to the side.

View attachment 29113 View attachment 29114 View attachment 29115
Would you mind posting an image from the camera itself? I'm looking for a good spot to put my A119 in my 2017 Acadia, and I think I'll also have to mount it low like you did. Curious how that will impact the image.

Would you mind posting an image from the camera itself? I'm looking for a good spot to put my A119 in my 2017 Acadia, and I think I'll also have to mount it low like you did. Curious how that will impact the image.

Here's a shot...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 5.53.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 5.53.22 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
@klemsaba

how did you cut sensor cover?

I used my compound miter saw with the normal wood blade. Went really slow and it cut the plastic smooth. Before I started I did price a replacement piece just in case I messed up. It was only $10 so I went for it.

Here is my setup:
  1. Spytec A119 (chose this over the Viofo because it doesn't have a brand logo on the front. The GPS mount also moves your USB connection to the top which is nice.
  2. CPL lens filter.
  3. Lexar 64GB High Endurance Card.
  4. SimpleUSB 12v to USB adapter to tap into my OnStar mirror wiring.
  5. MiniUSB 90 degree adapter. I accidentally purchased the Left angle version, but it still works. I recommend the Right angle version.
Initially, I mounted the camera just to the left of my rearview mirror, right up against the headliner. But, as you'll see in the photo below, the image was either off-center because of the curvature of the windshield or partially blocked by my 2017 GMC Acadia's mirror.

Just to the left of my mirror = blocked view: blocked_view.png

Further to the left = off-centered: off_center.png

I then decided to mount the camera in the center of my windshield, under the rear view mirror cover. I was worried that the location would block my field of view, but it's barely noticeable. I also like that I have better access to the controls. It may not be "stealth", but if I'm worried about theft, I can simply remove the camera from its GPS mount and secure it somewhere else.

Field of vision without the camera: nocamera.png

Field of vision with the camera mounted: withcamera.png

install1.png install2.png install3.png

Finally, here is how I tapped into the mirror for power: (Black to black, red to purple.)
install4.png install5.png install7.png

Hopefully, this post will serve to be useful to someone.

I hit the limit for attached files in my last post, so here is the field of view from my current setup. The fence is actually on an angle to my vehicle, so it looks crooked, but the image is pretty square:
fieldofview.png

Update: I just replaced the main unit of the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH IR with a DR650S.

The little red car, lit up like a X-mas tree.

Starting on the far left is my phone running a app to report speed traps, it is mounted off the glass in the driver side door ( using modified Samsung Galaxie 2 dock and a universal Brodit dock for my phone charging via USB - C )
Then on top of the dashbord is my 7" tablet thats running the wifi live view of a camera in the windscreen. ( normally used for NAV )
Below is the 7" screen of my 2 DIN headunit, playing Hendrix off a SD card, i have been planning on adding a reversing camera as the headunit support that, but i never gotten around to buying the camera.

In the windscreen from the left is the SJ6 Legend steaming to the tablet, and behind the mirror is the SG9665GC and the SG9665XS it totally obscured by my mirror.
11054200.JPG

Off course i dont have the SJ6 Legend in the car normally, just put it there as i had a surplus mount there and needed something to go on the tablet screen.
I really like this setup, there is a lot going on but i have a totally clean and uninterrupted view out of my windscreen.
The phone is off course hands free, it should go via the headunit but bluetooth in that is broken so i will have to get me one of those bluetooth thingies as only noobs use handheld phone while driving.

Atm i will just have to pull over if my phone ring while driving, but normally that dont happen as i get very few calls every week :cool:

Last edited:
Back