Looking for Dashcam that mounts on the "dash" not window

krelvin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, VIOFO A119 V2
Seems strange that most dashcams mount on the window, not actually on the dash.

I need one that I can mount on the dash of my truck so that I can pull it out when I am not in the vehicle. This is due to two main factors, Heat and Theft.

A have a GPS which mounts on the dash just fine. When I drive, I put it on, when I leave I take it off. Simple.

The truck (F250) has a nice big dash for me to mount this. It is also a lot easier to get it power has I have a power plug coming up from the top of the dash to plug into instead of using a cigarette plug on the front of the dash.

A lot of dashcams look like they would work, but then have no mirror image (or rotate image) so the images come out correct without playing with the video.

Any decent suggestions?

Seems strange that most dashcams mount on the window, not actually on the dash.

someone called them dashcams and the name stuck, sticking one to your dash is possible but in the majority of vehicles not practical at all, in your vehicle quite a lot of what you want to see would be obscured by the hood of your truck

a Mobius 1 is easily setup on the dash to use as you want, as mentioned though a lot of the view will be obscured so it's a less than ideal place to put it

Some dash cameras have a setting that allows one to flip the video vertically. Mobius is one of them and as @jokiin mentions this allows the camera to be easily mounted on the dashboard. Some people have done this with excellent results. (depends a bit on the particular vehicle)

dashboard_mobius.jpg

Last edited:
Attach it to the passenger side visor. If the passenger complains about sunlight in their eyes, advise them to wear sunglasses :)
That's certainly one way of mitigating the problem, although I doubt the wife would agree if I tried. Hmm... maybe the solution to that is to have no wife........

Damn it, too late. No visor mount for me then. :(

I would think.. on the dash would continuously require re aiming and you would find that a nuisance. Also, only a bean bag is likely to stay put on your dash.. suction cups don't do well on the plastic of a dash. A bean bag would likely be more susceptible to vibration which while not a problem with a GPS on the camera it is.

Thanks for the info.

My GPS is mounted on the dash with a suction cup which is on an adhesive disk mounted on the dash of the truck. Visibility is not an issue. I would do the same for the dashcam.

I only drive the truck 1-2 days a week so when not using it, it would be securely stored like I already do with my GPS.

The truck has a higher profile than a sedan, so seeing the road is also not an issue even when mounted on the dash.

The Mobius looks like a nice small camera that might meet my needs.

A119 mounted on a garmin Friction In my work vehicle Honda Odysse lying down, Where I can not mount anything. In my truck Honda Ridgeline Its plenty high not to mis much of what I want to see.Its easy to turn in case there is something on the side of the road you want a picture of

in my work vehicle.png download.png

I am actually looking at that camera.

A119 mounted on a garmin Friction In my work vehicle Honda Odysse lying down, Where I can not mount anything. In my truck Honda Ridgeline Its plenty high not to mis much of what I want to see.Its easy to turn in case there is something on the side of the road you want a picture of
Doesn't this make the image upside down? I was looking at this and I didn't see a flip video option though it had been talked about in previous threads about a possible firmware upgrade.

I Yes so far it makes the image upside down. when I first saw it, I got so mad i was going to return the cam. I got autorisation from Amazon I then realized I would be out the SD card which I had bought at Walmart for around $50 Canadian I fired an email to Viofo in China. They are working on the bug. The latest: a few days ago, they have fixed it, now they have to release the firmware which may take a few days. In the meantime I use a mirror to play with the settings.

I Yes so far it makes the image upside down. when I first saw it, I got so mad i was going to return the cam. I got autorisation from Amazon I then realized I would be out the SD card which I had bought at Walmart for around $50 Canadian I fired an email to Viofo in China. They are working on the bug. The latest: a few days ago, they have fixed it, now they have to release the firmware which may take a few days. In the meantime I use a mirror to play with the settings.
They released the firmware today. Fixes the image rotation bug. This is for the A119 only.
http://www.viofo.com/download/firmware/A119/VIOFO_A119_FW_V2.02.zip

I obtained a Mobius this morning. Amazing how small it is even after you have looked at pictures of one. Still playing with it.

Plan on using a suction cup mount on a disc on the physical dashboard top (not on window) next to my GPS which is mounted the same way. This way I can remove both easily when I stop and park.

The Super Capacitor won't be here until Wed, so I am not even going to bother mounting it yet, just play around with it. Got it with a Lexar High-Endurance 64GB memory card.

Mucho thanks to those who responded to my OP.

I obtained a Mobius this morning. Amazing how small it is even after you have looked at pictures of one. Still playing with it.

Plan on using a suction cup mount on a disc on the physical dashboard top (not on window) next to my GPS which is mounted the same way. This way I can remove both easily when I stop and park.

The Super Capacitor won't be here until Wed, so I am not even going to bother mounting it yet, just play around with it. Got it with a Lexar High-Endurance 64GB memory card.

Mucho thanks to those who responded to my OP.
i use a $400 thinkware F770 in my personal vehicle, but still use a mobius in my work truck. I love it still even after all these years. I made a magnet mount to make removing it a lot easier. Honestly its because I'm lazy, dont judge! ;)

I did a video on it awhile ago, but the suction cup mount I used is really expensive, basically a rip off but its better than any others. There are the cheaper ones but they fall off easier especially in high heat.

What I think is a much better option than what I showed in that video tho is buying this, to have a permanent mounting base:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321407566781
and then using a magnet from a hardware store like in the video. You could also just buy some cheap metal piece and bend it and use some adhesive, to make one even cheaper than the one on that ebay auction.

But again, I am just really lazy and hated screwing the mobius onto the tripod screw, but i also hated leaving the "jacket" on the mount hanging on my windshield. I am probably pickier than most people tho.

Back