Beat Non-Hardwired Setup Solution?

Jake Long

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have decided to buy an A119S, it is foolish to drive in NYC without one of these. My mother and I share a new 2017 RAV4 SE. I understand there are two car charger ports in the center console and one in the rear. My mother refuses to hardware the camera in fear of electric trouble when tapping into the fuse box. I tried reasoning with her but that's a dead end.

Can anyone provide some insight on their clean setup or substitute for hardwiring. I'd prefer a dangling wire to the cigarette port as a last resort but I understand this may be the only feasible setup.

Thanks!

You can try using the charging ports, but there are many reports that they will not work with certain cams, sometimes causing the cams to give corrupt files or lose it's settings. Check the card and view the files even if everything seems OK just to be certain it really is ;) Even if you end up using the cigarette lighter power, you can route the cables out of the way where they won't be seen. If the supplied ones aren't long enough sometimes an extension cable will work or you can get a better PS and longer USB cable. Don't scrimp on the cables; cheap ones may not work or can degrade rapidly and fail. Monoprice cables are often recommended, and Anker or Aukey make several good PS's. You need a minimum of 1.5A output on the PS, more won't hurt as the cam will draw only what it needs.

Phil

Back