A119 Firmware

I really cannot remember what is the format of my 128GB memory card when I am using the dashcam from day 1.

If this procedure (skip the SD card reformatting), this will make my life more easier.

So, what you are saying is after I copied the .bin file to the root of the card, I just turn the "power button" on and let it run the firmware.

After it is completed, I just RESET THE DASHCAM TO DEFAULT.

After this, I can customize the setting that I desired.

As Curtis54 mentioned, I do not need to re-format my card again.

No need to reformat in the PC, linked it as this allows formatting cards greater than 32GB if ever needed.

Our discussions here should be bookmarked so that people know how to do the latest firmware. :)

the idea here is :

- if your SD card is already formatted AND it has been used with success by your dashcam ( video files written, no bugs ) then there is no need to reformat your sd card,

- if your SD card is not formatted ( or if you have never used this SD card with your dashcam ) then you can format your sd card with your dashcam ( menu "format" ),

here is my procedure for flashing the firmware :

- plug your dahscam to an USB port of your PC
- your PC will see your dashcam as an external disk drive
- put in the root of your sd card the firmware file
- unplug the dashcam ( by clicking the icon "remove the USB device safely", and after unplug the usb cable )
- your dashcam will be shutdown
- plug the dashcam in mains with a USB phone charger ( 5 volts, 1A ) or replug the dashcam to your PC
- the firmware procedure will start automatically, the "rec button" will blink
- when all is Ok you will see a message on the screen which tells you that the firmware update has been successfully made
- restart your dashcam and reset to the default values ( there is an option in the menu for that )

the idea here is :

- if your SD card is already formatted AND it has been used with success by your dashcam ( video files written, no bugs ) then there is no need to reformat your sd card,

- if your SD card is not formatted ( or if you have never used this SD card with your dashcam ) then you can format your sd card with your dashcam ( menu "format" ),

here is my procedure for flashing the firmware :

- plug your dahscam to an USB port of your PC
- your PC will see your dashcam as an external disk drive
- put in the root of your sd card the firmware file
- unplug the dashcam ( by clicking the icon "remove the USB device safely", and after unplug the usb cable )
- your dashcam will be shutdown
- plug the dashcam in mains with a USB phone charger ( 5 volts, 1A ) or replug the dashcam to your PC
- the firmware procedure will start automatically, the "rec button" will blink
- when all is Ok you will see a message on the screen which tells you that the firmware update has been successfully made
- restart your dashcam and reset to the default values ( there is an option in the menu for that )

GREAT!!!

I noticed the bitrate is now (firmware 2.02) variable, ranging from around 23mbps to 55mbps! Was it always like that? Here is a screenshot:

2cwrfqr.png

Last edited:
I noticed the bitrate is now (firmware 2.02) variable, ranging from around 23kbps to 55kbps! Was it always like that? Here is a screenshot:

2cwrfqr.png
yeah i saw that too, check the audio bitrate too its not a constant 96kbps it varies down a little bit and back up again

That's odd. I upgraded mine and the bitrate has stayed the same at nearly 24mbps, also my file sizes don't vary like those above, they're all around 520Mb.

What version firmware did your cameras have originally and what resolution are you using?

Don't forget to default your settings in the camera after updating.

Yes, I defaulted my settings, and reformatted the SD card after the firmware upgrade, and got those high bit rates.

Maximum (default 1440p) resolution, and my prior firmware was v2.00.

Last edited:
P.S. I was in a heavily wooded area with lots of trees, branches and foliage. It was not a typical urban street environment. Maybe that is why my bitrates were so high?

I noticed the bitrate is now (firmware 2.02) variable, ranging from around 23mbps to 55mbps! Was it always like that? Here is a screenshot:

2cwrfqr.png

I hope viofo will release soon a firmware v2.03 in order to correct this,

it's not a good idea to force the VBR mode ( variable bitrate ) and CRF ( constant rate factor ), 1.16 Gb is too huge, the drawback is that the SD card will be quickly full, and when we want to transfer the file to the PC with the USB port it will take more time,

I think a new option in the OSD menu for selecting between CBR and VBR mode would be interesting, the user should have the choice

I hope viofo will release soon a firmware v2.03 in order to correct this,

it's not a good idea to force the VBR mode ( variable bitrate ) and CRF ( constant rate factor ), 1.16 Gb is too huge, the drawback is that the SD card will be quickly full, and when we want to transfer the file to the PC with the USB port it will take more time,

I think a new option in the OSD menu for selecting between CBR and VBR mode would be interesting, the user should have the choice
That's assuming there is an issue. Again, I can't see it on mine and I'm running v2.02 at full res.

That's assuming there is an issue. Again, I can't see it on mine and I'm running v2.02 at full res.
i had defaulted my settings too after the update and was running v2.0 previously. transferring time over USB doesn't bother me ,but the large file sizes do in case someone gets home after an accident at night or the next day - and then finds that their footage has been overwritten. I'm all for higher bitrate but just not too high.

Can @viofo explain why this change has been made possibly please :)

After defaulting the settings what changes did you then make?

I'll double check tomorrow but the only changes I've made from default are the following:

WDR=On
GPS=On
Speed Unit=MPH
G Sensor=Low
GPS Info=Coordinates only

Everything else is default and the SD card I'm using is the Lexar High Endurance 64Gb.

I was wondering if theres a bug in the latest firmware with GPS?

I have a recently bought a119 with gps module which i use solely for better mounting position for the cable and ease of removing the camera when needed. I dont want GPS data embedded in the videos at all. I recently updated to firmware v2.02, reset all settings to default, and then went back and re-did my desired settings, including turning GPS OFF.

However it is ignoring this setting and recording speed and GPS data regardless.

I don't know if the GPS off option is meant to stop writing data, or just not displaying it on screen, as I don't have the GPS. You could just plug the power directly into the cam to depower the GPS.

I don't know if the GPS off option is meant to stop writing data, or just not displaying it on screen, as I don't have the GPS. You could just plug the power directly into the cam to depower the GPS.

on the other models it just disables the time sync but it still works and logs data

I have two of these, one was just bought, and was flaking out, would stop recording after about 5 seconds and lock up, wouldn't let me do menus and stuff.

Flashed with 2.02, seems to be working fine now, time will tell.

Back