A119 GPS vs non GPS mount

Dan N

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I've been using the a119 non GPS mount since the fall andot works great. Last week I got tboned and my car was a write off. I retrieved the cam but the mount stayed on the windshield. Just got my new car the other day and I contacted the manufacturer. Even though I said I had the non GPS mount they are sending me the GPS mount.

Can the GPS be turned off as I have no need for that function and is powered consumption increased vs the non GPS mount?

Thanks

Yes it can be turned off in the menu options. You can also just plug straight into the cam instead of the GPS mount. If there's no power to the mount, it won't send anything to the camera and will just function like a non-GPS mount at that point.

GPS functions work whether you plug into the GPS mount or the camera itself. You can turn off the screen display of the speed and location, but I believe the information will still be embedded in the file.

GPS functions work whether you plug into the GPS mount or the camera itself. You can turn off the screen display of the speed and location, but I believe the information will still be embedded in the file.
Ah, I did not realize that it would get power from the camera if it wasn't powered directly. I thought that I even tested it that way once. o_O

Why is that? My A119 and my A119S cameras will not work if the power is connected to the GPS mount, but both will work just fine when power is connected directly to the camera ... and both cameras still receives GPS data when connected this way. Why will the GPS mount transmit GPS data but not power to run the camera?

Why is that? My A119 and my A119S cameras will not work if the power is connected to the GPS mount, but both will work just fine when power is connected directly to the camera ... and both cameras still receives GPS data when connected this way. Why will the GPS mount transmit GPS data but not power to run the camera?
The GPS mount does run power to the camera. I think a lot people get the GPS mount specifically so they can power the camera through the mount and be able to easily remove the camera without unplugging the power cable. If your cameras are not getting power when power is plugged in via the GPS mount, then your having an issue. Check the pins on your mount to make sure they spring back when pressed. I believe we have discussed this in another thread no?

I believe we have discussed this in another thread no?

Yes I know, have read all that. Personally I'm suspicious there is something else at fault besides the pins as all 4 of them on both mounts "spring" okay, and also leave scratch marks inside the camera mount housing. What I'm curious about is how the pins can apparently transmit GPS data and not electrical power ... all of which makes me wonder further if the electrical disconnect is internal to the mount before the pins.:confused:

Yes I know, have read all that. Personally I'm suspicious there is something else at fault besides the pins as all 4 of them on both mounts "spring" okay, and also leave scratch marks inside the camera mount housing. What I'm curious about is how the pins can apparently transmit GPS data and not electrical power ... all of which makes me wonder further if the electrical disconnect is internal to the mount before the pins.:confused:
I'm not sure about the data and electric flow. I do know that some users who experienced the issue your describing fixed the issue by re-seating the ribbon cable inside the camera. Possible is wasn't seated properly or came loose during shipping. Also possible that the gps mount itself is defective. I will say that to have 2 cameras and 2 gps mounts with the same symptoms is mighty unlucky.

Thanks for the info guys. Might reach out to the company as I would rather not have any info embedded in the file.

Thanks for the info guys. Might reach out to the company as I would rather not have any info embedded in the file.
Another option might be to tape off (block) the connections on the back of the A119 so there is no contact with the GPS mount pins.

One of my reasons for using the GPS unit is for keeping accurate time. All of my prior dashcams without GPS had very inaccurate time. They were usually off by around 5 minutes every month!

Now, all my dashcams is sync within a few seconds of each other, my iPhone, computer, and everything else with accurate time.

Reactions: Kip
Back