Got into accident...file corrupt?!

does the atom info contain things like file size/length or total playback time? if so, that could explain it, since you never know how long any given file might be. shutdown could occur at any point during the file. but at first glance it does seem like writing the headers first might help avoid this sort of thing even from accidentally ejecting the memory card.

I know it can be done like when using TS file format and they are very easy to recover, little support for playback and editing options with the programs that are typically used here which is a down side

My A119 suddenly corrupted every last file. I noticed that when I take of the power, camera shuts of immediately. Also settings wasn't saved. I opened it and found one of the capacitor to be blown. It could be the same reason for the OP? I'm now waiting new cam, warranty replacement from @viofo and using old trusted A118

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bumping an old thread as this is exactly what's happening to me right now. I just purchased a brand new SD card thinking that was the problem, but the exact same thing is happening: no settings are saved, last video segment is always corrupt. I am not removing the SD card until the vehicle is turned off, and the camera turns off immediately. I've only had the dashcam for a few months and it's possible this has been going on for a while now. Is @viofo able to assist? I'm beyond the one-month return policy with Amazon...

I have updated the firmware to the latest version (2.0) thinking that may solve the issue. The firmware was successfully installed, but it did not fix the issue.

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread as this is exactly what's happening to me right now. I just purchased a brand new SD card thinking that was the problem, but the exact same thing is happening: no settings are saved, last video segment is always corrupt. I am not removing the SD card until the vehicle is turned off, and the camera turns off immediately. I've only had the dashcam for a few months and it's possible this has been going on for a while now. Is @viofo able to assist? I'm beyond the one-month return policy with Amazon...

I have updated the firmware to the latest version (2.0) thinking that may solve the issue. The firmware was successfully installed, but it did not fix the issue.

Yep, that's exactly the issue I had. The capacitor was blown causing the last file not to write correctly on shut down. I was sent a replacement and it works as it should.

Yep, that's exactly the issue I had. The capacitor was blown causing the last file not to write correctly on shut down. I was sent a replacement and it works as it should.
Good to hear. I just submitted a ticket to @viofo support so hopefully they are able to assist. Thank you for the reply!

I have just read this entire thread and found it very informative with the best bit being your last post.

Faulty capacitor!

In regards to your accident and insurance did you end up being covered?

Looking at purchasing A119 but now most concerned about this issue of last file corruption/not saving..has this now been resolved by any firmware updates or other methods since last above post from Viofo in February?

Well, it's a very rare and random occurrence. I've two A119 and I've seen one corrupt file, once. None since I hardwired both cameras.

Both cameras are pretty early units.

Thanks for your feedback on this question...

Unfortunatelly, I have the same problem. Also my camera doesn't save my settings. :(

Guys understanding it "seems" to happen a lot, this is a very small sample of use cases that have this issue. it seems the issue stems that the Super Capacitor has failed in some way and the unit will most like need to be replaced.

Just an update to my above post of 28th April...well I did purchase a A119S V2 a few months ago and in fairness it has worked flawlessly and has saved every file and never had a "last file" corruption....Hopefully it will keep working as it has for a few years....Very pleased with it..

Just an update to my above post of 28th April...well I did purchase a A119S V2 a few months ago and in fairness it has worked flawlessly and has saved every file and never had a "last file" corruption....Hopefully it will keep working as it has for a few years....Very pleased with it..
I guess most the failed save happened on gen 1? I am too just bought the A119 v2 today. Will be receiving today..

nothing is immune to random failed parts when made in volume. both my pre-production and regular v1 A119 cameras are working fine. the regular A119 even works fine thru the GPS mount.

For file corrupt, can send the file to us to repair.
Most of time, this can be recovered via playback the file in the camera.
But some files maybe can not be recovered in this way, we checked with novatek, they have special recover tool, it can repair the files recorded by Novatek cameras.

I have two V2 units, both less than two weeks old and both running V3.3 firmware. I am also finding the last file to be corrupt, more than once. I'm not sure if it is both cameras or only one. Fortunately I have not been involved in any incidents, so the files are not important, but it is not an encouraging sign for the future. One of the first things likely, following an accident, is to turn off the ignition and step out of the car to review damage etc.. It would be pretty hopeless if this exact action led to the most important file of the journey being corrupt. I don't know whether the GPS unit has any bearing on the issue. Both my cameras have the GPS unit, but only one is powered via the GPS while the other is powered directly to the camera.

Looks like it's time to do some testing.

EDIT : I just brought both cameras indoors and tested side by side with freshly formatted cards. One camera has parking mode enabled, the other not. On this occasion neither camera entered parking recording mode. I pulled the power twice on each camera and there were no corrupted files.

I have now enabled parking mode on both cameras and I'm leaving them running with the intention that they both enter parking mode for a while. I will see whether that makes any difference. Watch this space.

Well with both cameras set to use parking mode at 5 FPS and allowed to record multiple clips in parking mode there was not a single file corruption. The test included jostling the cameras to force a file protection event.

If it's nothing to do with parking mode then maybe it is something to do with powering via GPS. I'm not sure why that would be, but I'll test for that later.

Last edited:
Any extreme shock to dashcam while recording will corrupt that one file. Can replicate this by slamming on the breaks at slow speed < or > hold Dashcam in your hand with power connected and recording on, then quick motion as if to throw or shake will corrupt that file.
Simple repair method is to play back the damaged clip using the Dashcams internal viewer, this repairs the corruption and updates the file for download and viewing off the card.
view this video on how to use Dashcam playlist function fast-forward to 8:50 mark

Any extreme shock to dashcam while recording will corrupt that one file. Can replicate this by slamming on the breaks at slow speed < or > hold Dashcam in your hand with power connected and recording on, then quick motion as if to throw or shake will corrupt that file.
Simple repair method is to play back the damaged clip using the Dashcams internal viewer, this repairs the corruption and updates the file for download and viewing off the card.
view this video on how to use Dashcam playlist function fast-forward to 8:50 mark

i don't agree that any shock as you describe them will cause a corrupt file. i have one a119 on the back door of my rav4, and it triggers the g-sensor any time i close the door. and that has a lot of force because of the full size spare tire mounted on the back door. that a119 is actually a pre-production unit that's over a year and a half old.

i've also had to do full-abs panic stops from various speeds, and most times this doesn't even trigger the g-sensor in the front or rear a119, much less cause a corrupt file. running over some reflectors in the road (when there's lots of them to emphasize a freeway exit lane for example) will occasionally trigger the g-sensor on the front and/or rear cam, but that's about it. i have not had any corrupt files with these cameras. and i'm even powering my front a119 (v1, about a year old now) through the gps mount without issue!

this may have more to do with the memory card you use than anything else. some cards may be thinner or thicker than others, resulting in a tighter fit that's less likely to lose contact during impact and thus corrupt a file. i use samsung evo (orange/white) 64gb cards in both cams.

Back