How many dash cams are there in the USA?

Note: I have no way to verify this but the supplier claims to have sold 250,000 of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pilot-Automotive-Dash-Cam/42104314 to Walmart in 2014

Yes, that's the crappy camera I've seen offered at the local Walmart. Interestingly, I noticed that the retired Chief of Police from the largest town near where I live has one in his truck. The price on the linked web site is substantially lower than when I last saw it at Walmart around Christmas time.

yeah it's the pinnacle of crappiness, they seem to have sold a lot of them though according to the manufacturer, although I have no way to verify the figures given having dealt with other Walmart suppliers for different types of products over the years the numbers are certainly quite plausible

You will start to see many dashcams in USA after Apple will release a Full HD dashcam for $500. Samsung will start their version and then other people will discover great dashcams at half price. But the only reason I see no Apple dashcam on the market until now is because of visibility conflict: when you have an Apple product others must see it from the space and maybe some of people want a hidden dashcam.
An Apple must be great mounted in the middle of the windshield to make you feeling so proud you have it compared to other people which are hiding their dashcams because are so poor to afford an Apple dashcam. Then the Apple haters will put their Samsung dashcam with curved LCD in the middle of the windshield just to show how much they hate Apple.

enjoy,
Mtz
And no doubt the fruit company's dashcam will be white and will have a big apple on the front that flashes green when the camera is recording. :rolleyes:

And no doubt the fruit company's dashcam will be white and will have a big apple on the front that flashes green when the camera is recording. :rolleyes:

The flashes will be in morse code saying "steal me" repetitively so that's what the crooks will do :p

Phil

The flashes will be in morse code saying "steal me" repetitively so that's what the crooks will do :p

Phil
That would only work if crooks knew morse code. :p:D

All the Apple bashing aside, it might be interesting to see what a company with their design prowess might come up with if designing a dash camera. Everyone now walks around with smartphones and tablet computers that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer literally laughed at, calling the iPhone a gimmick and describing the iPad as something that nobody would have any use for. And people forget that some of Apple's most iconic products where black or dark gray.

Last edited:
(...) it might be interesting to see what a company with their design prowess might come up with if designing a dash camera.
The design will probably be the only interesting thing about it. :rolleyes:

That would only work if crooks knew morse code. :p:D
I still have some "connections on the street" and you'd be surprised at what the average druggie-thief knows about common items of value. They couldn't work a SatNav but they know which ones bring the most cash and they can tell you how much the different ones bring :eek: They know which ladie's purses to swipe even if they're empty and how to tell the real ones from the fakes. They would certainly 'spot' anything Apple and easy-to-get, flashing lights or not. Glad that they know nothing of dashcams yet; no black market for them here thank goodness ;) They generally won't grab anything with less street value than the cost of a rock.

Yeah, Apple does pretty good at staying with or ahead of the game, but they would be hard-pressed to develop a cam better than what we've got now, and even equalling the best ones wouldn't be an easy job. It would be only styling or their name that got any sold for them, but they do have some loyal followers so that might be enough. As slow as the US market is I doubt that we will see a dashcam from them for awhile yet. No great loss there :p

Phil

Its sort of the same here, though you will also see those idiots do monumental stupid "stuff"

One such guy turned up with a really really nice and expensive old Winchester rifle, after he had taken a angle grinder to the serial number.
Turning what could still have been a nice rifle to pass on as it was probably illegal / not necessary reported stolen into,,,,,, well garbage to a large degree.
In the old days you would "find" many a weapon here parachuted into Denmark during ww2, not stolen or anything just never turned in after the war.

M1911 Colts - Tompsons - sten guns - BAR, and stuff stolen from the Germans and what not, and that was just the old stuff, then came all the new stuff liberated from Danish and surrounding milliary depots, and there we talk stuff the man wouldn't even acknowledge is in circulation, though they some times was forced to when bikers start to use things like RPGs in their fight over the lucrative drug market.

Most countries have a parallel society build in, some even several levels deep, but everyday Joe have no clue.

Yeah, Apple does pretty good at staying with or ahead of the game, but they would be hard-pressed to develop a cam better than what we've got now, and even equalling the best ones wouldn't be an easy job. It would be only styling or their name that got any sold for them, but they do have some loyal followers so that might be enough. As slow as the US market is I doubt that we will see a dashcam from them for awhile yet. No great loss there :p

Phil
I don't see them creating a dashcam from the ground up. It would take them more time, effort and money than they're probably willing to put into it. My guess is that it'll be something similar to the Philips or the Asus Reco Classic dashcams but with the fruit company's livery and price.

We see all these brands that had never been in the dashcam market coming up with "their" models, while the brand that everybody would expect to have a dashcam by now still doesn't have one. I'm talking about Sony.

I don't see them creating a dashcam from the ground up. It would take them more time, effort and money than they're probably willing to put into it. My guess is that it'll be something similar to the Philips or the Asus Reco Classic dashcams but with the fruit company's livery and price.

We see all these brands that had never been in the dashcam market coming up with "their" models, while the brand that everybody would expect to have a dashcam by now still doesn't have one. I'm talking about Sony.

Apple doesn't have any history of slapping their name on someone else's crappy product. Never gonna happen. They're not likely to ever enter the dash cam market either because for the foreseeable future dash cams will be a fringe market that could never support the volumes and profit margins they go after. If dash cams ever start to become more mainstream, then we will see companies like Sony make an entry into the marketplace the same way they eventually entered the action camera marketplace when worldwide sales volumes reached a tipping point.

If Apple ever did decide to build a dash cam, no doubt it would be a high end one unique to the marketplace. I could see them leveraging their tiny iPhone, iPod camera and lens technology into something extremely stealthy that would also offer high performance. Even if it is not Apple who does that I think there is great potential for putting miniature lens high resolution cell phone camera technology into a very stealthy dash cam product.

Yeah if the fruit guys would do a dashcam i am sure they would build their own, now whats inside it night not be revolutionary as the fruit guys will quickly determine what people need and dont need.
And then people for some unknown reason would buy it in huge numbers, because if you can display a fruit logo on your windscreen you are a special person - better in any way and way more trendy than any other person around you.
Even that guy in the BMW in the other lane that have the same fruit product on his windscreen.

Total wild a*s guess, but I'd say 1-2.5 million based on the premise that <1% of the 250 million or so registered cars in the US have cams. That's generously assuming that 1 in 100 cars have a dashcam. Not that I actively look for them, but I've personally never seen another car with a dashcam in any US roads other than a couple of my friends and coworkers. Dual or more cammed cars are so rare that I would consider their numbers negligible to that total.

Does anyone know where I can find estimated numbers on how many dash cams are sold per year in the USA or how many dash cams there are?

There are exactly 762,324 thousand dash cams that have been sold in the US this year. Out of this number, to date... 324 have been sold on Amazon, 152 have been returned, 700,000 sold at big box stores have already quit working, 60 thousand working cams were purchased here and sent to Russia and 2000 are held by DCT or their family members.

Back