The list of shame fake 4K cameras and CMOS size

GoPro have a 12MP CMOS and is true 4K.
Campark xtreme have a 16MP and have fake 4K.
I am not a GoPro fan but I am sure the 12MP videos of GoPro are much much better than Campark xtreme 16MP. Campark xtreme can have even a 50MP CMOS because their videos will be not better than GoPro if using actual hardware. When comparing 12MP vs. 16MP other things are much more important like chipset, lens quality, firmware development. When comparing 1MP vs 16MP we can think to consider also the MP difference. What you will do it you will buy the Campark xtreme and their 16MP videos are blocky, poor quality but Campark xtreme is not offering any firmware update to fix the problem?
The Eken company is a big company and from them you can expect firmware development even it is not guaranteed. Until now the best firmware development until now I saw at GitUp company, followed by SJCam after they saw at GitUp how important is the firmware development and customers support.

For Full HD video everything over 2MP can add quality but is not guaranteed, so a 8MP camera can have better videos than a 16MP camera. For photos, the MP are important.

enjoy,
Mtz

I do agree with you MTZ .. do we have proper benchmarks yet for comparing cameras ? regardless of fake / badly compressed / resized "dimensions"
I do think we shall separate the word resolution from dimensions .. as an high quality 1080p video is ways much more sharper and "real" as a fake resized 4K is ..

Last edited:
Yeah we have seen the megapixel race in smartphone cameras for a while now, and the best phone cameras are not the +20 megapixel ones.

As men with lesser equipment say to girls, its not what you have, its how you put it to use :D

Do make me wonder when we will see the first dual lens dashcam.

What a fascinating thread. Though a shame it needs to exist at all.

From what, I can glean. I can trust Gitup, GoPro and to a certain extent SJCAM, after that, it's a minefield?

Thanks!

From what, I can glean. I can trust Gitup, GoPro and to a certain extent SJCAM, after that, it's a minefield?

Thanks!
Depends on what is meant by "interpolation" or whether it's an upscale. Interpolation on these cameras usually means stretching a 2.7K pixels horizontally to 3840 pixels but still 2160 lines resolution. A dashcam I bought 3 years ago was supposed to be 1080p but turned out they were upscaling from 1280x720p. Got a refund on that camera and got the real thing from another store.

My Naxa NDC-406 is harder to figure out. They state clearly on the box that their 4608x2592 JPEG 12 MP still is interpolated but not the 4K video. As far as I can tell Fry's seems to have an exclusive on this model as Amazon and no one else seems to have it. You can usually tell interpolation by examining a diagonal line in a frame though that's going to be a little hard with a fisheye lens. From what I did with a chart it looked more like their 2K was downscaled from the 4K. The footage is MJPEG and you can extract individual frames from the file for examination. What I saw there was a lower grade or quality setting of JPEG but still 4K. For now it provides some test footage I can use.

Yes I would like a better camera but it's early in the year and many manufacturers did deals at CES and other shows for models that will start shipping in the next few months. And the Naxa was inexpensive enough to consider trying to replace that fisheye lens with a flat one.

My Naxa NDC-406 is harder to figure out. They state clearly on the box that their 4608x2592 JPEG 12 MP still is interpolated but not the 4K video. As far as I can tell Fry's seems to have an exclusive on this model as Amazon and no one else seems to have it. .

it's a generic product based on the Sunplus chipset, same factory would be putting the same product out under other names as well

it's a generic product based on the Sunplus chipset, same factory would be putting the same product out under other names as well
Thanks. It's a little hard to sort out a rebranded camera with the plethora of action cameras available. That is without tearing the thing open. Unfortunately Sunplus doesn't provide any information on these chipsets unlike Ambarella which has sell sheets. I did find some similar cameras and the setup interface gave them away.

Chinese people have a problem with the word Bluetooth and they are using this name even they know that feature is RF and not bluetooth. Maybe in chinese language the bluetooth word is something similar to RF or they are calling bluetooth for any remote which is not Wi-Fi.
In my country we are calling Xerox any copy which is made by any printer which can scan and print a page. We are not saying „Please make me a copy of this page.”, but „Please make me a xerox copy.”

enjoy,
Mtz
Yes, seems so. Why use "Bluetooth" on a simple 2, 3, or 4 button remote? Like saying your TV remote is Bluetooth.
Here photocopies are refer "Xerox these please" from the old Xerox copiers while scan/print is scan and print but same idea.

Reactions: Mtz
I am not a GoPro fan but I am sure the 12MP videos of GoPro are much much better than Campark xtreme 16MP. Campark xtreme can have even a 50MP CMOS because their videos will be not better than GoPro if using actual hardware. When comparing 12MP vs. 16MP other things are much more important like chipset, lens quality, firmware development. When comparing 1MP vs 16MP we can think to consider also the MP difference. What you will do it you will buy the Campark xtreme and their 16MP videos are blocky, poor quality but Campark xtreme is not offering any firmware update to fix the problem?
The Eken company is a big company and from them you can expect firmware development even it is not guaranteed. Until now the best firmware development until now I saw at GitUp company, followed by SJCam after they saw at GitUp how important is the firmware development and customers support.

For Full HD video everything over 2MP can add quality but is not guaranteed, so a 8MP camera can have better videos than a 16MP camera. For photos, the MP are important.

enjoy,
Mtz
I am pretty sure that GoPro uses CCD sensors, yes?
Close Coupled Device?

Thanks!
Gitup has service after the sale, sending repair parts to you; GoPro gives owners runaround, and Sjcam is a question mark as to replacement !
Their website has stated that only cams bought from them will have replacement warranty honored

Yeah we have seen the megapixel race in smartphone cameras for a while now, and the best phone cameras are not the +20 megapixel ones.

As men with lesser equipment say to girls, its not what you have, its how you put it to use :D

Do make me wonder when we will see the first dual lens dashcam.
And especially DSLR cameras, and we have seen the great claims about MP

enjoy,
Mtz
Didn't both Gitup and Sjcam software engineers and employees once work together?

Didn't both Gitup and Sjcam software engineers and employees once work together?

no relation in the engineering side of things, the guys behind GitUp helped SJCAM with the marketing side of things when they first started out

Can someone confirm if "Andoer AN7000" action camera which advertises Sony IMX 117 and
Ambarella A12S75 for processing lies in the same bucket or its true indeed. The price seems not to low so they could put in those specks. Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Well that hardware should be able to give true 4K footage, the big question is if it is really that hardware inside.
Beside taking one apart i am not sure how you would be able to tell at least what chipset is used, not sure what features there is to tell a camera sensor apart from another one, at least not when installed on a PCB.

I just posted a YouTube video of information on swapping the fisheye lens out of a NAXA 4K NDC-406 with a 72 degree flat lens. This camera at the moment seems to only be available at Fry's Electronics in the US and you'll see the local Fry's store at the end of video. So I didn't have to order online just go to the store and buy one off the shelf. The lens is a Treeye from China and was shipped promptly and arrived in good shape. Fry's frequently has a promo deal on the camera for as low as $55. Also unlike many of the lens mods I've seen the dust shield on the NAXA just easily pops off using fingers and lens was easy to unscrew and screw in the flat lens. The sensor is 16:9 not square like I've seen in some of the teardowns of other cameras.

Back