New Firmware today - 2017.2.22, version number is V1.2

1.01 was present on some cameras directly from the factory and it has been offered to various persons by the support team.

Mine came with 1.0. I updated it to 1.01 and didn't change much. I made the update to 1.2 since release but didn't have the chance to drive to take some samples.

Was this Firmware 1.0 vs 1.2? Or was it 1.01 vs 1.2?

The jump from 1.0 to 1.01 was massive. If this is 1.01 to 1.2 it's even bigger!

1.0 to 1.01 actually didn't include any IQ changes. With 1.2 there's quite a difference.

Last edited:
We got a warm spring weather here in DC area, so I put the S119a V1.2 on my handlebar on the bicycle and took a rider through the National Mall. The video would have been more stabilized, if it was mounted in the car, but I don't think I will get so long trip. It was a compromise.
Here we go.

I wish I could put what I'm about to write in all of the threads, but let's start here...
The end of last week I had started to experience all of the "glitches " with my brand new A119S, factory firmware, everyone is writing about in these threads. I had purple flickering/banding, buttons not working, flickering screen, would not record except in 3-5 second segments, would not keep time/date for more than 12 hours xxxx's on the screen in small boxes at the bottom of the LCD.... etc.
at wits end, I contacted the EndGadgets to return the camera, and get a new replacement. They graciously agreed.
Late Friday night I discovered the post about the firmware update. Figuring I had zero to lose since the camera was unusable, I gave it a shot. Followed the directions on the Viofo website except I could only format the card FAT16.
Holy Hannah, it WORKED! Fixed everything that was wrong with the camera. Used it all day Saturday and a 6 hour road trip Sunday, got every second. No issues. Thanks to this forum. Spread the word!

I was fortunate enough to have an old 1GB card from an antique cell phone that I could use. Not sure how strict that 32GB rule is?

I used a 64GB as well. I think the reason they do this is formatting on the computer will not let you set it to FAT32. So format the card on the camera then bring to PC, copy over the firmware and follow instructions from there.

I used 16GB old card and update went Ok
so far no issues
I'm not sure I see much diff from 1.01
what to look for?

I updated both of my units using a 128GB Samsung Evo+ with no issues.

@viofo Just to let you know that your last firmware update 1.2 was a great success. The IQ quality was 100% improved. The traffic lights now show the true colors and license plates can be read very clear at much longer distances. I do not think that the A119S needs anymore improvement. The A119S surpasses even more expensive DVR's in quality and overall expectations. You have great engineers on your staff.

@viofo Just to let you know that your last firmware update 1.2 was a great success. The IQ quality was 100% improved. The traffic lights now show the true colors and license plates can be read very clear at much longer distances. I do not think that the A119S needs anymore improvement. The A119S surpasses even more expensive DVR's in quality and overall expectations. You have great engineers on your staff.
No sorry that's not true and I've just registered to report that 1080 60p is now broken under low light and I hope it will be solved as soon as possible. Solution: use 30p.

It's immediately visible when going from standby screen and start the recording manually: the light colours and the noise get very bad.

Oh that's interesting! I'm using default settings after reset. I will upload something later.

Oh that's interesting! I'm using default settings after reset. I will upload something later.

Forgot to to welcome you to the forum.

Welcome to forum. :)

No sorry that's not true and I've just registered to report that 1080 60p is now broken under low light and I hope it will be solved as soon as possible. Solution: use 30p.

It's immediately visible when going from standby screen and start the recording manually: the light colours and the noise get very bad.
This is probably an issue with your camera or your camera settings and not an issue with 1.2. I am on 1.2 and am not experiencing the issues you describe while filming in 1080/60.

Back