wifi IP security cameras recommendations?

dashcam newbie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi...I'm brand new to dashcam talk. I work in purchasing for a company that is looking to outfit all their trucks with dash cams. Here are the specs that I was given. Any recommendations in the under $200 range would be greatly appreciated. Help me look like a champ please! hahaha

I’m looking for some wifi IP security cameras.

Need:
30 fps
802.11 wifi
Waterproof housing
FTP storage (not cloud service)
160-180 degree fish eye lens.

Only the last requirement is flexible.

Waterproof housing?Maybe you need an action cam instead?

Whoever came up with those specs is out of touch with reality. There are probably several good cams which will serve your purposes well if they stop dreaming and get you more realistic specs. Few cams are waterproof and even fewer do wifi acceptably well and then only at short distances. File storage is universally on SD cards (almost universally micro SD format). And while many cams may claim it, not many even reach a true 160% FOV in actual use.

Every cam is a compromise. It's best to rate the features you/they want from most wanted to least important then use that to guide you to your best choices ;) Don't expect to get it all- you simply can't :( Plus you're missing some important criteria here such as needed recording time, temperature range in and out of service, how important low-light recording is, mounting schemes, and the acceptable form-factors.

We can help, but we can't produce miracles either :D

Phil

He's looking for a Security Camera ...
Plenty of WiFi , IP , Water proof , cameras out there .. FHD @ 30FPS (?) , I am sure they are available .. ( if not higher res )
I would suggest a HDD recorder , 4 channel / 8 channel and maybe a 2 or 4 TB drive / rated for Security recording .
You can connect a Wifi dongle / receiver and record to the HDD ..
You probably need a HDD Recorder because thats usually what connects to the internet / Phone ..
So you can remotely VIEW the camera VIA an app ..

There has been one advertised on TV that lets you interact with people ..
Put the cam @ your front door , and when some one rings the door bell .. Your phone rings ..
You can talk to the person @ the door and see who it is ..

My friend has a cam that is Wifi connected to his modem > internet , and VIA an app he can see whats happening at home while at work .
It records to a Micro SD card , also tilts and pans VIA the app ..

Just check out Ebay ...
But my friend got his from GB ...

Check out Banggood , Gearbest , Ebay ...
More security cams than you can shake a stick at ..

Hi...I'm brand new to dashcam talk. I work in purchasing for a company that is looking to outfit all their trucks with dash cams.

This is what I responded to instead of the thread title. I'm not sure why someone would come to a dashcam forum to inquire about something else but we've got folks here who know something of the other kinds of cams as well. I guess it will get sorted out soon enough regards what they want.

Phil

I guess I shouldn't have called it a security camera because it will be fitted as a dash cam but they were thinking of putting them on the outside of the truck so they wanted waterproof (and I assumed I'd have more luck finding a waterproof security camera than dash cam).
The reason they want wifi is because they want it to talk to a raspberry pi and the current non wifi model they are using maxes out at 9fps and they want 30fps.

Here's the one he told me to check out but I can't find any reviews on here about it so I'm pretty hesitant to buy 1000 of them hahaha
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B01M0SN42N

The camera you are linking here is entirely unsuitable for the tasks you want it to perform for a long list of reasons. There are many waterproof IP surveillance cameras available however including some designed specifically for use on trucks and fleet vehicles. They are generally more similar to residential and corporate CCTV surveillance systems than typical consumer dash cams but designed specifically for the requirements of trucks, ambulances and buses. These generally require individual modular waterproof cameras networked to a centralized NVR box (Network Video Recorder). I doubt that you will find such a device in your price range but there may be some options if you ask around in the right place. I would recommend that you post your request in a forum where you are more likely to find the information and appropriate recommendations you seek such as www.ipcamtalk.com or www.cctvforum.com/

Last edited:
I'd suggest asking them for a rethink of outside mounting. Some of the potential problems are vandalism, theft, rain/snow/ice/road grime obscuring the view, vulnerability to tree branches and objects flung from the road surface just to name a few. With the cam inside, the wipers will keep the view clear, it's more secure, and it's far less vulnerable to damage.

If there's going to be only one cam, having usable footage in every foreseeable condition cannot be compromised by allowing yourself to have avoidable problems ;)

Phil

What kind of trucks are you talking about?

What is the intended purpose for putting cams on the trucks? Monitoring the drivers, accident recording, or both?

The Axis F series modular IP camera system is pretty cool and it supports weatherproof cameras up 39 feet from the main unit. Not sure about WiFi but since it is an Ethernet capable there may be an available wireless network capability since it can do streaming. These are ideal for trucks and other mobile applications and apparently are used in ambulances, armored cars and fire trucks.

https://www.axis.com/us/en/products/axis-f-series

It's not cheap though. :(

Anyway, here is their video about the product line.

Last edited:
if it's for large trucks then you're looking at a mobile DVR which is similar to the home type DVR's but they do have some added functionality for vehicle use, external waterproof cameras are supported and available for these types of systems and pretty much necessary for the side and rear locations, buying anything in a known brand is unlikely so probably something where you're really going to need to test and try and see what suits your situation the best, the kind of system you're looking at will start around the 1k mark and go up from there depending on features, resolution, quality etc

if it's for large trucks then you're looking at a mobile DVR which is similar to the home type DVR's but they do have some added functionality for vehicle use, external waterproof cameras are supported and available for these types of systems and pretty much necessary for the side and rear locations, buying anything in a known brand is unlikely so probably something where you're really going to need to test and try and see what suits your situation the best, the kind of system you're looking at will start around the 1k mark and go up from there depending on features, resolution, quality etc

Yeah, you've pretty much described the Axis F series I mentioned above. It might be possible to do a lower cost DYI version with cameras, cables and a NVR/DVR purchased separately. Many of them have smartphone connectivity and networked WiFi capability as well.

I do like those little Axis cameras on a wire, would love one of those for my peephole in the door.
Also like the little recorder, i might put something like that on my Maruader when i win the lottery :cool:

I have used Hikvision cameras on surveillance systems for small businesses. They are really good and can do everything on your list, however you may have to compromise on frame rate or resolution due to wifi bandwidth limitations. They are weatherproof, not water proof, but you may be able to get better performance using their wired IP cameras. Also how are the trucks connecting to wifi, is it a local network or the internet, because internet bandwidth will be a limiting factor.

Back