Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2

Article about it
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/19/dashcam-video-captures-eglinton-ave-crash

Alleged impaired driving crash caught on dashcam

A dashcam video caught the moment an allegedly impaired driver slammed into another car.

The video, now posted to YouTube, was shot on Eglinton Ave. E. on Sunday afternoon and has already been watched almost 50,000 times.

It shows an unknown driver’s view of an eastbound car ahead of him swerving, driving onto a curb and taking out a road sign.

As the erratic driving continues, you can hear the driver of the car with the dashcam calling the cops.

“Oh my God!” the man shouts as the car slams into the back of another car at Eglinton Ave. and Don Mills Rd.

Toronto Police confirmed a 64-year-old man was arrested at the scene and charged with impaired driving.

Police said Thursday there were only minor injuries in the crash.

Andrew Murie with MADD Canada applauds the public for calling 911 or taping people when they are clearly impaired behind the wheel.

“I love it when people see aggressive signs of impairment and get great evidence for police,” Murie said.

But Murie adds he is against distracted driving.

“A dashcam video is OK, so is if a passenger is doing the taping,” he said. “But, as always, let the police do their job.

“I get concerned if the public get too involved or confront a (drunk) driver.”

Apparently, this guy is a fan of happy hour.

Normally i sit for a little while wondering what - who - where with dashcam recordings, but that car i picked up on pretty erly.

Too much Canadian Club ;) And for the efford i think this guy need to be taken out permanent ( out of motor vehicles )

In Ontario, we have had a high profile case where a wealthy person got into a drunk driving accident and kill a man and his three grand children. Ten year prison term and 12 year driving ban. And this is with the best criminal lawyer in the province.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/none-o...ars-mother-reacts-to-muzzo-sentence-1.2835923

So the courts here are treating drunk driving Fatalities as man slaughter.

from
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/impaired-driving.shtml

First time

• Mandatory alcohol education or treatment program
  • 1 year minimum requirement to drive a car equipped with an ignition interlock device
  • No minimum jail sentence
  • $1,000 fine
  • Licence suspended for 1 year*
Second time

• 3 year minimum requirement to drive a car equipped with an ignition interlock device
  • 30-day minimum jail sentence
  • Fine amount at the discretion of the judge
  • Licence suspended for 3 years
Third and subsequent times

• Lifetime minimum requirement to drive a car equipped with an ignition interlock device
  • 120-day minimum jail sentence
  • Fine amount at the discretion of the judge
  • Lifetime licence suspension (can be reduced to 10 years if certain conditions are met)
edit: above is for drunk driving convictions
edit: Added the word fatalities (in bold)

Last edited:
about the only car accident driver I have zero tolerance or sympathy for is when its a drunk driver or a driver under the influence of drugs who is involved in an accident, (there are others but for now)

most accidents are caused by lack of experience, distractions, and more often than not not knowing the area / layout of the area they’re driving in

but a drunk driver or a driver under the influence of drugs has put himself in that position without care for other people he might kill,

years ago when I first passed my driving test I got the impression that when drivers got caught for drink driving people and friends felt sorry for them getting caught, a bit like getting caught speeding by only a few miles over the limit.

I never had sympathy for them, they could of killed me or any member of my family for their stupidity and still think the same today. they know what they are doing but hope they can get away with it,

here in the UK (as far as I know) minimum 12 months ban and I’ve heard of 3 years driving ban, a licence wit ha 10 year endorsement (will make sure insurance for the next ten years aren’t going to be cheap) and a fine (I think up to, but not sure on this) £10K

I will add I have never drank alcohol, I have had the odd one or two sips of wine at weddings to toast the bride & groom and thats about it.

I would say he (Muzzo) got off quite easy all things considered. He killed 4 people, got a 10 year sentence (2.5 years each), and could be paroled after serving 1/3 of his total sentence (about 10 months for each life he took). :(

I guess the courts are still seeing drunk driving as involuntary manslaughter as opposed to murder. In the news, someone said he made the choice to drink, was sober when he did so, and then made the choice to drive and it should be viewed as murder.

The family is loaded. He had a stag in Florida, and flew back in a private jet, where he was drinking. Apparently he was drinking throughout the day.

It didn't go to court. I think if it was someone else without a high profile lawyer, the sentence would have been more harsh.

Edit: it was not a long court case, the judge did provide a sentence but it wasn't case with providing the sentence.

Last edited:
In the news, someone said he made the choice to drink, was sober when he did so, and then made the choice to drive and it should be viewed as murder.

thats my thinking too, it is a choice, we drink knowing we will be driving home, afterwards, we drive knowing we may be drunk

its a choice, a choice that even if no accident took place is an illegal choice but after even killing some one, getting off lightly is an insult to all those who do abide by the law

the guy knowingly drove drunk, and knew just like pointing a loaded gun at someone and pulling the trigger there is a good chance the person the gun is pointed at might be hit and might die, called murder

can’t see why drink driving is seen differently, once he got in the car he more or less pulled the trigger and in this case his bullet (car) hit/killed 4 people who’s family lives have changed forever, no sympathy in cases like these 10 years should mean 10 years,

Well to be honest i driven most of my life under the influence of cannabis, but for the most i allways waited a hour or so before i got behind the wheel.
But this was the old stuff, not the new stuff with like 3 - 4 X the THC content in it.

Still i never crashed a car, and all the other potheads i hung out with i can only think of one that ruined his car ( hit tree ) due to beeing high ( and a too poor driver for his amped up Opel )
Cant think of any one in a 2 part accident.
Offcourse this do not rule out driving high is anything but a dumbass thing to do.

O i allso driven about 200 M under the influence of alcohol, but then my 2 brain cells kicked in gear and i parked the car and walked the 2 miles home.

We dont have vehicular manslaughter here :oops: so if you want to off some one, run his ass over, down a half bottle of booze and pop a couple of pills and wait for the cops.

about the only car accident driver I have zero tolerance or sympathy for is when its a drunk driver or a driver under the influence of drugs who is involved in an accident, (there are others but for now)

Personally I rank distracted drivers right there with drunk ones. They made a conscious decision to do whatever it is that's distracting them and now they're just as bad or worse than a drunk.

Sleepy drivers too, let's not forget them. They have reaction times and mental state exactly the same as a drunk.

Sleepy drivers too, let's not forget them. They have reaction times and mental state exactly the same as a drunk.
Worse. Falling asleep is as bad as it gets. Even a micro-sleep is a short, complete loss of control.
And in fact, most drink-driving accidents have little to do with reaction times. They are in truth tiredness accidents due to the soporific effect of alcohol.

Article about it
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/19/dashcam-video-captures-eglinton-ave-crash

Alleged impaired driving crash caught on dashcam

A dashcam video caught the moment an allegedly impaired driver slammed into another car.

The video, now posted to YouTube, was shot on Eglinton Ave. E. on Sunday afternoon and has already been watched almost 50,000 times.

It shows an unknown driver’s view of an eastbound car ahead of him swerving, Best Maryland dui classes onto a curb and taking out a road sign.

As the erratic driving continues, you can hear the driver of the car with the dashcam calling the cops.

“Oh my God!” the man shouts as the car slams into the back of another car at Eglinton Ave. and Don Mills Rd.

Toronto Police confirmed a 64-year-old man was arrested at the scene and charged with impaired driving.

Police said Thursday there were only minor injuries in the crash.

Andrew Murie with MADD Canada applauds the public for calling 911 or taping people when they are clearly impaired behind the wheel.

“I love it when people see aggressive signs of impairment and get great evidence for police,” Murie said.

But Murie adds he is against distracted driving.

“A dashcam video is OK, so is if a passenger is doing the taping,” he said. “But, as always, let the police do their job.

“I get concerned if the public get too involved or confront a (drunk) driver.”

Hello,

I saw this shocking video. The driver was very dangerous it may kill people. Police have to capture him and throw him to jail for a long time. This type of practice is not been tolerated easily.

Last edited:
. Police have to capture him and throw him to jail for a long time. This type of practice is not been tolerated easily.

The police did charge him, but what ever it is, its not enough. Here, for years drunk driving has been on the decline until recently. More drunks were charged during the holidays and the super bowl that in years before.

But my theory is there is less of a visible police presence on the road and drivers are comfortable taking their chances. We actually have way more distracted drivers now, than when the distracted driving law was put in place several years ago.

Driver doing the filming was wandering across lanes as well In my country would have got done for talking on the phone whilst driving and his driving shows what can happen when distracted

Yeah, and at the start of the video, he runs two stop signs. :)

Driver doing the filming was wandering across lanes as well In my country would have got done for talking on the phone whilst driving and his driving shows what can happen when distracted

The cammer was calling 911 so arguably its legal in Ontario. From https://www.ontario.ca/page/distracted-driving

In an emergency, you can use your phone to call 911, but be sure to pull off the road to a safe area to make the call.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/distracted-driving-faq.shtml

When driving, you are not permitted to use hand-held communication and entertainment devices or view display screens unrelated to the driving task, with the following exceptions:
  • Calling 9-1-1 in an emergency situation
One says be sure to pull off the road to a safe area, which to me means it is recommended but is not mandatory, the other says you can use a hand held device in an emergency situation.

If it were me and I was driving and had someone with me, I would get the passenger to call. Also the spokesperson from MADD wasn’t crazy about the distracted driving in the video either.

Yeah, and at the start of the video, he runs two stop signs. upload_2017-3-11_7-2-39.png

And he drove a little fast in a parking lot and he didn’t turn in the right most lane after taking a right turn, but the centre. This is getting to be a problem in my area and I will be posting a near collision and a collision video soon

Back